S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:09 pm
Maddie wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 pm
Depending on the color scheme, the MY19 Venge frameset is around 100-150g heavier than the SL7. On the other hand, the Venge is more aero than the SL7 and can be built sub 6.8kg. I don't know how that could be obsolete in the next years.
What wheels when you make it 6.8 KG?
Mine is 6.9kg with 65mm i9.65 clincher wheels (~1500g). And that's a size 58cm. With Ultegra shifters and derailleurs.

Looking at the measured weights in the SL7 thread, the weight difference is very small in larger sizes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gruppetto

by gruppetto

My S-Works Tarmac SL7 frame weighs exactly 15 gramms less than my Venge frame. Frame weight really depends mostly on the paint nowadays.
The Venge comes with a horrendously heavy stem, while the Tarmac now needs a much heavier expander.
At the end you can build both bikes near or at the UCI weight limit and the Venge is still performing better in the aero department.

I can second that I can not tell any difference in compliance between the two bikes.

Owning both bikes I can say that in my opinion and in the opinion of some pros who ride Specialized bikes the Venge is still the better bike.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Ytse wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:17 am
Ride4Life wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:24 am
I have pretty much the same parts on both my Venge and Tarmac SL7.

While my Venge is slightly heavier (less than 80 grams of that)......I prefer the Venge over the Tarmac.

In fact, the Venge is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden.
What about compliance?
That was one of the only concerns I had prior to purchasing my Venge.

However, I ride mine with ENVE 7.8 disc and to be honest, even that's not bad. I never feel beat up, nor do I consider it a harsh ride.

I also have a set ENVE 4.5 AR disc with 28mm tires. Very compliant with this setup and I could ride that all day, hours on end.

So if complaince is a concern, 28mm tires with the right PSI is the way to go IMHO.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Maddie wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:31 am
I ride a Venge and a SL7. Equipped with the same wheelset, tires and, most importantly, the same tire pressure, IMHO there is 0 difference in compliance. I also believe that if the Venge was not presented in 2019 but now, it would still be a huge success and sell like crazy.
I agree...

I really can't tell a difference in complaince riding them back to back.

Ytse

by Ytse

Ride4Life wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:34 pm
Ytse wrote:
Ride4Life wrote:

While my Venge is slightly heavier (less than 80 grams of that)......I prefer the Venge over the Tarmac.

What about compliance?

However, I ride mine with ENVE 7.8 disc and to be honest, even that's not bad. I never feel beat up, nor do I consider it a harsh ride.

I also have a set ENVE 4.5 AR disc with 28mm tires. Very compliant with this setup and I could ride that all day, hours on end.

So if complaince is a concern, 28mm tires with the right PSI is the way to go IMHO.
Thanks for the insights!
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

gruppetto wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:19 pm
es with a horrendously heavy stem, while ...
This is why it's great that it also came with the headset cover that allows using virtually any cockpit.

robertonavaz

by robertonavaz

hi I'm looking for a black Venge frame, but in this period it is difficult to find it at a good price. Is there any other aero frame that in size 56 is below or at least around 900 grams? I can only think of the SL7 (which however is less aero and costs even more), the Filante (which costs and is not really Aero).

dmetzinger

by dmetzinger

Ride4Life wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:34 pm
Ytse wrote:
Ride4Life wrote:

What about compliance?

I agree 100% - I had my S Works Venge set up with Enve 4.5 ARs as well and it was really comfortable. I preferred it to the SL7 S Works I just sold. I regret selling the Venge and (strangely) never warmed to the Tarmac.
Seven Axiom SG - Force AXS rim brake
Colnago C50 - Campy Chorus 12
Wilier Filante - SRAM Force/Red AXS
Wilier Zero SLR - Red AXS

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

robertonavaz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:43 pm
hi I'm looking for a black Venge frame, but in this period it is difficult to find it at a good price. Is there any other aero frame that in size 56 is below or at least around 900 grams? I can only think of the SL7 (which however is less aero and costs even more), the Filante (which costs and is not really Aero).
Venge is likely one of the (if not the) lightest full-aero frame. The closest alternatives are new bikes which will cost more than a used Venge (new Scott Foil, Ostro, etc.)

Ytse

by Ytse

robertonavaz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:43 pm
2021 Canyon Aeroad CFR or CF SLX. They are advertised as 915 grams and 990 grams in size M (559mm virtual top tube length). Really not bad for a frame that is on par with the Systemsix, when it comes to drag.

robertonavaz

by robertonavaz

Nice one but no used bikes/frame in Italy

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Ytse

by Ytse

robertonavaz wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:49 pm

You can buy a brand new Aeroad for the price of a second hand Venge or SL7 easily.

pmprego

by pmprego

Ytse wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:42 pm
robertonavaz wrote:

You can buy a brand new Aeroad for the price of a second hand Venge or SL7 easily.
Geometries between these two are way different from each other. I find it interesting how for some people geometries really don't care. It's irrelevant. The same goes for parts support and stuff like that. It's all about sales price. The one who offers the lowest wins.

robertonavaz

by robertonavaz

Aeroad (I’ve ridden for two years the second version), venge and factor to me is ok as for geometry. I’m looking for the seka exceed rdc but it’s a little too high and short in stack/reach.

Driveability is not important to me because all the recent bikes I've tried rode well enough. for my interests it is important that it is light, aerodynamic and within the available budget.
Likewise to me i don’t care the bb stanard: once I’ve got the frame I’ll buy the correct bb and crank.

Ytse

by Ytse

pmprego wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:49 pm
Ytse wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:42 pm
robertonavaz wrote:

Geometries between these two are way different from each other. I find it interesting how for some people geometries really don't care. It's irrelevant. The same goes for parts support and stuff like that. It's all about sales price. The one who offers the lowest wins.
According to factory data published, a 54 Venge (latest gen, 2020) and a size S Aeroad CFR/CF SLX are almost identical in reach and stack, <= 5 mm difference in both dimension, which can be easily within tolerance or offset by stem length and/or spacers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com