S-Works Venge 2019

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
spdntrxi
Posts: 3200
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

thaking wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 pm
Well I have this mount which came with Venge...., but with original screws I can not mount it.
that looks like the screw from the garmin mount (on top) go thur to the go-pro mount.. like you need slightly longer screws (I'm guessing).. hopefully someone else chimes in

Bigmac
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm

by Bigmac

thaking wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 pm
Well I have this mount which came with Venge...., but with original screws I can not mount it.
That's the correct part. Mine came with several screws and I was able to attach the computer adapter with x2 of them and the Go Pro with another x2 from underneath, straight into the threaded holes in the main body of the mount.

by Weenie


DCcyclist
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:09 am

by DCcyclist

Bigmac wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 pm
The Roval CLX40 should be OK but I believe some of the earlier models were 135mm rather than 142mm so that would need checking. I'm not sure the Aerofly 11 bars come with any kind of mount, mine certainly didn't. The mount kit is a separate item for the stem, so unless you had purchased a frame, which, depending on the country, may come with the stem or not, then the kit, at least in the UK, is an additional £50.

There are some images further back in this thread of a Tarmac with a Venge stem & computer mount kit with Aerofly 11 bars - each to his own taste but having tried it myself, it wasn't for me, it was also a heavy option.

The challenge with the Aerofly 11 bars using anything other than a Venge stem is that there is little room for a regular out front mount. The bars have a small threaded insert into which the Cable Transition Kit is screwed, that then, at least on the Venge, provides the seamless aero profile. OK, so you don't have to use the kit, in which case you are left looking at the threaded inserts - there is still barely enough room to fit the thinnest out front mount. In reality, on anything other than a Venge, the original Aerofly bars are probably a far better option, if you can find any.
This is good stuff. I will check the wheels. They are from my Spesh I purchased back in Oct 2015 so I'm guessing they are 135mm.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Bigmac
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm

by Bigmac

DCcyclist wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:11 pm
Bigmac wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 pm
The Roval CLX40 should be OK but I believe some of the earlier models were 135mm rather than 142mm so that would need checking. I'm not sure the Aerofly 11 bars come with any kind of mount, mine certainly didn't. The mount kit is a separate item for the stem, so unless you had purchased a frame, which, depending on the country, may come with the stem or not, then the kit, at least in the UK, is an additional £50.

There are some images further back in this thread of a Tarmac with a Venge stem & computer mount kit with Aerofly 11 bars - each to his own taste but having tried it myself, it wasn't for me, it was also a heavy option.

The challenge with the Aerofly 11 bars using anything other than a Venge stem is that there is little room for a regular out front mount. The bars have a small threaded insert into which the Cable Transition Kit is screwed, that then, at least on the Venge, provides the seamless aero profile. OK, so you don't have to use the kit, in which case you are left looking at the threaded inserts - there is still barely enough room to fit the thinnest out front mount. In reality, on anything other than a Venge, the original Aerofly bars are probably a far better option, if you can find any.
This is good stuff. I will check the wheels. They are from my Spesh I purchased back in Oct 2015 so I'm guessing they are 135mm.
For some strange reason Specialized created a 135mm thru axle called SCS when 142mm was the industry standard. This was certainly used on the earIy Diverge models and I believe this was around 2015/2016. It caused buyers a bit of a dilema as replacement wheels, other than Roval, were few and far between. More recently the 142mm standard has been adopted - here's a link to some of SCS details:
https://bikerumor.com/2015/10/20/2016-s ... ent-story/

I'm no expert but if you have SCS 135 CLX 40's and you want to convert them to 142mm, it might be as simple as replacing the end caps. Whilst Roval say the hub is DT Swiss compatible, many of the end caps aren't interchangeable. The rearwheel might also need dishing so I would either contact a knowledgeable Spesh dealer or someone at Rider Care who can tell you exactly what's possible - good luck

xylar
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:36 pm

by xylar

Any ideas why the S Works/Pro is 11R whereas the S Works Tarmac is 12R?

Bigmac
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm

by Bigmac

xylar wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:53 pm
Any ideas why the S Works/Pro is 11R whereas the S Works Tarmac is 12R?
No idea i'm afraid, from what I underdstand 12R is lighter, stiffer and more expensive, but how much lighter or more expensive than 11R, who knows ? Maybe as the Tarmac is seen as a lighter, climbing bike, the 12R was deemed appropriate over the Venge 11R although, at the price, you would have thought the Venge would have been manufactured of the same material. I suspect there might be some boffins on this thread who know the actual answer, lets hope so!

blehargh
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 pm

by blehargh

xylar wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:53 pm
Any ideas why the S Works/Pro is 11R whereas the S Works Tarmac is 12R?
From: https://www.bikechaser.com.au/news/spec ... us-tarmac/
Essentially the Tarmac frame structure was designed first and foremost for lightweight and stiffness. Because of this, the 12r material was used to amplify that design. The Venge frame had a structure that was focused first on aerodynamics. Using the more premium material wouldn’t have provided a tangible weight or stiffness benefit on that frame.

Bigmac
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm

by Bigmac

I knew someone would have the answer! Interesting comparison, thanks for sharing!

ksavostin
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:12 am

by ksavostin

Henryexige wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:51 pm
jzinckgra wrote:
Henryexige wrote:
jzinckgra wrote:I'm interested in the venge. Currently ride a tcr advanced. There's only one specialized dealer that sells s works. What if I can't get a test ride? I haven't called to ask if they have one yet, but end of season, so assuming not likely. How many of you bought the venge without a test ride?
I have the TCR Advanced SL and the S-Works Venge V3.
TCR running on Roval CLX 50 and Di2 with power saddle
Venge V3 running into Roval CLX Disc, Sram red AXS and power saddle too

Both are totally different breed of bike. But it is nice to have both. I used to have the S-Works Tarmac SL6 too but I sold it in favour of the TCR.

TCR is definitely a bit slower on the flat road, but have awesome acceleration and haven’t have any other carbon carbon that is as raw as TCR. Not refined for sure. Venge on the other hand is really buttery smooth. In fact it is slightly better than Tarmac SL6 overall. Climb is almost as good as Tarmac or TCR.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting and good to know about the tarmac as I was looking into that as well, but figured that was closer to the TCR so why get another bike similar to what I have. I've been considering the venge, Madone or possibly the new Propel. Price wise, the propel is significantly less costly then the Madone or Venge.
I had the Madone SLR disc and traded in for the Venge V3 due to the irritating IsoSpeed coupler bolt keep loosing after a few rides. One of my shortest lifespan super bike in my garage. Tested the propel and sad to say, no where near the Madone SLR or Venge v3.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello. Despite you had problems with isospeed, which bike you liked more? Im debating between venge s-works and madone SLR. I liked madone's handlebar and stem combo a bit better than venge, and also madone looks a bit better to me. On the other hand venge has 0.5kg less weight, which will help me on climb races. Complete bike cost are about the same. Generally speaking, I only care about the performance, I don't care about how soft does it ride. Aero, acceleration, ability to climb, stiffness? - these parameters I would like too see on my next bike.

scapewalker
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:21 am

by scapewalker

Well you said it yourself 0.5kg makes a huge difference.
Otherwise the bikes are quite similar.

spdntrxi
Posts: 3200
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

1pound gonna kill ya.. I'd get the bike you like better

ajcav86
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:14 pm

by ajcav86

Is there a new version of the CLX 64 coming next year?

andreas
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm

by andreas

Never read anything about that, but Roval is releasing a new Terra CLX gravel model: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/10/2020-ro ... el-wheels/

scapewalker
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:21 am

by scapewalker

Do you guys reckon Specialized will add a technology similar to Treks isospeed to make the next Venge more compliant?
I still feel like my Venge is pretty darn harsh.

by Weenie



Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post