S-Works Venge 2019

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
robeambro

by robeambro

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:48 pm
robeambro wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:44 pm
Visus wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:24 pm
less SKUs, more streamlined portfolio
In theory yes, then in practice you've got full gravel bikes + endurance road with a pinch of gravel + whatever mtb that is almost gravel ... Not super streamlined to me.. And we're left with 1 (one) model that is fully meant for road use? More than streamlined portfolio, it seems to be that they're catering to every and any possible niche in the gravel-ish market, and leaving the "full road" segment behind :noidea:
In the US of A full road is dead baby, full road is dead. Just look at Zipp's new 303 wheels, once a bastion of full road.
Agreed but even most new gen climbing bikes can fit up to 32mm, which is plenty for tame gravel applications, which means most bikes such as the new SL7 will be able to occasionally tackle gravel as well. So even "pure road" can now accommodate gravel, without the need for so many models.

I guess at this point they might redesign full race bikes in a few years going full aero (kinda like SystemSix) and putting rim brakes back on, since the "mostly road with occasional gravel with decent aero" segment will be covered already by bikes such as the new SL7 or the Cervelo Caledonia (to name a couple..).. :noidea:

by Weenie

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

DCcyclist wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:12 pm
61cm & the US. So it's real they are killing the Venge?
This size... in a Venge... is like finding a unicorn. They just don't make very many of them, so they're going to be cobbled up quickly. If you really want one, I'd say make friends with your local Specialized dealer and let it be known that you are totally serious about getting one... you may have to even put down a deposit (this will depend on how friendly you are with them) to make sure they order one on the next alotment.
spdntrxi wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:46 pm
no bone in this fight but....
* I have serious doubts SL7 is more aero then a venge
* if spesh drops the venge again after roughly 1 year of production, that makes me never want to buy a spesh again.
The current Venge was released in July 2018 as 2019 model year bike. The normal Specialized product cycle would have it slated for development and replacement next year, July 2021. It is also entirely normal that Specialized is saying "or posturing" that the new Tarmac is more aero than the "old" Venge and don't seem to be promoting the Venge... it literally happens every product cycle and IMO is not a sign that the Venge will be discontinued. It is a sign that they';re currently seling the new Tarmac. Next year, when the new Venge is released, they'll be saying that is even more aerodynamic as the old Venge and is equal on weight to what will be the "old" Tarmac at that point.
ryanw wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:56 pm
The Venge is done. No more. Fact.
Waiting for facts or proof.

Visus

by Visus

robeambro wrote:
Visus wrote:
More than streamlined portfolio, it seems to be that they're catering to every and any possible niche in the gravel-ish market, and leaving the "full road" segment behind :noidea:
Ask your lbs how many road bikes they sell. And then ask them how many gravel(-ishy) bikes they sell :beerchug:
Nobody buys pure road bikes anymore (this forum is an anomaly :wink: )

robeambro

by robeambro

Visus wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:01 pm
robeambro wrote:
Visus wrote:
More than streamlined portfolio, it seems to be that they're catering to every and any possible niche in the gravel-ish market, and leaving the "full road" segment behind :noidea:
Ask your lbs how many road bikes they sell. And then ask them how many gravel(-ishy) bikes they sell :beerchug:
Fair point. I myself don't know many people who would splurge some 7-10k GBP/USD/EUR on a carbon gravel(-ishy) bike to put panniers & mudguards on, but if that's where the market is heading, so be it.. I suppose we'll all race crits on our Roubaix in a few years.

Visus

by Visus

robeambro wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:29 pm
Visus wrote:
robeambro wrote:
Visus wrote:
Fair point. I myself don't know many people who would splurge some 7-10k GBP/USD/EUR on a carbon gravel(-ishy) bike to put panniers & mudguards on, but if that's where the market is heading, so be it.. I suppose we'll all race crits on our Roubaix in a few years.
It's just we're living in a bubble. I see people left and right buying Open UPs/Specialized Diverges with Di2/Sram mullet set ups which demand a price in that range. Of course there will be race bikes sold for even more money but there will be less choice. I guess this will bounce back and the next big thing will be the all-road bike. Nobody wants to race on a Diverge but for example the new Cervelo Caledonia would not represent a big compromise.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Visus wrote:
robeambro wrote:
Visus wrote:
Funny, I see many, many, many road bikes in my area, gaggles, herds, peletons......they are everywhere!

I live in SW London and frequently ride around the area from Richmond to Windsor. Less people ride mbts on tarmac road here, though they are popular for off road activities.

I would say the road bike market is healthy here.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels 6.5kg

Visus

by Visus

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 pm
Visus wrote:
robeambro wrote:
Visus wrote:
Funny, I see many, many, many road bikes in my area, gaggles, herds, peletons......they are everywhere!

I live in SW London and frequently ride around the area from Richmond to Windsor. Less people ride mbts on tarmac road here, though they are popular for off road activities.

I would say the road bike market is healthy here.
There are probably big regional differences.
Another question would be how many of them are on new (bought during the last 2 years) purebred racebikes?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Visus wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:07 pm

There are probably big regional differences.
Another question would be how many of them are on new (bought during the last 2 years) purebred racebikes?
Yeah, it looks like quite a lot. I'm talking £2k and up, very few cheap alu framed bikes.

Before the Covid lockdown Richmond Park was akin to a racetrack for Venge and Madone owners and lots of tt bikes too. I see one guy cycling around with a full disk rear wheel (on calm days).

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I'm not disputing the expensive road bike market is down globally, I just don't agree with the assessment that road bikes are not selling anywhere and everyone is looking for gravel racers.

In London that is so not the case, road bikes have gained popularity in the past ten years. I'm sure there are other parts of the world where this is also true.

This is why I and many others on this forum can't comprehend the decision by well regarded US bike companies to move away from the road bike market. I mean cancelling the Venge would just mean anyone interested in a particularly expensive North American designed aero bike would buy a Madone, or R5.

Visus

by Visus

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:44 pm
This is why I and many others on this forum can't comprehend the decision by well regarded US bike companies to move away from the road bike market. I mean cancelling the Venge would just mean anyone interested in a particularly expensive North American designed aero bike would buy a Madone, or R5.
Cancelling the Venge doesn't mean to abandon the road market. The SL7 will be claimed as aero as the Venge and therefore the Venge lost it's purpose. The Venge wasn't much more than a design study for the new tarmac

captainolek

by captainolek

Triathlete Kristian Blummenfelt's latest video on YouTube features a red Venge (I guess it's not an SL7 as he always races with Venges) - 2021 colorway?
Attachments
2923B5CE-FEB8-4C37-8744-4A79DF0E4DA3.png

scapewalker

by scapewalker

I'm struggling to get my Berk Lupina forward enough on my venge to fit my position.
Is there anything i can do to get it even more forward on the stock venge seat clamp?

sychen

by sychen

Seems like you need the zero setback post.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

LukiP

by LukiP

Did anyone see Venge Pro Di2 size 52 in any Webshop in Europe?

by Weenie

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

... on the other hand, if the Venge is dead, that just means that its owners will forever have the best aero bike Spesh ever built, and very possibly one of the best road racing bikes, period. I mean tarmac is going to be awesome and all that, but definitely not as aero as the Venge, and weight difference is very marginal, so objectively not going to be quite as fast. :beerchug: