S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

Could S-Works Venge 2018/2019 owners tell me if you have a creaking coming from your headset/stem when you are on the big ring in front and one of the small rings on the rear (in my case it creaks when sprinting, climbing, not sprinting)? The Specialized-shop told me today, after keeping it for 2 days and not doing shit on it, that "that's how it is with carbon bikes and I have to live with it".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skeeleye

by Skeeleye

Vivo3d wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:01 pm
Could S-Works Venge 2018/2019 owners tell me if you have a creaking coming from your headset/stem when you are on the big ring in front and one of the small rings on the rear (in my case it creaks when sprinting, climbing, not sprinting)? The Specialized-shop told me today, after keeping it for 2 days and not doing shit on it, that "that's how it is with carbon bikes and I have to live with it".
I can't say I've noticed creaking with that combination, I will keep a closer eye now though. That isn't how it comes out of the box though, so I think their explanation is bs

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

Skeeleye wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:22 pm
Vivo3d wrote:
I can't say I've noticed creaking with that combination, I will keep a closer eye now though. That isn't how it comes out of the box though, so I think their explanation is bs
Thanks!
In Germany you have to go through a shop, unfortunately. Honestly, in my case it creaks so loud that you can't not notice it. And that can't be normal. So if you didn't notice it yet, it doesn't creak like my one does.

parajba

by parajba

Vivo3d wrote:
Absolutely not. Change shop, biggest BS of the year.

parajba

by parajba

Duplicate.
Last edited by parajba on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parajba

by parajba

Duplicate.

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

parajba wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:08 pm
Vivo3d wrote:
Thanks! Yeah will go to a different Specialized shop tomorrow. And if he tells me the same thing, I will go to a non Specialized shop.

Greg0rE

by Greg0rE

Weaklegs wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:30 pm
I can't see any similarities in stem or the cups/rings...
057576B0-4246-4072-A192-6740E9DBA583.png
35F7BDD8-A85E-4FFB-97DF-60C937F87FD2.png
Building up a Venge 2019 atm and mulling over whether I should go with the Venge stem or the Tarmac Stem. Are the spacer kit to run a 12-degree stem/get the dust cap (S182500011) identical or are there any differences between both stems?

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Vivo3d wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:37 pm
parajba wrote:
Vivo3d wrote:
Thanks! Yeah will go to a different Specialized shop tomorrow. And if he tells me the same thing, I will go to a non Specialized shop.
this is a long shot, but try wrapping the plastic compression ring in teflon tape (PTFE thread seal tape).

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

Vivo3d wrote:
parajba wrote:
Vivo3d wrote:
If the new shop does not take care of the issue I would dispute the charge on my credit card. Please tell me you used a CC.

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

FactoryMatt wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:51 pm
Vivo3d wrote:
parajba wrote:
Vivo3d wrote:
this is a long shot, but try wrapping the plastic compression ring in teflon tape (PTFE thread seal tape).
Yeah, I could have tried that. But unfortunately the compression ring wasn't the reason for the creaking. It is the bb-shell in the frame and the mechanic at the sceond shop is in contact with Specialized.
AMGRoadster wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:20 am
Vivo3d wrote:
parajba wrote:
Vivo3d wrote:
If the new shop does not take care of the issue I would dispute the charge on my credit card. Please tell me you used a CC.
Yeah, I used my CC. But would have to check with Amex if I still could do that or if it is already too late. Anyway, the mechanic at the new shop took the time and re-ckecked everything and unfortunately it is coming from the BB shell in the frame. He is sure it is not the BB because you really couldn't get it more tight and the alignment of the BB couldn't be better (cranks spin very easy and smooth). Pressing on the left pedal with all your weight, it creaks exactly like when pedaling. You then have to do the same on the opposite site and you hear the creak again. Then again left, then right, then left....etc. Specialized is informed so I have to wait.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Hacksaw the glued in cups out and run a bbinfinite pf30 bb. Their website has a video tutorial. I did this with my Cruxes and its awesome.

Vivo3d

by Vivo3d

FactoryMatt wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:07 pm
Hacksaw the glued in cups out and run a bbinfinite pf30 bb. Their website has a video tutorial. I did this with my Cruxes and its awesome.
:shock:
I saw that video even before I bought the Venge and I was shocked. But let's wait and see what Specialized has to say because the frame is under warranty.

Jorgevenge20

by Jorgevenge20

I just got very fortunate and found 100 mm SL7 stem to save 55g. It didn't come with the plastic cap. Does anyone know where to find them? I know the Venge one is larger

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

Can you confirm the under stem spacers spacers work with the Tarmac stem in the Venge? I asked a shop who stocks both and they just said it doesn't work as stems are different. I suspect they had not tested it though.