Ybn ti 11 speed chains

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ride1970

by ride1970

Hi, I’ve tried searching but not getting recent info. I’m considering buying this chain to go with etap, claviculas and praxis rings. Does anyone have some experience/feedback of this chains performance.
Thanks in advance :D

by Weenie

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I found YBN’s steel chains heavier than claimed and heavier than just about every other brand of chain except Wippermann, so I’m not sure you would save that much weight going with a Ti chain. You would lose significant durability though as it is a far more ductile metal than steel.

ride1970

by ride1970

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:59 pm
I found YBN’s steel chains heavier than claimed and heavier than just about every other brand of chain except Wippermann, so I’m not sure you would save that much weight going with a Ti chain. You would lose significant durability though as it is a far more ductile metal than steel.
From what I’ve read on here, it’s a ti coating on a steel chain. I don’t find any real longer term reviews though.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There’s YBN chains with a Titanium-Nitride plating and there’s another much more expensive chain with titanium rollers (though it turns out the plates and pins are steel.)

Regarding YBN’s coating process, my black coated YBN chains started losing their coating immediately on the inner plates, so whatever their doing is inferior to KMC’s plating method.