Hidden Bolt vs Non-Hidden Bolt

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JScycle

by JScycle

Hi WW,
I need your help and expert advice!
I'm looking to buy a quarq power meter.
I understand the difference between hidden bolt and non-hidden bolt but what are the benefits and disadvantages.
Why should I choose one over the other?

Regards,
Josh

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

Hidden bolt looks cooler. Hidden bolt is slightly more propietary because it needs the chain drop pin at a chainring bolt hole.

That's it.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

JScycle

by JScycle

2lo8 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:52 am
Hidden bolt looks cooler. Hidden bolt is slightly more propietary because it needs the chain drop pin at a chainring bolt hole.

That's it.
So if I decided to use another brand of chainrings in the future eg praxis or similar would they work on a hidden bolt crankset or would I need a non-hidden bolt crankset

glepore

by glepore

praxis have a removable drop pin, as do the latest sram chainrings, that allow you to set the ring up for either configuration. The only difference is where on the ring the pin that keeps the chain from dropping and wedging in the arm is located.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

2lo8

by 2lo8

Or if you don't buy a chainring with a pin in the correct position, or mounting provisions for the pin the the proper position, be willing to have your crank arms chewed up and have your chain wedged and stuck if you ever drop a chain over the outisde of the big ring.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

JScycle

by JScycle

glepore wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:00 am
praxis have a removable drop pin, as do the latest sram chainrings, that allow you to set the ring up for either configuration. The only difference is where on the ring the pin that keeps the chain from dropping and wedging in the arm is located.
So that basically means it doesn't matter what crankset you buy?

I will be going with the quarq carbon version not the sram red version (to match future groupsets etc) and found it is available in 110HB and 110NHB so just wanting to know what to pick.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

In all honesty you should pick the NHB version of the Quarq PM...The benefit of HB is completely lost with the removable spider.

JScycle

by JScycle

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:23 am
In all honesty you should pick the NHB version of the Quarq PM...The benefit of HB is completely lost with the removable spider.
What do you mean by the benefit is lost?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

JScycle wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:29 am

What do you mean by the benefit is lost?
On a regular Red HB crank, there is weight savings and perhaps an increase in stiffness because the 5th arm is integrated into the crankarm. In the HB Quarq/Red DZero crankset there is no such integration. You have a separate crankarm that bolts into a 5-arm spider. The only difference is the orientation of the bolt pattern.