Commuter Frame suggestion (discs, fenders, 28c tires, light)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MichaelB

by MichaelB

+1 for the Kinesis. I've got one and already done over 4,500km since I built it at Xmas (and 48,000m elevation).

Sub 8kg might be a stretch, but it fits all your other requirements. Discs are flat mountsand I run a dynohub, and used the upper frame internal routing for the wire. I got my frame for A$760 which is about USD$570. Bargain.

mentok

by mentok

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:25 am
I got my frame for A$760 which is about USD$570. Bargain.
Where from? CRC had limited sizes for something like that last week, but now sold out. Frustratingly, the Aithein disc can be had cheaper than the racelight :\

Also, assuming you're michaelb from bicycles.net.au?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DarthKrutall

by DarthKrutall

MichaelB wrote:
+1 for the Kinesis. I've got one and already done over 4,500km since I built it at Xmas (and 48,000m elevation).

Sub 8kg might be a stretch, but it fits all your other requirements. Discs are flat mountsand I run a dynohub, and used the upper frame internal routing for the wire. I got my frame for A$760 which is about USD$570. Bargain.
Yeah, agree it’s going to be tight on the 8kg mark. I got the spreadsheet going and the scales out each time I buy a new part
But if I do get sub 8kg excluding pedals, bottle cages and computer mount I’d be happy. Going with discs seems to be where you get stung

A and in AUD? I got mine for $560 AUD from Pushy’s, was a real bargain I couldn’t pass up at the time especially as it was in my correct size

MichaelB

by MichaelB

mentok wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:54 am
MichaelB wrote:
I got my frame for A$760 which is about USD$570. Bargain.
Where from? CRC had limited sizes for something like that last week, but now sold out. Frustratingly, the Aithein disc can be had cheaper than the racelight :\

Also, assuming you're michaelb from bicycles.net.au?
Bought from a local seller in Aus, Pushys.

And yes :D

And @ DarthKrutall - yep, you got a better deal. A week after I bought mine, the price went down :roll:

mentok

by mentok

Guess I'm setting up a scraper for pushys then ;) Can't bring myself to pay $900 when they've been as low as 560 :o

penum

by penum

Thought I would update this thread.

I sold the Threshold for what I bought it for and started accumulating some sram red bits, turbiltos and kept my favorite Fabric seat from the previous bikes.

I purchased a 2017 Kona Wheelhouse on clearance for $1900 CDN. It is going to be a task and possibly impossible to get it down to 18lbs, but we will see.

I missed out on a used Red GXP crankset for cheap so I am still on the hunt for that and red shifters, cassette.

For some reason Alex CDX4 wheels come in at under 1600 grams and are very cheap, so they are tempting purcahse to swap out the cdx8 that the wheel house comes with (1900 grams). More expensive options are Venn RC35s, Hunt all rounders or some light bicycle option I have not yet explored. THey are all the same weight but I am not sure which will spin up fastest. Any feedback?

Once I get the bike I will post the weight changes as I tear heavy Tiagra bits off and get hopefully a complete albeit used Sram Red setup.

How does one get on the marketplace here? I seem to be able to see it on my phone but not the computer.

Thanks for all the help thus far!
Attachments
2017-kona-ride-3.jpg
part block.jpg

upacs

by upacs

If you are not alergic to chinese framesets...

https://www.icanbikes.com/html/Cross_Country/266.html

I got one last year, $475 for frameset (frame, fork headset) for a winter/bad weather commuting bike. Has been nothing other than awesome so far. Installed tubeless 28c tyres and sometimes take the gravel route to the office.

Is it as good as my Scott Foil? well, no. It's not quite as stiff, or quite as light, or responsive. But it has fender/mudguard mounts (and even rack mounts), has discs, threaded bottom bracket (major plus in my book), thru-axles. And, very importantly, you can buy it directly from the manufacturer. No eBay/aliexpress jobs were you don't really know where the frame comes from.

IIRC, during my research I found that Ribble (or was it Planet-X?) often rebrand ICAN frames as their own. So I get that's one vote of confidence at least

EDIT: agh, sorry, just realized this is an old post and you already found a frame

penum

by penum

Good info nonetheless!

markdjr

by markdjr

The Lynskey Pro Cross comes with fender mounts and clearance for at least 42c tires w/fenders. I've been using it as my do all bike and been very happy with it. Frame came from ebay for about $700USD. You could also add fender mounts to any other cheap ebay Lynskey for a nominal fee.

penum

by penum

UPDATE:

After receiving the Wheelhouse I immediately stiped everything off of it save for the brakes, seat collar, stem and headset.

I added:
-Sram red 10spd cranks (50/34) - 590grams
-Red red 22 derailleurs
-Sram force levers
-Sram red cassette and chain
-Hunt aero 30 wheels
-CRC carbon bars
-FSA SLK carbon seat post
-Shimano XT centre lock rotors
-Fabric seat
-Tubiltos
-Continenal 4000sii 28c tires
-carbon cages
-old heavey 105 pedals
Total weight 19.2lbs/8.71kg

To get to my 18lbs goal I could go to 25c tires, lighter pedals, and change the stem.

Of course I added fenders so that adds a lot of heft.

Ride is smooth. Not fast but smooth.
JpGnVfa.jpg