S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Skeeleye

by Skeeleye

I've purchased a Venge Pro size 52 and it should arrive next week, I'm so excited! I'm trying to figure out in advance what the cockpit will look like with spacers and am not 100% sure with the geo charts.

I'm coming off a Giant TCR and my current stack (center of BB to bottom of stem) is 540mm. Looking at the geo charts, a 52 Venge has a stack of 517. With the top cap (18mm) it will be at 535, so to achieve my current set up I should only need one 5mm spacer correct? I believe one spacer is mandatory below the stem for the cable integration and that measures at 5mm, so with that and the top cap I should be set correct?

Thanks for anyone's help with this.

Visqu

by Visqu

The top cap is more like 12-13mm, factor in the integrating spacer and you get 18mm.

https://www.bikegeocalc.com/ is really useful for this stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skeeleye

by Skeeleye

Visqu wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:23 pm
The top cap is more like 12-13mm, factor in the integrating spacer and you get 18mm.

https://www.bikegeocalc.com/ is really useful for this stuff.
Thanks for the tool Visqu and that bit about the top cap size

Martinbanshee

by Martinbanshee

Is it safe to use a 25mm GP5000TL with the CL50 Disc wheelset? I believe the CL50 Disc is hookless?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Martinbanshee wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 pm
Is it safe to use a 25mm GP5000TL with the CL50 Disc wheelset? I believe the CL50 Disc is hookless?
its not hookless.. you are ok

but I think the cl/clx tire retention/ bead lock is suspect
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

andreas

by andreas

Yeah, while easy to install they do leak a lot, like 0.5 bars per day for me (using sealant, same experience with 2 sets of tires, using original rim tape).

drc

by drc

So my Venge started developing the creakies after about 4500km.
I'm currently using the WheelsMFG delrin adapters with the stock bearings that came with the frame. The creaking/ticking stopped for a little while after taking off the cranks, cleaning and regreasing everything but came back quite fast after roughly two hours of riding.
Skimming through the thread, there seem to be quite a lot of options for different manufacturers' bottom bracket shells (Praxis/WheelsMFG/BBInifinite/Hambini), with the cost effective solutions being: Is one of them preferrable?

Visus

by Visus

drc wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:00 am
So my Venge started developing the creakies after about 4500km.
I'm currently using the WheelsMFG delrin adapters with the stock bearings that came with the frame. The creaking/ticking stopped for a little while after taking off the cranks, cleaning and regreasing everything but came back quite fast after roughly two hours of riding.
Skimming through the thread, there seem to be quite a lot of options for different manufacturers' bottom bracket shells (Praxis/WheelsMFG/BBInifinite/Hambini), with the cost effective solutions being: Is one of them preferrable?
Before you spend a lot of money:
Press out your bearing, use this opportnutiy to service them, repress them with brake protector. If the creak was from the BB it will be gone in 99% of cases

drc

by drc

Visus wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am
Before you spend a lot of money:
Press out your bearing, use this opportnutiy to service them, repress them with brake protector. If the creak was from the BB it will be gone in 99% of cases
I guess i should try that :wink:
But i'd need an alternative to the Wako brake proptector as that costs pretty much the same as one of the bottom bracket shells i mentioned :D

It might also just be the WheelsMFG adaptors being worn.

andreas

by andreas

I need to reinstall the Praxis conversion BB on both my bikes every 1-2 seasons due to creaking. I follow the manual's specs for grease/anti corrosion paste. Pressfit is a broken standard imo, too small tolerances.

pmprego

by pmprego

andreas wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:38 pm
I need to reinstall the Praxis conversion BB on both my bikes every 1-2 seasons due to creaking. I follow the manual's specs for grease/anti corrosion paste. Pressfit is a broken standard imo, too small tolerances.
I'm no mech engineer and not very astute in mechanics in general. I can imagine that press fit works in very tight tolerances. But how is the threaded version different? There are still two parts that thread into each other. If they are not built with high precision there will also be slack within the threads. Thus, there is still opportunities for creaks to appear. No? :noidea:

blehargh

by blehargh

Assuming you're running Shimano cranks - just go get a one piece BB like Hambini or BBInfinite. The PraxisWorks thread together BB wasn't great as mentioned above. The one piece just stops all this creaking silliness.

parajba

by parajba

How can I be 100% sure that the Venge frame that a friend of mine just purchased has the Ceramic Speed BB that should come as standard? It's the 2019 model.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Venge framesets are only sold as S-Works, which means it will only come with the crap CS BB.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

parajba

by parajba

ryanw wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:48 am
Venge framesets are only sold as S-Works, which means it will only come with the crap CS BB.
Thanks Ryan. I am asking because my friend just took delivery of his 2019 S Works frame and was wondering if there is a physical way to check that the BB is indeed the CS or if it has been swapped out by the LBS with a cheaper version. He has access to the frame. He showed me a picture of the BB, it's red.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com