S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blehargh

by blehargh

voltairesb wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:00 pm
iheartbianchi wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:49 am
I recently fixed a "BB creak" which I found out was actually coming from the carbon seatpost not having enough carbon compound.
So far I have:

1)removed and regreased axles
2)loosened and retorqued headset, stem, stem cap bolts
3)loosened and retorqued seat post (though noise is loudest out of the saddle)
4)tightened crank bolts
5)swapped in old pedals
6)swapped in another crank
7)swapped in a new bottom bracket (of the same design)
8)loosened, anti-seize coated and re installed bottle cage bolts

I'm at a loss!
Other things:

1) your cleats
2) swap wheels if possible? Just to eliminate things

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jhalmar

by jhalmar

I would try to put a little bit grease on every bolt. My seatpost was torqued perfectly and clicking noise was really annoying. I greased the seatpost bolt and it helped at that time. Once my rear derailleur cage was also making noises and lubrication helped.

dcorn

by dcorn

I started getting a bad drivetrain creaking after a short ride in light rain on a bike with maybe 500 miles, only made noise when I applied even the slightest amount of power to the pedals. Shop took the freehub off, wiped it out, and regreased everything inside. The noise went away completely.

ODC

by ODC

voltairesb wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:00 pm
iheartbianchi wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:49 am
I recently fixed a "BB creak" which I found out was actually coming from the carbon seatpost not having enough carbon compound.
So far I have:

1)removed and regreased axles
2)loosened and retorqued headset, stem, stem cap bolts
3)loosened and retorqued seat post (though noise is loudest out of the saddle)
4)tightened crank bolts
5)swapped in old pedals
6)swapped in another crank
7)swapped in a new bottom bracket (of the same design)
8)loosened, anti-seize coated and re installed bottle cage bolts

I'm at a loss!
Do you use a Dura Ace cassette? They are known to creak.
Otherwise i would check the cassette or change you’re wheels.

How hard did you put you’re thru axles on (Nm)? I known a friend that had a creak, with his Venge, and it was his own fault because he didn’t put the thru axles hard enough on. I know that the axles must be around 14-15Nm.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

As long as you been thorough in troubleshooting all possible sources of creaking, then okay, maybe it's time to try a bottom bracket solution. Also is the creak occuring at exactly once per crank revolution or variable based on cadence/gearing? In and out of the saddle. Left leg, right leg pedaling only? Scoot back and forth on your seat?

I recently had a squeak on my bike I thought was the seatpost or saddle clamp. Turns out it was the leather rubbing against the end of the rails. A dab of lube dealt with that.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

dcorn wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:28 pm
I started getting a bad drivetrain creaking after a short ride in light rain on a bike with maybe 500 miles, only made noise when I applied even the slightest amount of power to the pedals. Shop took the freehub off, wiped it out, and regreased everything inside. The noise went away completely.
Ive been getting a "crack" sound which I thought was my Campy Power2Max crank bearing.. turns out it was actually the freehub on my Bora Ultra wheel...

ckspark

by ckspark

Has anyone else experienced speed wobble from the front CL50? I did today at 42mph and it was quite disconcerting. It was breezy today but I haven't experienced it from my other carbon wheels.

Martinbanshee

by Martinbanshee

Nope, no issues here so far and I’ve clocked over 50 mph on my Venge so far in some pretty windy days. I’ve got a set of 62mm Reynolds Strike SLGs on my Pinarello and they’re noticeable more unstable in strong crosswinds but they are a bit deeper.
I’d say the CL50s are performing as I hoped they would.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ckspark wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:44 pm
Has anyone else experienced speed wobble from the front CL50? I did today at 42mph and it was quite disconcerting. It was breezy today but I haven't experienced it from my other carbon wheels.
I'm on CLX50 (same profile)... I hit 50 the other week... 46 this week... no issues.

that being said I'd much rather be on my Enve 4.5AR or Enve5.6 in heavy crosswinds.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

fritzbox

by fritzbox

Rocket ImageImageImage

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

a beaut
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

ckspark wrote:
What size frame do you ride? It's quite an important question and will be a useful thing for others to know.

Speed wobble is a resonance issue - where frame, wheel and tyre combo start oscillating at resonant frequency under specific conditions. So what you've experienced is likey to be quite specific to CL 50 (possibly not even CLX 50, because spokes are different), your frame size and maybe even the tyre you had on.

Bigmac

by Bigmac

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am
ckspark wrote:
What size frame do you ride? It's quite an important question and will be a useful thing for others to know.

Speed wobble is a resonance issue - where frame, wheel and tyre combo start oscillating at resonant frequency under specific conditions. So what you've experienced is likey to be quite specific to CL 50 (possibly not even CLX 50, because spokes are different), your frame size and maybe even the tyre you had on.
I've had similar issues with previous bikes, in one instance I changed the stem length and the problem went away. I'm not sure it's a CL 50 issue at all! I dare say there are some Guru's out there that know the step by step process to sort the issue, sadly it's way beyone me!

Bigmac

by Bigmac

fritzbox wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:56 am
Rocket ImageImageImage
Very Nice!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am
Exactly... I'd actually even pose the argument that the problem could be as specific as where in the rotation the front wheel is vs. the rear wheel. Most wheels are slightly out of balance.. i.e not perfect balanced all around because of the lack of material in the rim where the valve hole is... some of that weight is made up for when the tire and tube are installed and the valve adds weight, but obviously adds more weight than is lost. If you put the bike in the stand and spin the wheel fast you'll see it. This can be exxaggerated bya wheel that is slightly out of true our maybe has a small hop. Now, when you combine the spinning of the front wheel and rear wheel, spinning at the perfect rotations relative to each other. It can be a hard problem to diagnose.. short of just experimenting and changing some of the variables like tires and tubes, etc. I also think that it can be influenced by the way someone pedals... how the hips rock and the body moves up and down during the pedal stroke.