Should i replace my Carbon Handlebar after slow speed crash?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Three weeks ago, i had a slow speed crash while crossing the railways, and i got fractured radial bone and made some damage to helmet as well.

The whole impact was on my hand, my hip and a little bit on helmet (i crashed with 19 km/h).

So for me 6 weeks plaster cast and reseting of the bone before that. Now im 3 weeks in plaster, 3 weeks to go :) so wondering those two things:

On bike there is not any evident damage (visualy). I asked a friend to try it on short climb for any creaks or noise, he did not notice anything...

1. Should i replace the handlebar?It's Carbon Easton EC90SLX3

Cant notice any scratch or damage, but still need to unwrap the tape. So if there is no any evidence of damage after detail check am i safe to continue riding this bar?

The only scratch i found is on campy brake lever in front part (not sure how and when this cratch happened since i fall down on left side and directly on my body, bike was over me, so i guess that why no any other damage, scratch....).

Because of position of this one, im not even sure that this happened in this crash, or maybe earlier, or maybe when we put the bike in the car...

2. I hit a road one part with my head and helmet. Using Giro Synthe. Its damaged a little bit, but not cracked (damage on outer shell, and plastic look like unglued from styro part of the helmet in one area. But no more serious crack).

Should i replace it with new one?

Personally i planned to check bar very detailed, and if there is not any evidence of damage, cracks etc, to keep it.

And to replace the helmet anyway.. What are ur opinions?
Last edited by 3Pio on Thu May 31, 2018 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

sungod

by sungod

probably keep bars, do some tests...

you can apply high load without being on the bike, press in/out, up/down, brace wheel and twist bars etc.
as an extra check i would remove the stem and inspect the steerer tube for any sign of damage, but from what you describe there wasn't much force on the bars

definitely replace helmet!
Last edited by sungod on Thu May 31, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Bar probably okay. But would do static tests as described and tap test with coin for crack.

Helmet is for bin.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JScycle

by JScycle

Unwrap bars and check visually and also test with body weight. Would also be beneficial to check the steerer tube.
Unfortunately you need a new helmet. Giro may do a crash replacement.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

I think you are fine on the bars (bar?). I was in a serious crash in 2014 (16 mph me hitting the passenger side door of an idiot car). It completely broke off the front fork -- there was sheered carbon -- and knocked me back a feet in the air, breaking three back bones. I had the bike checked and the components, including the carbon FSA handlebar, were okay. I used the bars on another bike a few years later. Good luck on your recovery!!!!
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Alex222

by Alex222

Giro have a good crash replacement service. I had to take advantage of it a few years ago.

Rick

by Rick

Good advice on inspections above.
I just wanted to chime in that I rode Easton EC90SLX3 bars for a few years and crashed heavily at about 20 mph at least 3 times on them, with no serious demage to the bars (scraped on the outer ends). They are tough bars! I only replaced them when I went to a wider bar. If they pass all the common-sense inspections, I wouldn't worry about them.

kman

by kman

Replace the helmet.

Bars are probably OK. In my experience, if they fail, it will most likely be at the stem clamp area - but this is not always the case. It would be wise to completely remove, clean, inspect (inclding coin tap test etc). If you're happy they're OK, re-install and ride. I'd check them again in a month or so, to make sure there aren't any tiny cracks that have propagated into something bigger.

I gave up on carbon bars for this reason. I did end up cracking a pair after 2 low speed crashes. They were bloody expensive and nice to ride but I couldn't deal with the heartache of breaking them and also being unsure if they were going to fail on me.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

kode54

by kode54

i didn't know that Giro had crash replacement service. that's good to know.

yes, anytime you crash with helmet and shows damage...it did its job. as far as the bike...seems that you made sure you protected the bike from any road impact. sorry to hear about your injuries...and from the sounds of it...you'll recover. sometimes, the slow crashes are bad. and with railroad crossings...especially bad if you hit the metal tracks. glad its only what you described. could've been worse.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Digger90

by Digger90

3Pio wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:51 am

So for me 6 weeks plaster cast and reseting of the bone before that. Now im 3 weeks in plaster, 3 weeks to go :) so wondering those two things:

What are ur opinions?
Unless you want to spend more time in plaster, more bone resetting and more time in hospital I recommend replacing the helmet AND the bars.

Speaking as someone who is still recovering from traumatic brain injury a year after an accident VERY similar to yours (approx 18kmh, little visible damage to bike/bars but flattened/damaged helmet) the real question is not whether you should or shouldn't replace your helmet and bars, but "How much is your health and life worth?" The answer to that is most surely: More than a couple of hundred dollars/euros!

For safety's sake, replace them.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Digger90 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:29 pm
3Pio wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:51 am

What are ur opinions?
Unless you want to spend more time in plaster, more bone resetting and more time in hospital I recommend replacing the helmet AND the bars.

Speaking as someone who is still recovering from traumatic brain injury a year after an accident VERY similar to yours (approx 18kmh, little visible damage to bike/bars but flattened/damaged helmet) the real question is not whether you should or shouldn't replace your helmet and bars, but "How much is your health and life worth?" The answer to that is most surely: More than a couple of hundred dollars/euros!

For safety's sake, replace them.
Following this logic, you should probably replace your entire bike.

moyboy

by moyboy

if you replace your helmet, lots of stores will give you a credit / trade in for a new helmet.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Thanks a lot for everyone's opinion..

Im definetely replacing the helmet (i e-mail Giro abot crash replacement policy since i bought it from Germany), and i'll buy again same Synthe Non Mips.

About bars. I'll unwrap the tape, and do detailed check, and pulling/pushing, simulating forces while off bike also coin test.. If i find ant slight suspect of dagame ill repace it. If not i'll keep it..

For now im recovering fast.. Today i tied my shoe laces alone.. :), so hopr i'll be back on bike soon.. Just in time when my new helmet arrive :)

Greetings and thanks again for u help...

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Digger90 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:29 pm
Having participated in composite handlebar development and knowing what kinds of hidden damage is possible after impact, I agree with Digger and also recommend replacing carbon bars when their integrity is in question.

Anectode: After the 2009 Tour de France stage 3 (the one with some cobbles, which Thor won, thanks to me telling the mechanics to use Vittoria Pit Stop sealant, but that's another story), Alejandro Torralbo, head mechanic, found a few cracked bars (tiny 3mm crack, maybe they were surface cracks?). I asked him how he noticed, and he answered "I was looking for them". Of course, he replaced them.

That same year Daniel Lloyd (now of GCN fame) rode several stages on a cracked top tube (hit by his own handlebar in a crash) before I convinced Alejandro to replace the frame.

Bars, stem and fork are critical control elements and I treat them with serious respect.

Other parts are relatively less risky and I'm personally willing to take a chance sometimes.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com