Road Helmets, Hot Weather and Sweat

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

willmac

by willmac

Try the kask Valero. It doesn’t have a brow pad. This lets the front vents blow air up and over your forehead. I have a protons and can’t wear it and glasses when sweating profusely. Last two days have been hot as hell and I’ve come home with salt caked on everything but still being able to see clearly.

micky

by micky

I had the Protone for 2 years and only changed recently due to a crash with the new Valegro.
Protone does indeed keeps the sweat and it was rather annoying on the very hot/humid days otherwise fine all year along; my opinion is that it depends where you're living and how much you do suffer from the "sweating syndrome" to which I do suffer as well.
The Valegro so far has been so far a lot more ventilated, but haven't been used yet in very hot/humid days.
The design of the front pad is totally changed and I would guess it wouldn't create the same problem.
If Kask would mix it with the Protone, it would be a good match imho.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Rich_W wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:04 pm
Squashednuts wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:51 am
Yep, me
I like the POC Octal
Yo Squash - you gots the MIPS or Raceday version?
MIPS in "notice me and don't knock me off my bike" orange
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Squashednuts wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:23 am
MIPS in "notice me and don't knock me off my bike" orange
ha - nice!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

The Prevail II has slightly more ventilation than the old version, and the front pad has been shaped to direct sweat down your temples rather than dripping down your forehead. Plus it's less bulbous so win win.

Although I've ridden in muggy conditions, I'm yet to test it in full blast heat. The other one I like the look of is the Valegro. It seems to have a little less exposed polysytrene, but it's even more expensive.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

Best- Kask Valegro ( no brow pad)

Absolute worst helmet I've ever used- Bell Zephyr ( thick pads that fill with sweat and blind you within 45 minutes. So poor, I could not wear if temp over 60F)

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Rich_W wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:20 am
Thanks everyone for the replies. Was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the POC
I've ridden with a POC Octal for about 4 years now (I think it was before they had a MIPS or Raceday version) and while I notice that the pads are seemingly retaining a lot of sweat and drip quite a bit now I never remember it being an issue in previous seasons so it may just need new pads. Other than that, if you like the look, it's been a great helmet and I have no complaints!
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Rich_W wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:20 am
dastott wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:02 am
Good old fashioned cycling cap. Can also wear it backwards to protect the back of your neck from sunburn.
I should of added I'm not a fan of of holding in the heat with cycling caps in hot weather. Though back in the day we used to cut the tops off them Tafi style.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the POC
You can also soak a cap or head bandana in cold water and enjoy an hour or so of evaporative cooling on hot days.

dcorn

by dcorn

4ibanez wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:42 pm
The Prevail II has slightly more ventilation than the old version, and the front pad has been shaped to direct sweat down your temples rather than dripping down your forehead. Plus it's less bulbous so win win.

Although I've ridden in muggy conditions, I'm yet to test it in full blast heat. The other one I like the look of is the Valegro. It seems to have a little less exposed polysytrene, but it's even more expensive.
I've had the Prevail II since it was released and it is no better than the original for keeping sweat off your face/glasses. I was excited to hear it had a 'gutter' system for the brow pad, but it doesn't work IMO. I'm a very heavy sweater in any conditions other than freezing cold. The brow pad on the Prevail II is a huge sponge just like the original. I have to take my glasses off and squeeze the sweat out every once in a while and a TON of water comes out. My glasses are constantly getting dripped on, extremely annoying. I really like the look and feel of the helmet (and the team discount), so I really don't want to switch.

Any other good systems to prevent this issue? Headsweats work at all?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I wasn't too thrilled with the sweat band on my Spec helmet. I don't think ANY of the helmets have a decent solution. You're probably best off removing the front pad. Maybe put a piece of cloth on the velcro.

blueturtle

by blueturtle

+1 Kask Valegro. A helmet designed for hot weather. Also extremely lightweight.

ms6073

by ms6073

bremerradkurier wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:49 pm
You can also soak a cap or head bandana in cold water and enjoy an hour or so of evaporative cooling on hot days.
Unless the OP lives in an area with high humidity like we do, in which case there is little no evaporative cooling and your helmet then begins to act like a slow cooker. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Do antiperspirants work on bald heads?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

antiperspirants may work, if it completely dry out and don't drip into your eyes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

Heat is a big deal here in Utah. I don't know what is best, but it seems like we have a lot of riders, including myself, who wear a Headsweats or Halo style headcap, and the helmets that have a good reputation for ventilation are Spec Prevail II, Catlike Mixino, and Giro Aeon. I am riding a Giro Atmos, which is an older model precursor to the Aeon.
Admittedly Utah is a very dry heat, so ventilation/airflow become the primary concerns, not sweat drainage. But I think ventilation has always got to help.
The Headsweats distributes the sweat over the head for a larger evaporative surface area. I actually like the Halo "ridge" design because it channels the sweat to the sides of my face rather than right down into the sunglasses and eyes.