Ultegra r8050 noise, cage bent?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Add another count to the afflicted. R8050 drivetrain with r9100 crankset (stages power meter) on a Venge Pro.

Been super frustrating to have an expensive bike be noisier than an old mountain bike with dirty miles on it.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

That was a red herring. Noise issue is solved! The 8050 drivetrain on the Venge Pro REALLY didn't like the Rock and Roll Gold lube. Just cleaning it out completed quietened things dramatically. Then switching to Dumond Tech kept things quiet. So relieved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sock3t

by Sock3t

anykarthik wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:47 pm
That was a red herring. Noise issue is solved! The 8050 drivetrain on the Venge Pro REALLY didn't like the Rock and Roll Gold lube. Just cleaning it out completed quietened things dramatically. Then switching to Dumond Tech kept things quiet. So relieved.
I tried Muc off C3 - same for me. Stuff was SUPER noisey.

I went back to finish line for now

Attermann

by Attermann

anykarthik wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:47 pm
Not a problem I have, but I use a 11.93 KMC chain instead of a Shimano

Saussiecycling

by Saussiecycling

I run 8070 with absolute black oval rings and muc off dry. The drivetrain will get very loud if the chain isn’t oiled properly. Once it’s lubed it’s fine. This wasn’t a problem with the 6800 even when I was running it without lube for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wajs

by Wajs

You tried muc off wet or dry lube? I have found muc off c3 dry lube this summer to be very loud.

Poslano sa mog MI 6 koristeći Tapatalk

fluoroller

by fluoroller

Could this noise issue be due to the fact that the chainset is a little more outboard than the previous gen? I wonder if anyone has tried using a 6800/9000 chainset and see if that reduces the noise.

Saussiecycling

by Saussiecycling

I’m running a 6800 chainset at the moment to test out a 52/34 setup. Before I take it off I’ll do a test to measure the noise difference. Will keep you guys posted.

Schulzy

by Schulzy

Well it seems I've stumbled upon the same issue. I have a brand new TCR SL Disc with 8070 di2 and it is the noisiest drivetrain I've ever heard, only in the big ring from about mid cassette and outward.

I have tried different lubes to no avail. Not only is it noisy it also shifts rather slow and sloppy compared to my mates di2 setups, I've also played with the trim to no effect. Makes me rather remorseful about the money spent on the bike, that's for sure.

bikeguy0

by bikeguy0

Saussiecycling wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:23 am
I’m running a 6800 chainset at the moment to test out a 52/34 setup. Before I take it off I’ll do a test to measure the noise difference. Will keep you guys posted.

Any update on this?

Vdub90

by Vdub90

I'm running 8050 with a 9100 crankset since last February. This is one noisy drivetrain. Even when cleaned and lubed it's noisy. I have the bike on the trainer with no noise and I've spent a good hour trying to adjust the noise out. As others have mentioned it is near silent in the small ring. Large chainring the smallest 4 cogs in the back are super loud. Out on the road it's not nearly as noticeable. My wife's bike with 5800 is near silent everywhere. I love the di2 but seriously Shimano the noise is totally unacceptable.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Any chance you can shoot a video and post it on YouTube? And are you certain that your RD hanger is not bent by the slightest amount? I'm also running the 8050 RD and Dura Ace chainrings here, and no noise. I have a hanger alignment tool and my hanger is perfectly aligned to the rear wheel.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Vdub90 wrote:I'm running 8050 with a 9100 crankset since last February. This is one noisy drivetrain. Even when cleaned and lubed it's noisy. I have the bike on the trainer with no noise and I've spent a good hour trying to adjust the noise out. As others have mentioned it is near silent in the small ring. Large chainring the smallest 4 cogs in the back are super loud. Out on the road it's not nearly as noticeable. My wife's bike with 5800 is near silent everywhere. I love the di2 but seriously Shimano the noise is totally unacceptable.
I had exactly the same issues with DA 9000 being noisy from a Canyon Ultimate SLX that I built up myself. Very loud in the big ring and uploaded a simple video on YouTube https://youtu.be/gz9T2ZfXrXk to illustrate the point.

I tried everything including a whole host of tips from calnago who regular posts excellent mechanical articles on this forum.

The only thing that worked for me was using the wax based Smoove which definitely reduced the sound and I’ve now accepted that.

For comparison I have two other bikes that are silent and both running Shimano 11 speed 5800 and 6800 that I built myself.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

You can also check out the article that I posted on this forum Canyon Ultimate SLX 2016 DA Mechanical Drivetrain Noisy
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sjgn

by sjgn

Count Venge Pro 2019 with DI2 Ultegra in. Driving me mad, the drivetrain is extremely noisy. Everything brand new, not bent or anything. Sound of the drivetrain is louder than the freehub clicking...