budget light frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pahorpe

by pahorpe

Hi, I was thinking about a budget sub 7-6.5 kg project. Any good ideas where can I find a cheap light carbon frame? Size 52 or S. I prefer a traditional geometry. Which models should I look for? Thank you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kman

by kman

If you want cheap, go with alloy. I'd take something like a CAAD10 over a cheap carbon frame any day of the week and you should be able to build it up to that weight easily - especially in a small size.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

DarthKrutall

by DarthKrutall

kman wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:10 am
If you want cheap, go with alloy. I'd take something like a CAAD10 over a cheap carbon frame any day of the week and you should be able to build it up to that weight easily - especially in a small size.
Yep, quality alloy over cheap carbon any day of the week

An alternative to a CAAD could also be Canyon's Ultimate AL SLX, has a similar weight at 1170g

RussellS

by RussellS

I think the Fuji SL frame is very light. 700 or so grams. Or maybe 800. Look it up. There are threads on this forum. Price around $1999 or so. And the Trek Emonda frame is $3000 I think. 700 or so grams. Those might be the top two "cheap" super light weight frames around. All the other super light frames are a few extra thousands. "Cheap" is tricky to define.

And your thread name is "budget light frame". But you fail to give an exact, specific budget. $100? $500? $1000? $2000? $3000? $5000? What does "budget" mean?

TonyM

by TonyM

The cheapest for new frames: Ali!

Or buy used frames! So many people selling their frame because a newer model is available. For example Sl6 Tarmac vs. "old" SL5 Tarmac, etc....

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I can get the TCR SL at my dealer for $2100 out the door. That frame is as good as it gets for a climbing or all around bike.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

pahorpe

by pahorpe

Is it possible to build a sub 7kg bike with 1500€? I find it hard if I build it from scratch - it is probably easier to buy a used bike and changr just some parts. But it is not as fun. :) And sory for not beeing clear - I am looking for a used frame as my budget is limited. Thank you guys that is my favorite forum!

2lo8

by 2lo8

pahorpe wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:25 am
Is it possible to build a sub 7kg bike with 1500€?
Yes, but you won't be using the best parts. You're going to be using parts with best $/g ratio and possibly making some performance and durability comrpomises.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

pahorpe wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:25 am
Is it possible to build a sub 7kg bike with 1500€? I find it hard if I build it from scratch - it is probably easier to buy a used bike and changr just some parts. But it is not as fun. :) And sory for not beeing clear - I am looking for a used frame as my budget is limited. Thank you guys that is my favorite forum!
Sram Rival with Fulcrum RS chainset is the answer. (or RRS, which is incredibly discounted on zweirad stadler)

Support them with some Prime wheelset from wiggle, deda zero100 or even chinese carbon finish kit, and it should be covered nicely for little budget

https://shop.zweirad-stadler.de/Fahrrad ... -x-10.html

rival parts or group readily available from ribble or other retailer.

prime wheels from crc or wiggle.

for deda parts, I'd recommend ribble.

oh and I'd rather opt for a budget carbon frame, due to compliance and robustness. Ie.: BMC SLR03...

pahorpe

by pahorpe

Which frame should I look for? Let's say under 500€... Obviously used. I am not sure about Chinese frames, maybe for a saddle or a seatpost... I was looking for a used supersix or a R3 but prices on ebay are too high. Thank you for your help, many good suggestions guys.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

where are you located and what frame size are you looking for?

pahorpe

by pahorpe

vejnemojnen wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:16 am
where are you located and what frame size are you looking for?
Slovenia (EU). A size 52 or S would be perfect.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

I'd suggest even a trip to Hungary. Konuszbikes, Maxi-Bike or private listers often has good offers. If you have FB account, it worth to request admission to groups with classifieds for bikes.

Due to the lack of buyers who have the necessary funding for expensive bikes, they are forced to keep the prices low. And the HUF-EUR exchange rate is also favorable for EU buyers. I'll send a PM

pahorpe

by pahorpe

vejnemojnen wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:02 am
I'd suggest even a trip to Hungary. Konuszbikes, Maxi-Bike or private listers often has good offers. If you have FB account, it worth to request admission to groups with classifieds for bikes.

Due to the lack of buyers who have the necessary funding for expensive bikes, they are forced to keep the prices low. And the HUF-EUR exchange rate is also favorable for EU buyers. I'll send a PM
great , thank you

shoon

by shoon

RussellS wrote:I think the Fuji SL frame is very light. 700 or so grams. Or maybe 800. Look it up. There are threads on this forum. Price around $1999 or so. And the Trek Emonda frame is $3000 I think. 700 or so grams. Those might be the top two "cheap" super light weight frames around. All the other super light frames are a few extra thousands. "Cheap" is tricky to define.

And your thread name is "budget light frame". But you fail to give an exact, specific budget. $100? $500? $1000? $2000? $3000? $5000? What does "budget" mean?
Only Trek emonda slr is at the weight u stated and it's Super ex. Normal emonda is about 1kg for the frame.
Suggest go for fuji SL 1.1 frame for lightness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com