Commuter Frame suggestion (discs, fenders, 28c tires, light)

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
penum
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:35 am

by penum

Hi All,

I picked up a '14 Norco threshold (force drivetrain) for commuting duties last fall so I could survive commuting on the wet coast (Vancouver) through winter.

The 'race'bike ('11 BMC road racer) does not have clearence for fenders once I went to 25c tires and I wanted full mounted fenders instead of the fincky plastic Crud type.

I find that I am most likely to ride after work to club rides or fast paced long routes home with friends but the 11.4kg Threshold (without bottle, spare, lights etc!) just does not keep up easily. The wheels are heavy, and I think overall I do not love cross geomtery. I contemplating upgrading everything but for a bike I'm not in love with.

I'd love a custom steel frame but do not want to spend $2k for a frameset so I have been trying to find an off the shelf max $1k frameset. I thought I was set on steel but the Kona Esatto Ti peaked my interest used if I could get my hands on one in my size but no luck yet. Lynskey's rarely seem to come with fender mounts in road geometry.

Any suggestions to build a club worthy rig aiming for 18ish pounds w/discs fender mounts and clearance for 28c tires for relatively cheap frameset wise?

The Holbrook competition looked amazing for the price point but of course it does not come with a disc option.

This is one of the few options I have found that features road geo, fenders and disc brakes but am unsure of weight, geometry or how it handles:

https://store.fairdalebikes.com/collect ... e-fork-kit
Attachments
bmc.PNG
threshold.PNG

DarthKrutall
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 2:16 am

by DarthKrutall

Kinesis Racelight 4S

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... ht/4S-DISC

Im in the process of buiding one at the moment, aiming for 8kg with discs

Image

by Weenie


User avatar
TonyM
Posts: 2585
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:11 pm

by TonyM

Focus Paralane:
Fenders
28mm tires
Discs
Light for a commuter

https://www.focus-bikes.com/int/paralane


Review:
http://road.cc/content/review/218220-fo ... ne-ultegra



Image

User avatar
jekyll man
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:23 am
Location: Pack filler

by jekyll man

DarthKrutall wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:30 am
Kinesis Racelight 4S

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... ht/4S-DISC

Im in the process of buiding one at the moment, aiming for 8kg with discs

Image
Is this the 1 that doesnt use thru axle wheels, and is caliper and disc compatible?
Official cafe stop tester

zmjones
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:55 am
Contact:

by zmjones

jekyll man wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:41 am
DarthKrutall wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:30 am
Kinesis Racelight 4S

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... ht/4S-DISC

Im in the process of buiding one at the moment, aiming for 8kg with discs

Image
Is this the 1 that doesnt use thru axle wheels, and is caliper and disc compatible?
yes. QRs with discs is real annoying imo.

jeanjacques
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:01 am
Location: France

by jeanjacques

zmjones wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:45 pm
QRs with discs is real annoying imo.
Not with Thru Bolt axle. Nearly all the benefit of thru axle. This solution is too little known.

zmjones
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:55 am
Contact:

by zmjones

jeanjacques wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:13 pm
zmjones wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:45 pm
QRs with discs is real annoying imo.
Not with Thru Bolt axle. Nearly all the benefit of thru axle. This solution is too little known.
how does that work?

jeanjacques
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:01 am
Location: France

by jeanjacques

Can't say much more than a google image research (several manufacturer make it but DT Swiss have lot of choice). The hub is like a thru axle one and you have an axle who go through (10mm rear, 9mm front), so the bike dropout seat on the axle. If the 142mm rear allow a better spoke angle this option will be great but it's the same of the 135mm.
Thru bolt come from MTB world, it's used since decade with disc.

mike001100
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:26 am

by mike001100

Focus Izalco Max Disc meets all, except 28c tires.

Scott Addict Disc might meet all.

vejnemojnen
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 pm

by vejnemojnen

I should suggest you to take a look around rosebikes offerings. Although those are available as complete bikes, but the value is incredibly good.

and bd has some nice cube frames on sale currently as well

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/fr ... &o=rabattr


penum
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:35 am

by penum

vejnemojnen wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 pm
I should suggest you to take a look around rosebikes offerings. Although those are available as complete bikes, but the value is incredibly good.

and bd has some nice cube frames on sale currently as well

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/fr ... &o=rabattr
Those Cube frames are serious bargains too bad they will not ship over to Canada or the US!

Good suggestions thus far, thank you. It is too bad there are not many off the shelf steel frames that cover off the list. That holdsworth is great otherwise.

coriordan
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm

by coriordan

Fair light strael 2.0

penum
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:35 am

by penum

penum wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:01 pm
vejnemojnen wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:09 pm
I should suggest you to take a look around rosebikes offerings. Although those are available as complete bikes, but the value is incredibly good.

and bd has some nice cube frames on sale currently as well

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/fr ... &o=rabattr
Those Cube frames are serious bargains too bad they will not ship over to Canada or the US!

Good suggestions thus far, thank you. It is too bad there are not many off the shelf steel frames that cover off the list. That holdsworth is great otherwise.
After some further research, would anyone know what fork would fit the attain disc (carbon)? Seems like these are cheap since their is no more stock in the matching forks.

Many thanks!

vejnemojnen
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 pm

by vejnemojnen

the frames were cheap before, when the appropriate forks were stzill available. In fact, there was a huge sale on the forks as well, so one could buy a frame-fork set for heavy discount a few weeks ago.

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post