S-Works Venge 2019

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

adammax

by adammax

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:18 pm
ohjinguh9 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:19 pm

thats surprisingly clean. looks good, but whats the weight diff?

nvm, its a 122g savings :shock:
Not cheap tho! I just can't bring myself to spend £450 on a friggin' stem.
The weight saving equates to S works vs Specialized. In that perspective, it’s a cheaper upgrade.

fcz

by fcz

Darceking wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:53 am
fcz wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:55 pm
Hi everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has serviced their ceramic bearings in their roval clx wheels themselves? Was gona give it a go this weekend and just wondering what peoples experiences are.

Thanks
100% get them serviced! Mine died and replaced with steel bearings :(. Thats what I get for riding in the rain
yeah i def will. thank you.

by Weenie

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Am resurrecting the bottom bracket topic from a few pages back. I have the Sworks cranks with stock ceramicspeed bearings installed at the moment. Everything is largely ok, but had annoying tickin noise lately. Turns out, it was the pre-load ring on the non-drive side - after adjustment, the noise disappeared, though probably temporarily. I also noticed when I was trying to fix this issue that the cranks don't spin quite as smoothly anymore. So probably time to think about what to do with this BB next.

As folks might or might not know, the Venge uses an OSBB converted to BB30 via allow cups epoxied into the carbon shell. BBInfinite has a video about removing said cups to convert to native carbon press-fit OSBB with a use of a ... hacksaw. :shock: :unbelievable: Once you get past the initial reaction though, it's does not seem that bad of a process.

I bring this up to ask the question: is there a consensus here, among those that service these bikes regularly, as to the best overall long term bottom bracket solution for the Venge with a 30mm spindle? I am generally not a big believer in the wonders of ceramic stuff for bike bearings in a low-rpm application like bottom bracket, so open to all ideas. Options that I am looking at include:

1. Buying a pair of new BB30 bearings from Hambini, Enduro or Ceramicspeed (wide range of price options here!) + using loctite to install them.

2. (a) BBInfinite or (b) C-bear BB30 bottom brackets. These will install into the frame as it is (as far as I understand), but the use of aluminum housings through the length of the whole shell will no doubt add a fair bit of weight, so I am a bit less keen on this.

3. Taking out the epoxied alloy cups inserts to convert to OSBB press-fit and similarly installing (a) C-bear's two piece bottom bracket or (b) BBinfinite's one-piece solution.

Any views on the above? Other suggestions?

Maddie

by Maddie

Maybe you added a bit too much preload to your crank bearings. Try reducing it and see if the cranks spin smoothly.

I've seen the hacksaw video, it was not a easy watch. Nevertheless, I'm a fan of one piece bottom brackets. I have two of them from Hambini (before he increased prices).

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Maddie wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:35 pm
Maybe you added a bit too much preload to your crank bearings. Try reducing it and see if the cranks spin smoothly.

I've seen the hacksaw video, it was not a easy watch. Nevertheless, I'm a fan of one piece bottom brackets. I have two of them from Hambini (before he increased prices).
Thanks! I loosend the preload ring completely, and then spun the cranks. Doesn't feel like the bearings are "fresh" anymore.

Visqu

by Visqu

I suggest you go to your preferred hardware store and order some quality 6806 bearings with full contact seals (or non-contacting if you want to show off some spindown stuff to your friends and decrease service life), be it SKF, NTN or whatever. This stuff is readily available and doesn't cost much. If I were replacing my BB right now, I'd probably get the new SKF MTRX just out of interest.
If you wish to use some retaining compound, use a soft bearing retaining compound, not threadlocker.

And one thing, get rid of the Specialized preload thingamajig and replace it with something decent, like the very nice Cane Creek preloader.
Additionally you require a BB30 bearing shield on the NDS.
The three grub screw contraption that Spesh came up with, is a sure way to end up preloading your bearings too much, too little and/or irregularly.

Edit. Oh, btw, the Venge BB is already a one piece affair.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Visqu wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:39 pm
I suggest you go to your preferred hardware store and order some quality 6806 bearings with full contact seals (or non-contacting if you want to show off some spindown stuff to your friends and decrease service life), be it SKF, NTN or whatever. This stuff is readily available and doesn't cost much. If I were replacing my BB right now, I'd probably get the new SKF MTRX just out of interest.
If you wish to use some retaining compound, use a soft bearing retaining compound, not threadlocker.

And one thing, get rid of the Specialized preload thingamajig and replace it with something decent, like the very nice Cane Creek preloader.
The three grub screw contraption that Spesh came up with, is a sure way to end up preloading your bearings too much, too little and/or irregularly.

Thank you - a super helpful reply. Very much appreciated!

The spesh pre-loader indeed looked like a POS even to my untrained eye. Is this the Cane Creek piece you are talking about? https://canecreek.com/product/crank-preloader/

Visqu

by Visqu

No problem!
That's the one, I see they now have colorful options too :)

Bigmac

by Bigmac

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:10 pm
Visqu wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:39 pm

Thank you - a super helpful reply. Very much appreciated!

The Visqu option is very sound and the one I use. When you tightened the Spesh preload you may inadvertantly have goorten the bearings out of line or even damaged them which is why, when you've reduced the preload, they don't spin freely. If you don't want to replace the bearings at this stage, i'd remove them and refit with a retaining compound albeit I have toadmit using Loctite. You might now find the bearings run free, if not, i'm afraid they probably need replacing. Whilst the comments about the Spesh preload are correct, I have one bike stil using one nd another bike with the Cane Creek, for me they have both been fine, but it is a lot easier to overtighten the Spesh one so if you have the option, go for the Cane Crek

The spesh pre-loader indeed looked like a POS even to my untrained eye. Is this the Cane Creek piece you are talking about? https://canecreek.com/product/crank-preloader/

angusclark

by angusclark

I've just pulled the trigger on a burgundy venge with the new 454 NSW. Weight savings aren't a priority with this build. Based on my reading almost everyone keeps the stock stem / handlebars. I'll be building it with Red AXS. Anything else I should do? What about bottom brackets, C-Bear, Kogel?

angusclark

by angusclark

I've just pulled the trigger on a burgundy venge with the new 454 NSW. Weight savings aren't a priority with this build. Based on my reading almost everyone keeps the stock stem / handlebars. I'll be building it with Red AXS. Anything else I should do? What about bottom brackets, C-Bear, Kogel?

mrfish

by mrfish

Great thought on the cane creek preloader.

The supplied preload ring is indeed a POS as it's impossible to tighten evenly, not to mention it will be impossible to undo after a free liters of energy drink/ bike wash/ road salt as the grub screws are stupidly small. And on my Venge the 3 grub screws are not tightened evenly.

Visqu

by Visqu

Those wanting to upgrade to the cane creek preloader, remember to get an extra bb30 bearing shield to go. The spesh preloader cone is also acting as a bearing shield and you'll be throwing this away.

I got the Sram bearing shields as they were easily available but anything meant for bb30 should do.

mistercee

by mistercee

Have some aerocoach chainrings coming and then I think I'm out of ideas for saving any more weight in a way I'm comfortable with.

Switched away from tubeless (never again!) to tubolito tubes with Attack/Force Continental rubber.

Aerocoach will save another 40g or so in chainrings.

15.5 ain't bad. Eat your heart out, tarmac.
Attachments
F25F78A4-876D-4591-B26E-C4CF79FD3520.jpeg

by Weenie

johnrho

by johnrho

Has anyone put sprint shifters on their 9170 build? Curious on the wire setup you’ve used. In the Aerofly II bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk