S-Works Venge 2019

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
IceLed

by IceLed

Officially you can't do that with Dura-Ace, but unofficially it works by adjusting the limit screws on the rear derailleur. In case of Ultegra, you can do it "officially" only with GS (not SS - short cage), but I don't think Venge comes with medium cage by default.
So either way you're looking at an unsupported setup.
Just as a though, as I had the same dilemma in my trip to Spain, would you not rather consider swapping out the front chainrings from 52/36 to 50/34? According to the bikecalc.com, the gear ratio of 36/32 and 34/30 is equal (=1.13).
S-Works Venge 2019 Battleship
Previous bikes:
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc 2019
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Agree C:62
Cube Peloton

IceLed

by IceLed

Fellow Venge riders, in preparation for the winter season it is time to replace my chain on the bike after 7k km. Honestly it doesn't show too much wear as per the tool, but just to be on the safe side (I've set the threshold in my head on 6k). I run Dura-Ace chain with Squirt wax.
So my question/ask for help - can someone please do me a favor and count the number of links on the chain?
Couldn't find it in the manual and since I only got the frame and moved the groupset from another bike, I am not having a reference point.
Couldn't count the links from the pictures on the web site as well...
Thanks in advance!
S-Works Venge 2019 Battleship
Previous bikes:
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc 2019
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Agree C:62
Cube Peloton

by Weenie

Boshk

by Boshk

Bigmac wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:04 am
icantaffordcycling wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:11 am
Those are the brand new 2020 colors.
..... Of course, there is a caveat with frameset warranty in that unless an authorised Speciialized dealer builds the bike up, then the warranty is void.
Now this I didn't know.

So anyone here who didn't buy a fully built venge from an official dealer is going to have zero warranty on the frame?

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Specialized have had this policy now for some years on framesets whereby the warranty is void if other than a Specialized dealer has built the bike up. A friend of mine purchased a 2018 Roubaix frameset, paid retail as they were in short supply, the same dealer then charged him £300 to build the bike up out of his existing components, many of which he had purchased from that same dealer previoulsy, it was a case of that, or no warranty. Seemed harsh but Specilaized themselves may have a point as not all home mechanics might be as profficient or use the correct tools and torques and maybe they were burnt with bogus claims. Personally I thought £300 build cost was on the steep side but he had a choice and it's certainly something anyone considering a Specilaized frameset purchase might want to take into account! I don't know anyone who has had a Specialized frameset failure after a self build and then tried to make a claim, I dare say there are some out there, it would be interesting to know the outcome!

Campervan

by Campervan

I had a qualified bike mechanic look at my venge post accident (been x-rayed, minor cosmetic damage) a while ago as the rear Di2 was being sluggish. Since then it as worse :oops: So I have done research as this is m first DI2 bike. I hated adjusting the mechanical RD's and it would always be worse after I touched it, hence getting someone else to sort it. Well I have fixed it back to like new so I'm really happy. I'll never go back to that mechanic. However if need be I'll go to the LBS where I got it from who ARE very good.

Can anybody recomend a good chain catcher for a new venge?
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Campervan wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:14 pm
I had a qualified bike mechanic look at my venge post accident (been x-rayed, minor cosmetic damage) a while ago as the rear Di2 was being sluggish. Since then it as worse :oops: So I have done research as this is m first DI2 bike. I hated adjusting the mechanical RD's and it would always be worse after I touched it, hence getting someone else to sort it. Well I have fixed it back to like new so I'm really happy. I'll never go back to that mechanic. However if need be I'll go to the LBS where I got it from who ARE very good.

K-Edge

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Campervan wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:14 pm

K-Edge is probably the gold standrd and their catchers can often be found on pro bikes. Token also market a neat item as do Rotor. Funny enough Specialized used to supply an S-Works catcher with new framesets a few years ago. They weren't pretty but did the job, you still see a few come up on Ebay

scapewalker

by scapewalker

What cleaning product are you guys using to get the most out of the matt/satin black paint job on your venge?

cerro

by cerro

I use regular muc-off bikewash and then their bike protect afterwards which makes it great every time :)
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)

Miles253

by Miles253

Bigmac wrote:Specialized have had this policy now for some years on framesets whereby the warranty is void if other than a Specialized dealer has built the bike up. A friend of mine purchased a 2018 Roubaix frameset, paid retail as they were in short supply, the same dealer then charged him £300 to build the bike up out of his existing components, many of which he had purchased from that same dealer previoulsy, it was a case of that, or no warranty. Seemed harsh but Specilaized themselves may have a point as not all home mechanics might be as profficient or use the correct tools and torques and maybe they were burnt with bogus claims. Personally I thought £300 build cost was on the steep side but he had a choice and it's certainly something anyone considering a Specilaized frameset purchase might want to take into account! I don't know anyone who has had a Specialized frameset failure after a self build and then tried to make a claim, I dare say there are some out there, it would be interesting to know the outcome!
I didn't know this either, I've got my frameset ready to build and I've always planned on using my normal mechanic....

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Specialized S-Works Venge | in progress
Rose Backroad | 9kg
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.5kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Has anyone got a pic of a Venge stem on a Tarmac etc?. Curious how they look and if it could be run with no dust cap too...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Campervan

by Campervan

IceLed wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:27 am
Officially you can't do that with Dura-Ace, but unofficially it works by adjusting the limit screws on the rear derailleur. In case of Ultegra, you can do it "officially" only with GS (not SS - short cage), but I don't think Venge comes with medium cage by default.
Just as a though, as I had the same dilemma in my trip to Spain, would you not rather consider swapping out the front chainrings from 52/36 to 50/34? According to the bikecalc.com, the gear ratio of 36/32 and 34/30 is equal (=1.13).
I'm off to Ternerife in the new year. Can I just swap my 50/34 chainrings on and go from there?
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Btwin 540

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Campervan wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:38 am
IceLed wrote:
I'm off to Ternerife in the new year. Can I just swap my 50/34 chainrings on and go from there?
Your chain is likley to be too long in some gears with the 34t ring, might work OK providing you remember not to use the 34 with the 11t cog, which ideally you wouldn't anyway - best try it out under workshop conditions first, quick enough to swap the rings over

Campervan

by Campervan

Bigmac wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am
Campervan wrote:
IceLed wrote:
Your chain is likley to be too long in some gears with the 34t ring, might work OK providing you remember not to use the 34 with the 11t cog, which ideally you wouldn't anyway - best try it out under workshop conditions first, quick enough to swap the rings over
Would an 11-32 cassette fit with the ultegra di2 RD? There are some fun climbs in tenerife...like 40km constant.
I think I will adjust the chain if I was able to do cassette and rings.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Btwin 540

by Weenie

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Campervan wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:52 am
Bigmac wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am
Campervan wrote:
IceLed wrote:
Would an 11-32 cassette fit with the ultegra di2 RD? There are some fun climbs in tenerife...like 40km constant.
I suspect the standard 11-30 is the maximum you can use with the standard chain legth fitted, worth a go though!