Power meter options for DA 7900

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I’m looking for a single sided PM to go with my DA7900 crankset. They have refurbed Stages units on ebay but they are not the right length. I have 172.5 arms and they only have super long and super short arms left. I guess I could wait around for a used 172.5 left arm to come up for sale...

I am also checking out the Pioneer PM, where you can send them your arm for them to install a PM on. They are a bit more expensive than the stages. Anyone using the single sided Pioneer?

The Stages customer service mentioned using a DA 9000 arm with my setup. The color of the arms are similar, but the DA9000 arm is fatter than the DA7900 arm. I don't think I could handle the mismatch.

Any other suggestions for a power meter newbie? If I cant find something to work with my existing setup, I’ll just save up to buy a DA9000 double sided setup.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Any reason you're not considering pedal options. Of all the meters I've tested, if you can get over the bulbous looking pod, assioma's hold their own against every other meter I've tested it against (powertaps, srm p2max, drivo, etc). By far the simplest and highest accuracy pedal I've used. 500 USD for single sided, 800 USD for dual. I'd take them over Vector 2 (installation pia), v3 has some battery door issues and supply issues to be resolved and needs pedal wrench, and personally powertap P1's are in the band of accuracy but for me they bounce around the band because they are based on pedal rotation not crank rotation if I understand correctly -- tried several sets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

I'll make you a deal-I have a used 172.5 7900 that I'd trade for a 9000 and throw in $75. I'm using it currently on a 9000 crankset.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

savechief

by savechief

Your best bet is probably a used Stages left arm. Looking at the Pioneer website, I'm not seeing that they have an option for a consumer supplied 7900 crank arm. Another option would be a used SRM.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I had not considered the pedal option. How much do they weigh compared to normal pedals? One of the things I like about a single sided Stages PM is it only adds 22 grams. Or so they claim

I guess I’ll keep an eye out for a used DA7900 Stages arm. They seem to come up every once and a while in my size.

Bummer about the Pioneer PM. I saw the kit online and assumed they could install it on almost any arm. I should have known they probably only do the newer models like Stages does.

The DA9000 power meter sets aren't terribly expensive I guess. I just have to decide whether its worth it to have double sided info. And the crankset would match the DA7900 stuff for the most part as far as the color scheme.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Assioma = 150g per side while say a look keo 2 max = 130g per side, going to the top look of carbon blade TI = 95gram so it really depends on what you're currently on. If you're on top end super light titanium spindle carbon spring pedal its about 50gram a side, but if you're on something more common like ultegra pedals = 124 per side for 8000 series it's more like 20 - 25g a side. So similar weight different to the arms now.

robertbb

by robertbb

kwakekeham wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:03 pm
Any reason you're not considering pedal options. Of all the meters I've tested, if you can get over the bulbous looking pod, assioma's hold their own against every other meter I've tested it against (powertaps, srm p2max, drivo, etc). By far the simplest and highest accuracy pedal I've used. 500 USD for single sided, 800 USD for dual. I'd take them over Vector 2 (installation pia), v3 has some battery door issues and supply issues to be resolved and needs pedal wrench, and personally powertap P1's are in the band of accuracy but for me they bounce around the band because they are based on pedal rotation not crank rotation if I understand correctly -- tried several sets.
Assiomas are awesome. Not only that, but the pod really isn't all that big at all. Certainly stands out *less* than many of the crank based power meters out there. May look big in pics but that's because the pedal body itself is really quite slim and low profile.

Mine have been flawless in every way, easy to install/transfer, easy to use, easy to manage firmware via the app, reliable, consistent... you can easily remove the sticker and they're very stealthy. They weigh what they say on the tin (very light) and they just "work". Easy to service/maintain. Best pedal meter out there by daylight - I'm sooo glad I got mine.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I checked out the Favero website. Those pedals are pretty cool. It would be really cool to have a double sided PM without having to change out the crankset

My current pedals are 200 grams for the pair (Time Xpresso 8 ). The Assioma pedals would add around 100 grams total to the bike.

Has anyone tested the pedals long term? And how is customer service from Favero if there is an issue?
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I just noticed they even have the bearings rebuild kit for the Assioma pedals. Pretty smart
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

dricked

by dricked

Customer service is very good and responsive. I had a creaky right pedal that I fixed by adding a little more grease to the spindle (took 5min tops) but they were very quick to respond trying to help sort the issue. I’ve got around 400km on mine so far and love them.

robertbb

by robertbb

I came from SpeedPlay Zero's and expected the difference in weight to be an issue. It wasn't, I didn't notice any difference. If anything, the pedal platform felt wayyy more solid and stable.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I ended up buying a single side 4iiii power meter. It’s DA9000, so I’ll have to get the matching crankset eventually too.

The 4iiii PM module only adds 9 grams to the crankarm. And I can send the drive side of a DA9000 crankset to them to make it dual sided in the future.

I’m finally going to have to buy a cycling computer and stop using my phone and Strava as my only data source. I’m looking at the Garmin Edge 130. It does what I need and is only 33 grams.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com