S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gruppetto

by gruppetto

zik wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:01 pm
I'm gonna buy s-works venge 2020 frame but would use it with shimano equipment, what I need to buy to install ultagra crank on it, because bb30 is not compatible with this frame as I read? Do I need to remove installed bottom bracket from frame?
thanks
You will either need a BB30 Hollowtech II adapter or a BB30 Hollowtech II BB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zik

by zik

But if I'll buy BB30 bottom bracket do I need then first remove these factory installed metal rings inside BB?

tommsup

by tommsup

Yes, if you want to install a BB30 to shimano bottom bracket you need to remove the bearings and the circlips that holds them in place. I would recommend a Hambini or BBinfinite BB30 to shimano bottombracket due to the one-piece design.
Last edited by tommsup on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

gruppetto

by gruppetto

To be totally honest and form what you are writing, I would suggest asking your local bike shop to assist you.

Bigmac

by Bigmac

zik wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:10 pm
But if I'll buy BB30 bottom bracket do I need then first remove these factory installed metal rings inside BB?
There's no such thing as a BB30 bottom bracket, it's purely the bearings. Just leave the standard bearings that came with the frame, this includes the metal rings/circlips, then just use 30mm to 24mm adapters, if you buy the Wheels Manufacturing ones they likely wont crease or cause any issues

Bigmac

by Bigmac

Bigmac wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:09 pm
zik wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:10 pm
There's no such thing as a BB30 bottom bracket, it's purely the bearings. Just leave the standard bearings that came with the frame, this includes the metal rings/circlips, then just use 30mm to 24mm adapters, if you buy the Wheels Manufacturing ones they likely wont crease or cause any issues
I should add that you could use a one piece unit such as Ceramicspeed, Kogel or suchlike, in that case you would need to remove the metal clips

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

This forum is hilarious.

There most definitely is such a thing as a BB30 bottom bracket standard. We don't call it a 6806BB since that is the bearing ID, be it inboard or outboard.

For example, a C-Bear BB30 is a pair of aluminium cups that have an OD of 41mm that are pressed into the BB shell. Each cup contains a 6806 bearing that sits outboard, and excludes the needs for any sh*tty adapters or a plethora of spacers.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Hexsense

by Hexsense

^ and bbinfinite one piece bb30 bottom bracket use custom bearing (40mm OD, 30mm ID) house in the 42mm OD housing to fit in the bb30 frame.
Yes, there is such thing as bb30 standard.

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bb3 ... 4403002702

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

Since you are already discussing BBs for the venge: Is there a difference between the OEM-Spec Ceramic Speed BB from a Tarmac / Venge and the standard ones you can buy at ceramic speed / in the aftermarket?
I'm currently debating whtether to buy one of the bearings from a frameset or to get a C-Bear, because both cost about 90€ here. Which one should I get for my Bike using a P2M Rotor Aldhu Crank?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

In my experience, the OEM CeramicSpeed bearings that come with the frame are awful and nothing like the off the shelf CS bearings you can buy from a shop.
For the price, I'd go C-Bear over CS everytime. They're as good as eachother, just that one is half the price.

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

ryanw wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:20 pm
In my experience, the OEM CeramicSpeed bearings that come with the frame are awful and nothing like the off the shelf CS bearings you can buy from a shop.
For the price, I'd go C-Bear over CS everytime. They're as good as eachother, just that one is half the price.
Thank you! How is your experience with the standard C-bear vs the one for CX / all weather riding?

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

ryanw wrote:
Wow, am I the only one stunned by this? So the CS bearings used in a stock S-Works frame differ from those CS sells in their webshop? I honestly didn't expect that.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

nulldreiundreissig wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:15 pm
ryanw wrote:
Thank you! How is your experience with the standard C-bear vs the one for CX / all weather riding?
I run the road / race seals on my bikes, also used them on my CX bike. Guess it just depends how fastidious you are with your cleaning.
I'd use the CX seals on an MTB and CX bike that is getting raced regularly.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

ryanw wrote:
In your (obviously considerable) BB experience, do CS bearings provided to other manufacturers as OE parts (e.g. SRAM ceramic bottom brackets) differ from the bearings sold by CS off the shelf?
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

nulldreiundreissig

by nulldreiundreissig

Ritsuke wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:24 pm
ryanw wrote:
Wow, am I the only one stunned by this? So the CS bearings used in a stock S-Works frame differ from those CS sells in their webshop? I honestly didn't expect that.
Yes it seems hard to believe, especially given that Spesh heavily marketed the S-Works framesets as CS-equipped. Yet it looks rather suspicious to me that bearings from S-Works framesets that have never been mounted sell for 70-100€ in German ebay (Kleinanzeigen), but there's little chance to find the aftermarket ones for prices lower than 200 EUR, which led to my original question.
ryanw wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:29 pm
nulldreiundreissig wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:15 pm
ryanw wrote:
I run the road / race seals on my bikes, also used them on my CX bike. Guess it just depends how fastidious you are with your cleaning.
I'd use the CX seals on an MTB and CX bike that is getting raced regularly.
That's a very good question. My bikes gets cleaned after almost every ride, but I was always afraid of ruining the bearings / seals when opening them too often. How often should one take apart the cranks and regrease the bearings? And which grease would you recommend?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com