Ultegra r8050 noise, cage bent?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Finx

by Finx

I just bought a new Canyon Endurace with R8000 groupset and it was noisy as hell. I took it into a local shop and we checked everything. Indexing, hangar, we even put a laser line on the chain from the back and everything was fine. The noise seems to be worse on the big ring and the lower gears, which eliminates a chain line issue (there is no noise at all on the small ring or the upper half of the cassette).

I put a RD-R9100 on it and it seems to be much quieter now, although still noisier than any 6800 or 9000 bike I had). I'm not sure if it's something with the 8000 series, or if I just had a tweaked RD out of the box. I do know it was maddeningly loud. I couldn't stand to ride the bike it was so bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeguy0

by bikeguy0

Finx wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 am
I just bought a new Canyon Endurace with R8000 groupset and it was noisy as hell. I took it into a local shop and we checked everything. Indexing, hangar, we even put a laser line on the chain from the back and everything was fine. The noise seems to be worse on the big ring and the lower gears, which eliminates a chain line issue (there is no noise at all on the small ring or the upper half of the cassette).

I put a RD-R9100 on it and it seems to be much quieter now, although still noisier than any 6800 or 9000 bike I had). I'm not sure if it's something with the 8000 series, or if I just had a tweaked RD out of the box. I do know it was maddeningly loud. I couldn't stand to ride the bike it was so bad.
That is really interesting. I haven't been able to ride my bike yet after changing the upper guide pulley to a KCNC due to a failed Specialized Roubaix tire I'm waiting on, but it sounds like it won't make a difference anyway. This is such a bummer, I don't think upgrading to a Di2 DuraAce RD is in the cards as I just don't want to spend that money.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue where the noise is much louder in the big ring. Small ring is fine throughout the whole cassette which you would think means it would be a chainline issue but the noise is bad through the entire cassette range in the big ring, not just the top or the bottom. Ugh...

Roel W

by Roel W

bikeguy0 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:41 pm
Finx wrote:

That is really interesting. I haven't been able to ride my bike yet after changing the upper guide pulley to a KCNC due to a failed Specialized Roubaix tire I'm waiting on, but it sounds like it won't make a difference anyway. This is such a bummer, I don't think upgrading to a Di2 DuraAce RD is in the cards as I just don't want to spend that money.

I'm experiencing the exact same issue where the noise is much louder in the big ring. Small ring is fine throughout the whole cassette which you would think means it would be a chainline issue but the noise is bad through the entire cassette range in the big ring, not just the top or the bottom. Ugh...
Same here. Canyon Ultimate CF SL with Ultegra R8000 mechanical. very noisy on the big ring, runs smooth on the inner ring. Made me also crazy. Did the same checks as the topic starter and I also thought my cage was bent. My cage looks exactly as posted on the first page of this topic and to me it looks bended too.
Did some research on the web as well. For those who understand Dutch: a 5 page discussion about other persons experiencing the same issue: https://www.fiets.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87297
Solutions proposed are changing the pulleys or making the chain slightly shorter.
I'm disapointed because this is my first Shimano bike and the other bikes running Campagnolo are so quiet.

Boshk

by Boshk

Roel W wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:44 pm
bikeguy0 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:41 pm
Finx wrote:

Same here. Canyon Ultimate CF SL with Ultegra R8000 mechanical. very noisy on the big ring, runs smooth on the inner ring. Made me also crazy. Did the same checks as the topic starter and I also thought my cage was bent. My cage looks exactly as posted on the first page of this topic and to me it looks bended too.
Did some research on the web as well. For those who understand Dutch: a 5 page discussion about other persons experiencing the same issue: https://www.fiets.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87297
Solutions proposed are changing the pulleys or making the chain slightly shorter.
I'm disapointed because this is my first Shimano bike and the other bikes running Campagnolo are so quiet.
At least its not just me, I was thinking my installation skills suck.
I'll try and upload a video of it when i get the chance but my issue is the same.
50/34 & 11-32
Inner ring....most of the cassette=silent, except for the obvious cross-chaining rubbing noise 34+11
I know its silent because I'm usually climbing some hill at 9-12kph and I can hear every bit of noise from the drivetrain.

Outer Big Ring and pretty much any of the cogs=noisy, its not rubbing of FD, its just really noisy , pretty sure its from rear derailleur but then again its silent when its on Small chainring.
Last edited by Boshk on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attermann

by Attermann

Isn’t the outer ring hollow? That could be transmitting sounds from it.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Same here. Noisy on the big ring and OK on the small ring. R8000 crankset; RD RX805
Borrowed crank from gravelbike and 1x NW chainring from toolbox and all good now. When the new road season starts again, will change back to 2x.

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Attermann

by Attermann

The outer chainring is hollow, that could transmit some sounds thru out the bike, the inner ring is solid, so that doesn’t make the same buzz sound

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Yes, but older Ultegra 6800 did not have this issue.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Attermann wrote:The outer chainring is hollow, that could transmit some sounds thru out the bike, the inner ring is solid, so that doesn’t make the same buzz sound
Based on rainerhq's experiment, it would seem like the culprit is the front chainring. I wonder if anyone with an older groupset (eg, 6800) who upgraded only the rear mech to rd8000 is having the noise in question. Does the 6800 also have a hollow big chainring?
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

Attermann

by Attermann

Yes it does, I don’t have any 6800 chain set at home, so I can’t make a direct comparison

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

That's a good theory. In Jan. of this year I got a new bike and I went from Sram Red 22 chainrings to Shimano Dura Ace chainrings. It's a different bike so I didn't think anything of it but now I do notice more noise on the big ring. On my tandem I have a solid chainrings and it's whisper quiet. But there are also folks out there claiming that 9100 is noisier than 9000. That's weird.

dande

by dande

The same issue with brand new Giant tcr r8000. Big ring noise is really annoying. I would be glad to hear any proved solution. I have had issue with chain barrel adjuster too which is plastic and simply doesn't engage and had to replace with a decent barrel from my old bike. Shimano claims no issues at all about it...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Finx

by Finx

I don't know if it's much help, but my bike if tuning much quieter after several hundred miles.

I haven't really changed anything, so it's s bit if a mystery. Maybe just needed a good break in?

Sock3t

by Sock3t

I thought my 9000 was noisey until a I rode with a mate on 9100. Wow.

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

try using a 12 speed chain should help.
- ridley fenix sl 105 - not lightweight
- sworks tarmac sl 5 r8050 di2 - vision tc 24 wheels = 7,1kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com