Help me decide - Giant TCR Advanced 2 vs. Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

devonbiker

by devonbiker

This is my first post on here, so please go easy on me!

I would like some honest opinion on which of these two Giant TCRs to buy. Both are TCRs, but very different specs component wise, with the exception of the frame, which I believe is the same on both. I've picked these two, a) because I like the bright orange paint jobs on both, and b) want a comparison between an entry level TCR and an all singing, all dancing model, to find out if the more expensive one is worth it. The quoted weighs are mediums without pedals, I believe.

As a bit of background, I cycle in an area with a lot of hills, and want a great climbing bike as well as one which looks really cool. I don't race but like to ride fast and do occasional sportives which involve a lot of ascent and descent.

TCR Advanced 2 - £1300 - (7.9kg) - but I will swap the PR2 wheelset for Mavic Ksyrium Pro USTs (£650) to save 0.4kg.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-2-2018

TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc - £3600 - (7.7kg) (and would keep the stock SLR wheelset)

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-a ... -disc-2018

So let's say I upgrade the wheelet on the cheaper Advanced 2. The bike would then have cost £1950 and would weigh in at 7.5kg with the reduction in wheel weight.

I have used disc brake bikes before and to be honest, whilst I appreciated the extra braking power, I am not sure if they are worth the weight and cost penalty - I always felt conscious that the added weight of the heavier wheels were slowing me down on the really steep long climbs, and I never ride in the rain if I can help it. Rim brakes seem to do the job fine 90% of the time.

I know for a fact that the SLR disc front wheel (with rotor and tyre) weighs 1255g compared to 850g for the non-disc Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST (with tyre), as I used to own the Defy Advanced Pro 1 Disc. Surely you will feel this on a hill climb?

So is the TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc worth another £1650 just for the Ultegra Di2, disc brakes, carbon steerer, upgraded stem/handlebar, and fancy gloss paint job? Because on paper at least, it is going to be slower (for climbing at least) than the significantly cheaper bike with upgraded wheels?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

An otherwise equivalent disc brake bike is unquestionably going to be heavier. You've ridden discs. You know what they're like. You know what conditions you ride in. Trust your gut. You want it to look good... do you like the look of discs on an otherwise light road bike where you'll do lots of climbing? Do you like the look of discs on a road bike period? If you do, then the disc bike might be for you. If you don't, then to me it's a no brainer. Your thought process is sound. Go with your gut, whichever way that is.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devonbiker

by devonbiker

I'm not too fussed about the look of rotors on disc brake bikes. Performance wise, sure, I loved the late braking power you get with them on steep descents, but we all know that feeling when you are slogging your guts out on a long hill climb and you can't help but calculate in your head how much extra effort it takes to spin those heavier wheels up a mountain.

I feel like the whole bike industry is pushing us to not think twice about buying a new bike with discs, but thinking about it you spend far more time climbing than descending, and if you save a few minues on a hill climb with the same effort then you are saving energy for later in the ride.

I'd be more interested to hear opinions on the gloss paint job vs matt paint job as the frames on the bikes are identical so I could potentially upgrade components over time. The simple matt red/orange looks really cool but the glossy red/orange/chrome also looks cool but is a lot more 'flashy' looking. Not sure which will show up scratches the least?

stockae92

by stockae92

I would want disc on road bike because for the hills that i ride often, they are public road and have traffic lights. I just hate that feeling when I had to slow down in a hurry when you see the light turning red and its coming up fast.

Not that regular brakes won't do it. But having better brakes doesn't hurt. And I figured out 400g more won't stop me from getting to the top, I may get there a little slower but ended up to be a better work out. :)

If I am racing and when somebody else is paying for my equipment, then it may be a different situation. haha.

northwestern

by northwestern

If it rains a lot where you live, get the disc.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

It does, but I don’t commute or anything like that. I’m more of a Sunday club run or midweek chaingang cyclist, unless I’m caught out in a rain shower.

I mean, 0.5kg on the frame isn’t significant, but most of that extra weight is in the rotating part of the wheels. Unless you’re spending over £5000 on a pro level bike and everything is lightweight, including the wheels, in which case your bike will be so light anyway that the difference would be barely noticable.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

devonbiker wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:42 pm
This is my first post on here, so please go easy on me!

I would like some honest opinion on which of these two Giant TCRs to buy. Both are TCRs, but very different specs component wise, with the exception of the frame, which I believe is the same on both. I've picked these two, a) because I like the bright orange paint jobs on both, and b) want a comparison between an entry level TCR and an all singing, all dancing model, to find out if the more expensive one is worth it. The quoted weighs are mediums without pedals, I believe.

As a bit of background, I cycle in an area with a lot of hills, and want a great climbing bike as well as one which looks really cool. I don't race but like to ride fast and do occasional sportives which involve a lot of ascent and descent.

TCR Advanced 2 - £1300 - (7.9kg) - but I will swap the PR2 wheelset for Mavic Ksyrium Pro USTs (£650) to save 0.4kg.

TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc - £3600 - (7.7kg) (and would keep the stock SLR wheelset)

So let's say I upgrade the wheelet on the cheaper Advanced 2. The bike would then have cost £1950 and would weigh in at 7.5kg with the reduction in wheel weight.

I have used disc brake bikes before and to be honest, whilst I appreciated the extra braking power, I am not sure if they are worth the weight and cost penalty - I always felt conscious that the added weight of the heavier wheels were slowing me down on the really steep long climbs, and I never ride in the rain if I can help it. Rim brakes seem to do the job fine 90% of the time.

I know for a fact that the SLR disc front wheel (with rotor and tyre) weighs 1255g compared to 850g for the non-disc Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST (with tyre), as I used to own the Defy Advanced Pro 1 Disc. Surely you will feel this on a hill climb?

So is the TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc worth another £1650 just for the Ultegra Di2, disc brakes, carbon steerer, upgraded stem/handlebar, and fancy gloss paint job? Because on paper at least, it is going to be slower (for climbing at least) than the significantly cheaper bike with upgraded wheels?
My comparison isn't quite apple to apples but I replaced a Propel Advacned 2 with that exact TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc just over a month ago and at first I was skeptical that I'd notice big differences between the two but I was completely wrong. I was floored when I first rode the TCR and haven't regretted it for a second since. It was smooth and stiff but didn't feel like it beat me up. It climbs fantastically (though I'm not much of a climber) and descends even better - my friends even commented on how well it held a line compared to the Propel as they tried to chase me down descents but I think the brakes were the biggest reason I could open gaps on hills so easily. The modulation and stopping power are excellent and even with the slight weight penelty I'd be hard pressed to go back to rim brakes now. Though I haven't researched every part individually I'm sure the carbon steerer and upgraded bars and stem would come close if not completely offset the extra wieght of the discs. My logic is that if I'm starting and finishing a ride in the same spot, every meter I climb is a meter I descend so while the marginal weight may, in theory, make you slower on the climbs the improved braking should make you faster on technical descents. The wheels were a huge upgrades over my old PA-2's and it goes without saying Ultegra Di2 vs 105 is night and day.
devonbiker wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:25 pm
I'd be more interested to hear opinions on the gloss paint job vs matt paint job as the frames on the bikes are identical so I could potentially upgrade components over time. The simple matt red/orange looks really cool but the glossy red/orange/chrome also looks cool but is a lot more 'flashy' looking. Not sure which will show up scratches the least?
I deleted the first two paragraphs on that because I just covered the disc thing so onto the paint...

If you haven't seen either in person, go now! No pictures I have seen online do Giant's neon red justice. The colour in person pops so much more. I'm not much of a chrome guy but it definitely looks amazing on this bike though the chrome is a brushed chrome rather than a mirrored chrome so it's not really as blingy as I expected. I definitely liked the matte, more stealth, colourway of my Propel but when sat side by side the TCR is just the prettier looking bike. Although I'm sure the glossy finish will probably show more scratches over time I think the gloss would be easier to buff out similar to a car.

I did test ride both bikes (though the Advanced 2 was more for fit on a TCR before driving 6 hours each way for the AP0) and with all of the above said, my vote would be for the Advanced Pro 0. You can buy it and ride it knowing you won't be needing to make many, if any, upgrades. The bike is stunning and when I saw it in person I knew I wasn't leaving the shop without it. Definitely worth the drive to get that over the Advanced 2 which I could get locally.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

devonbiker

by devonbiker

Useful to know. How does the Di2 perform on the TCR? Can it cope with gear changes on really steep hills? Does it ever fail on you? I might have a look at one tomorrow evening.

northwestern

by northwestern

If £1300 (or £3600) is not pocket change for you, then go with a used bike. I built my 2016 TCR Advanced SL 0 for $2500 with powermeter. All from Craigslist and Ebay.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

devonbiker wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:54 pm
Useful to know. How does the Di2 perform on the TCR? Can it cope with gear changes on really steep hills? Does it ever fail on you? I might have a look at one tomorrow evening.
I've only got about 1000km on it so far but I haven't had issues with the Di2. You might get the odd ugly/noisey shift if you're standing and shifting under load but you're gonna get that on mechanical too. Seems like you're looking for a climber first - not sure where you're located but the TCR Advanced SL-2 KOM may be worth looking into if you're looking for light and discs and Di2 aren't mandatory. It would split the difference price wise too. Though, it doesn't have the neon red.

TCR Advanced SL-2 KOM
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

When you ride the TCR you will be blown away by its climbing ability and stiffness, and I don't think you will worry to much about the disk brakes.

silvalis

by silvalis

Since it's basically a weekend bike and you don't commute, not that much point with the disc bike. Since the price clearly isn't an issue get the rimbrake and apply some upgrades.

If it was a single do-everything kind of bike I'd go the disc.
Chasse patate

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

no discs

zirxo

by zirxo

Don't forget that the non-pro TCR comes with an alu steerer instead of carbon on the pro version.

devonbiker

by devonbiker

I've decided to go with the matt orange TCR 2 "Bike of the year" with the Mavic wheelset. It's still way cheaper than the Pro 0 Disc and weight wise it's about the same. It should climb better too. Overall it's great value.

I've never owned a TCR so it's less of a risk going with the cheaper bike. If I don't get on with it I can sell it, or if I love it but feel like my life in incomplete without disc brakes and Ultegra Di2 then I can sell it and buy the TCR Pro 0 Disc in the sale when the 2019 models start appearing around August/September time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com