S-Works Venge 2019

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

tommsup

by tommsup

johnrho wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:55 pm
Has anyone put sprint shifters on their 9170 build? Curious on the wire setup you’ve used. In the Aerofly II bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought parts with the intention to mount it, but I ended up selling the parts. My plan was to thread the EW-JC130 y-split with a EW-JC 200 inside the handlebar, with a 1100mm (?) EW-50 cable going from the EW-JC200 inside the handlebar and to the SM-JC41 port in front of the cranks. If you need blutooth you can change the EW-JC200 with EW-WU111 connector.

As i said I ended up selling the parts. I like the simplisity of the original setup and i did'nt want to risk ratteling in the handlebar. I also did'nt want to thread everything and bleed the brakes one more time. I can not confirm that this setup actually works. I believe it can be difficult to thread the connectors through the bend in the handlebar. I dont think it will work with the brake cables mounted.

In the original setup there is a free port in the right shifter. The easiest solution might be to add just one of the SW-R9150 shifters to the right shifter for gearing down. Not perfect, but it might help in a sprint.

johnrho

by johnrho

tommsup wrote: I bought parts with the intention to mount it, but I ended up selling the parts. My plan was to thread the EW-JC130 y-split with a EW-JC 200 inside the handlebar, with a 1100mm (?) EW-50 cable going from the EW-JC200 inside the handlebar and to the SM-JC41 port in front of the cranks. If you need blutooth you can change the EW-JC200 with EW-WU111 connector.

As i said I ended up selling the parts. I like the simplisity of the original setup and i did'nt want to risk ratteling in the handlebar. I also did'nt want to thread everything and bleed the brakes one more time. I can not confirm that this setup actually works. I believe it can be difficult to thread the connectors through the bend in the handlebar. I dont think it will work with the brake cables mounted.

In the original setup there is a free port in the right shifter. The easiest solution might be to add just one of the SW-R9150 shifters to the right shifter for gearing down. Not perfect, but it might help in a sprint.
Thanks - that’s what I’m planning to do. I threaded a EW-JC200 y-split (350/450/50) in the Aerofly II with a JC-200 on the 50mm from the stem opening. The EW-WU111 doesn’t fit in the opening by the stem and will be almost impossible to connect the EW-50 (1200mm) from the down tube if I do fish it from the bar end. Also gives me enough room to wrap the EW-JC200 with some foam and tape so it doesn’t rattle.

I may try and hack the SW-R610 and solder on a EW-50 plug end as I like the footprint of those switches than the bulkiness of the SW-R9150 switches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

deepalk

by deepalk

Hey guys
Anyone know the difference if any between Roval CL 64 and CLX 64 rim only (no spokes or hubs). I believe there was no difference in the rim the only difference was on built wheels and the difference was the spokes and hubs (ceramic bearings). Just looking for confirmation.

Weaklegs

by Weaklegs

mistercee wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:40 pm
Have some aerocoach chainrings coming and then I think I'm out of ideas for saving any more weight in a way I'm comfortable with.

Switched away from tubeless (never again!) to tubolito tubes with Attack/Force Continental rubber.

Aerocoach will save another 40g or so in chainrings.

15.5 ain't bad. Eat your heart out, tarmac.
Is it ready to ride weight?

Mine weights 7,22 kg ready to ride.
Size 56, full DA, oval chainrings AB on sworks power crank, clx 64 (tubolito), DA pedals, tune bottlecages, garmin mount, selle italia saddle 120g, 44cm handlebar with heavy supercaz bartape, rotors rt-mt900.

Planning to get it under 7kg ready to ride. 6,99kg on quite heavy clx64 will make me happy😅
Changes planned:
-Xpedo ti pedals or sl 170g vs DA pedals 240g
-40cm handlebar (vs 44cm will save me adleast 20g)
-lighter bartape lizardskins 1.8 or 2.5 50g vs 100g supacaz
-cut steering tube 2cm without sparers 15-20g stavings?
-superlight saddle tune or berk at around 70g
-maybe I will need to cut seatpost to get it under 7kg.

Of course if I will decide to change clx64 1615g to the new rapide 60/50 1400g then I will be around 6,8kg ready to ride🔥
Considering this possible weights and aero benefits of my Venge plus the look of it I totally don't understand people's who buy SL7 over beautiful Venge🤷🏻‍♂️

paulpongco

by paulpongco

I have a chance to buy Venge pro DI2 with purple color. There is one remaining unit at the LBS. I have read close to hundreds of pages on this topic and have realized that the Venge has the exact same stack and reach on size 56 with the SL7. The venge has the better aero package though the SL7 will be lighter. The other plus is the fact that the pro venge shares the same carbon material with the sworks version.

Im am partial to the venge since im going to get the bike now vs the SL7 which will probably take 4 months to be available. Btw, I can only afford the SL7 pro so it be a Venge pro vs SL7 pro comparison on Ultegra DI2 build.

It's still a ton of money to spend and i am worried about future proofing the decision. Care to share your thoughts? I'd like to hear those who recently went with the Venge.

Thanks.

aintlifegrand

by aintlifegrand

go with the bike that you like the most. IMO venge is the best looking aero bike, handles great and is comfortable on longer rides, on top of that you get wheels that are tubeless compatible. I bought mine on sale in the spring before whole corona crazines, if I were to buy again probably would go with canyon or rose, retail price for specialized bikes just seems too much to me.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

deepalk wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:41 am
Hey guys
Anyone know the difference if any between Roval CL 64 and CLX 64 rim only (no spokes or hubs). I believe there was no difference in the rim the only difference was on built wheels and the difference was the spokes and hubs (ceramic bearings). Just looking for confirmation.
I think it this...
- DT aerolite vs comp spokes
- Ceramic vs steel bearings
- DT Swiss 240 vs 350 internals
The rim itself is the same...

Niekgeerts

by Niekgeerts

My new S-works Venge

S-works Venge frame (Color RED AXS 2020)
Full DA Di2 9170 group incl. FC-R9100P
CeramicSpeed BB30-24mm adapter
FFWD RYOT55 wheels (240exp)

Weight 7,51kg

mistercee

by mistercee

Weaklegs wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:45 am
mistercee wrote:
Have some aerocoach chainrings coming and then I think I'm out of ideas for saving any more weight in a way I'm comfortable with.

Switched away from tubeless (never again!) to tubolito tubes with Attack/Force Continental rubber.

Size 56, full DA, oval chainrings AB on sworks power crank, clx 64 (tubolito), DA pedals, tune bottlecages, garmin mount, selle italia saddle 120g, 44cm handlebar with heavy supercaz bartape, rotors rt-mt900.

Planning to get it under 7kg ready to ride. 6,99kg on quite heavy clx64 will make me happy😅
Changes planned:

Of course if I will decide to change clx64 1615g to the new rapide 60/50 1400g then I will be around 6,8kg ready to ride🔥
Considering this possible weights and aero benefits of my Venge plus the look of it I totally don't understand people's who buy SL7 over beautiful Venge🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes. Ready to ride except for bottles, saddle bag and computer.

56 Venge Pro
Ultegra Di2 FD, RD, Shifters, Brakes
(I can save some obvious weight here but not until next gen DA comes out)
Aerofly Bar 42cm
Aerofly Stem 140mm (is tank. Could swap but love the look. 100g of dead weight but is what it is)
S Works bar tape (original. Once it wears out I'll probably go lizard skins 1.8)
MCFK rims (55 rear, 45 front)
Dt Swiss 180 hubs
Berd Spokes
(Wheel set weight 1250g)
S Works Power Crank 172.5
Rotor NoQ chainrings 53x36 (soon aero coach 54x40)
Dura Ace Pedals (speedplay in winter so no show cover rub)
Sp31 chain or whatever that light chain is. Can't remember off the top
Da cassette 11/28 (tried rotor cassette so hard but shifting is TERRIBLE. Fix this, rotor)
S Works Power Saddle
Oh yeah and XTR rotors
Arundel mandible bottle cages (tried to use the carbonworks 11g cages but they don't fit the Venge st holes)
I have Michelin power tt tires for racing eventually but its force/attack for now with tubolito tubes.

Not sure if I'm forgetting anything.

But yeah. Ready to ride.

mistercee

by mistercee

Also. Yeah. If Venge is same weight as tarmac, Venge is faster.

Venge for life.

mistercee

by mistercee

Ya know, reading your build list, I'm starting to think my scale weighs heavy. My wheels are almost 400g lighter than yours. Based on the rest of your build, seems like my bike should be lighter than yours.

Weird

sigma

by sigma

mistercee wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:37 pm
Weaklegs wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:45 am
mistercee wrote:

Changes planned:

Yes. Ready to ride except for bottles, saddle bag and computer.

56 Venge Pro
Ultegra Di2 FD, RD, Shifters, Brakes
(I can save some obvious weight here but not until next gen DA comes out)
Aerofly Bar 42cm
Aerofly Stem 140mm (is tank. Could swap but love the look. 100g of dead weight but is what it is)
S Works bar tape (original. Once it wears out I'll probably go lizard skins 1.8)
MCFK rims (55 rear, 45 front)
Dt Swiss 180 hubs
Berd Spokes
(Wheel set weight 1250g)
S Works Power Crank 172.5
Rotor NoQ chainrings 53x36 (soon aero coach 54x40)
Dura Ace Pedals (speedplay in winter so no show cover rub)
Sp31 chain or whatever that light chain is. Can't remember off the top
Da cassette 11/28 (tried rotor cassette so hard but shifting is TERRIBLE. Fix this, rotor)
S Works Power Saddle
Oh yeah and XTR rotors
Arundel mandible bottle cages (tried to use the carbonworks 11g cages but they don't fit the Venge st holes)
I have Michelin power tt tires for racing eventually but its force/attack for now with tubolito tubes.

Not sure if I'm forgetting anything.

But yeah. Ready to ride.
How do you like the Berd spokes with the MCFK rims? I have a pair of MCFK 35s with sapim CX ray and extralite hubs for a climbing wheelset and they have been terrific, but I have wondered about the deeper offerings in high cross winds....the berd spokes are intriguing!
S-works Tarmac SL6
S-Works Venge
Factor VAM 02 disc
Trek Domane 2016 SLR
Open U.P. gravel 2016
Factor One rim v2
Factor LS in progress
Cannondale Black Inc Scalpel 2017

L3X

by L3X

I run 55mm MCFKs front and rear, so far I didnt have any issues in high crosswinds - I'd recommend them :)

mistercee

by mistercee

I've broken one spoke which they sent me a replacement for and it was nonissue to rebuild at my lbs. other than that super solid and true. Would do again.

I will say that I did a trip out to Tucson and descending in strong crosswinds does induce some speed wobble. Nothing I couldn't handle but something to be aware of. And we are talking some very strong crosswinds.

I've had the same issue with every deep wheel set. I don't think you can put it on mcfk. But they are certainly no better.

They are my daily drivers though and have been great.

by Weenie

blind76

by blind76

Hi

I have SW Tarmac SL5 56cm rim brake with CLX 50 but I think it's a bit big for me (179cm but with 82 inseam and only 72cm saddle height). I have an opportunity to buy SW Venge 2020 54cm.

The thing is that I'm fine with the current bike and I would go for a new one only if I will gain more than marginal improvements. I know is a bit different bike, and disc brakes and smaller frame but also heavier.
So would I feel the difference with Venge?

If someone moved from Tarmac SL5 to Venge I would appreciate any feedback.