Canyon Ultimate and Airoad question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

I'm looking at purchasing a Canyon Ultimate or Airoad SLX 8.0 Di2 Disc. I'm in the US, so the bikes would have Ultegra 8070 and either Reynolds Strike SLG disc wheels (Airoad) or Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon C Disc wheels (Ultimate). (I won't be using those wheels; I'll be selling them immediatly.) My problem is that I cannot make head nor tail of the posted weights on Canyon's site. As listed, the Ultimate SLX 8.0 Di2 Disc weighs 300g more than the Airoad SLX 8.0 Di2 Disc in otherwise similar spec (Ultegra 8070) which seems odd to me, and the eTap Airoad build weighs 500g more than the Dura Ace Di2 Airoad build, with wheelsets that only differ in weight by 75g. Does anyone have any frame weights or complete bike weights (any build, I can extropolate to my build specs) for the Canyon Airoad disc or Ultimate disc?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcycling

by madcycling

I am also curious about this.

I am comparing the ultimate cf slx 8.0 di2 disc to the same specced endurace and Ultimate SL versions.

Although wheels are different, the SL with 7,3 kg seems to be lighter even if you put the same mavic wheels on as the cf slx. Would be 7,6 kg for the SL and 7,8 kg for the SLX then. Why would I buy the slx if the SL is lighter and has all the same specs and is much cheaper.

Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 Di2 Disc 7,8 kg (wheels 1770g)

Ultimate CF SL 8.0 Di2 Disc 7,3kg(wheels 1470g)

Endurace CF SLX 8.0 Di2 Disc 7,4 kg

dcorn

by dcorn

My Aeroad in size Small weighed about 17.8 lbs if I recall correctly. Maybe a bit more. That's with R8070 disc, Canyon garmin mount, stock reynolds wheels and tires, Specialized plastic rib cages, and Powertap P1S pedals (single side power). It ain't light if that's what you're looking for. But I'm no lightweight myself, and I've been pleasantly surprised how well the bike goes up a hill.

leandrofresh

by leandrofresh

I bought 2 bikes from Canyon, and the listed weight was spot on. So I would say that there is no reason to untrust the listed weight. It may vary with the size. I believe the weight listed stands for the M size. Maybe a typo? Why don't you ask them on the chat?

EdnaHall

by EdnaHall

However, I would prefer routing in a recess to internal routing, as you never know how tight the internal routing will be...????

Beaver

by Beaver

You should expect around a bit less than 200g difference for the framesets alone. But if weight is important, why disc? Do you ride a lot in the rain and mountains?

Disc for the same price is quite heavier, for the same weight quite more expensive. Technically the differences are between "very good" and "good". The times with destroyed carbon clinchers for rim brakes are gone with the new textured brake tracks.

And Reynolds Strike wheels are prone to crosswinds, question is how sensible you are for that.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

Beaver wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:33 am
You should expect around a bit less than 200g difference for the framesets alone. But if weight is important, why disc? Do you ride a lot in the rain and mountains?

Disc for the same price is quite heavier, for the same weight quite more expensive. Technically the differences are between "very good" and "good". The times with destroyed carbon clinchers for rim brakes are gone with the new textured brake tracks.

And Reynolds Strike wheels are prone to crosswinds, question is how sensible you are for that.
A few points: I do ride almost exclusively in the mountins, living on the front range of Colorado and I do ride in poor weather quite a bit. After riding exclusively on disc brakes for the last two years I won't go back to rim brakes. The weight gain is more than worth it for me. (If I lived somewhere where the majority of my riding was on the flat and in good weather, I might feel differently.) As to wheels I'll be selling off whatever the bikes come with. The plan is to build up another pair of Light Bicycle 46mm clinchers with a pair of Industry Nine Torch Road Centerlock disc hubs. They should come to around 1450 g and I find them very easy to handle in crosswinds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

In this case, you are doing everything the right way. ;)

At 45km/h the aero difference between the two frames with the same wheels will be around 10 watts average of all yaw angles, when you will need around 450 watts overall, so close to 0.5km/h. If your average speed is 30km/h the aero gain will quite smaller (0.15km/h) and maybe even eaten up by the weight difference in the mountains - so just decide by the look you prefer. ;)