budget light frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motty89

by motty89

For used super light frames I find the older cannondale ss himod and scott addict go quite cheaply. I got an old scott addict r2 in good condition for £200 size 54. Weighed the frame at 820g with derailleur hanger + headset cups and fork is 300g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pahorpe

by pahorpe

vejnemojnen wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:43 pm
I believe it was sent, but:

https://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/article/1 ... c?ref=shop

new, from shop, possibly with warranty, and within Slovenian borders.. What's not to like?
I really do not like the paintjob. This is a great deal and I saw it. It would be a great way to start a light project on a budget. I was thinkink stripping the paint and repainting it but then this is another 200€ minimal.

pahorpe

by pahorpe

motty89 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:13 pm
For used super light frames I find the older cannondale ss himod and scott addict go quite cheaply. I got an old scott addict r2 in good condition for £200 size 54. Weighed the frame at 820g with derailleur hanger + headset cups and fork is 300g.
Where did you buy it? Ebay?

pahorpe

by pahorpe

motty89 wrote:
Old cannondale supersix hi mod is on top of my list. I bought an used supersix with sram red and under 1400g wheelset for ny father in law for just 1100€. I could find a complete bike and keep just the frame but buying just a frane is much easier.

RussellS

by RussellS

2lo8 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:53 pm
Go ask anyone who makes a median income in a first world country if they think $3000 for a bicycle frame, not even a complete bicycle, is expensive. Go ask someone who runs a Trek or Fuji dealer what the median price of a bicycle they sell is. $300 car? You mean something over 20 years old, 200k miles and in dire need of repairs?

I'm sorry, but you're grossly out of touch with reality.
No. It is you who is out of touch with reality. I'm sure the median price for the Trek dealer in my town is about $3500. Includes new $150 helmet, $250 shoes, $300 pedals.
As for the median income person thinking a bicycle is expensive, is that person driving his 7 year financed $75,000 SUV or 4x4 pcik up crew cab? $3000 bicycle frame is expensive, but $100,000 pick up is affordable. $300 cars are easy to find. Yet you wasted $3000 on a motorcycle? Wow.

Multebear

by Multebear

motty89 wrote:
This

If you can´t find one of those, then take a look at the FM066sl chinese frame. Regardless of what ppl say about chinese frames, this one is the bomb, it's light, and it's proven in all sorts of conditions and configurations. It's a knock off of the previous Cervelo R5. There's tons of info on this frame both on this forum and other places. Several vendors sell them. And if you want, you can build a very light bike out of it.

This one is not the same chinese frame, but it could give you some inspiration.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=108235

AJS914

by AJS914

pahorpe wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:31 pm
Old cannondale supersix hi mod is on top of my list. I bought an used supersix with sram red and under 1400g wheelset for ny father in law for just 1100€. I could find a complete bike and keep just the frame but buying just a frane is much easier.

The other way to do it on the cheap is to buy a whole bike and part it out. For example, I bought a Time bike with Record 10 speed for $1300. It had Record "red" logo levers which alone I sold to a collector in Japan for $600. I sold most of the other parts I didn't need and ended up with a free frame.

I bought my S-Works Crux with a set of spendy Zipp 303 tubulars. I sold those wheels for $1000 and put on a $350 set of aluminum wheels with DT hubs which made my whole price for the bike pretty inexpensive.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Yep, I bought a 2008 TCR Advanced rocking 7800 and Ksyrium ES for AU$600 and sold the Dura-Ace group for $560. Definitely the way to go - but you need to hold out for a bike in good enough condition so the resale value of the parts is there.

2lo8

by 2lo8

RussellS wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:52 pm
2lo8 wrote:
Go ask anyone who makes a median income in a first world country if they think $3000 for a bicycle frame, not even a complete bicycle, is expensive. Go ask someone who runs a Trek or Fuji dealer what the median price of a bicycle they sell is. $300 car? You mean something over 20 years old, 200k miles and in dire need of repairs?

No. It is you who is out of touch with reality. I'm sure the median price for the Trek dealer in my town is about $3500. Includes new $150 helmet, $250 shoes, $300 pedals.
As for the median income person thinking a bicycle is expensive, is that person driving his 7 year financed $75,000 SUV or 4x4 pcik up crew cab? $3000 bicycle frame is expensive, but $100,000 pick up is affordable. $300 cars are easy to find. Yet you wasted $3000 on a motorcycle? Wow.
How does this even make sense in your head?

Housing prices of real estate assets including land, average car being a $100k pick up not as a bussiness expense, easy to find functioning $300 cars that aren't more trouble than they're worth, LBS selling half their bikes at $3500 or above, $3000 on a bicycle frame being not expensive? Am I just being trolled, or do people like this actually exist?
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

RyanH

by RyanH

This conversation is drifting off topic into the twilight zone. Russell, I suggest you lookup what the median household income is in the United States (and also that median means half of the US makes less than that and household means probably more than a single person).

themidge

by themidge

IMO a 'cheap' frameset is less than £800 for a lightweight carbon one, and more like less than £500 for a heavier carbon or alloy one. My 2008 supersix (not evo, nor hi-mod) frameset weighs about 1500g (frame AND forks) and cost just £320.
It is often worth waiting around a bit buying used so you can get just the right thing, but older Scott, Cannondale and Giant carbon frames are all quite light. Also, if you can't find the colour you want, perhaps consider spending some of the money you're saved by buying used to repaint it.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

https://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/article/1 ... ungefahren

nice upgrade if you haven't purchased wheels yet

RussellS

by RussellS

2lo8 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:25 am
RussellS wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:52 pm
2lo8 wrote:

How does this even make sense in your head?

Housing prices of real estate assets including land, average car being a $100k pick up not as a bussiness expense, easy to find functioning $300 cars that aren't more trouble than they're worth, LBS selling half their bikes at $3500 or above, $3000 on a bicycle frame being not expensive? Am I just being trolled, or do people like this actually exist?
Not sure why you brought up housing prices. In the USA in 2017, there were 2.2 million full size pickups sold. GM, Ford, Dodge. The average full size pickup price in the USA in Dec. 2017 was $47,600. Full size SUV was $83,000, midsize SUV was $55,000. Add in $10-15 thousand interest over a finance period and you are at $75,000. Yet you believe all these millions of people with brand new 2017 pickups and SUVs will think a $3000 bicycle frame is Expensive. Funny. For a $300 car look for a well used Toyota compact car. It will last another decade, 100,000 more miles with no problems. Toyotas run forever. It will far outlast your expensive motorcycle. My biggest LBS is a Trek dealer. He sells a lot of expensive Treks and all the accessories. Median price of all the Treks he sells is at least $3500 if not much more. Probably much more with all the new iterations of SRAM and Shimano and mechanical and electronic.

I live in the real world. I see things. I hear things. I read things.

RyanH

by RyanH

Russell, that is riddled with faulty logic. Go look up median household income and tell me that they're affording any of the cars you mentioned.

If you ask an average person what an expensive bike is, most will say something along the lines of $800. So, sorry, whatever real world you're living in, it's definitely not the same as most of America.

RussellS

by RussellS

RyanH wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:23 pm
This conversation is drifting off topic into the twilight zone. Russell, I suggest you lookup what the median household income is in the United States (and also that median means half of the US makes less than that and household means probably more than a single person).
The median income in the USA in 2016 was $59,000. Apparently the census bureau releases the prior year income in September. So no 2017 numbers yet. Almost all of the people I know make more than the median. And I believe a vast majority of recreational bicyclists in the USA are well into the upper half of median income. Kind of like down hill skiing, boating, dune buggys, etc. Recreational activities that require money to engage in. So for 25%, 33% of the US population, a $3000 bicycle frame is insignificant. You gots to pay to play. Now please do not think that I am saying cheap bikes are bad. NO. The $2-300 bikes sold at WalMart are good. You could easily ride them happily for years without any problems at all. It is not necessary to spend $3000 on a bicycle frame. You can spend far less and get a great bike. But $3000 isn't expensive today.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com