S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

taodemon wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:15 pm
Likely not but at the same time the roubaix rim “frame only” option is showing up on the specialized website finally. Also are they willing to lose sales to all the other aero road bikes available in both? I know the chances are slim of a rim version but I’ll keep hoping until they announce it officially. :p
Wow... good catch on the Roubaix. I had not previously heard that or seen it. That is interesting. I'm assuming they were forced to offer it for sale to get around the stipuliation from the UCI that professionals ride bikes offered for sale to the public. It seems that the profesional riders are riding disc brake bikes in ever increasing numbers and as other manufacturers bring more of their bikes to market as disc options, I beleive that even more will do so.. at some point, we'll see a change over where neautral service begins carrying more disc stuff then rim and then the rim brake will die. I really do think this year will be the last.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

No rim brakes VENGE planned

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Giant said that about the Propel.

mile2424

by mile2424

I bet we see Sagan riding a rim brake version during the tour. But again, he could ride whatever he wants. I wouldn't expect a rim brake version to be available to the public.

taodemon

by taodemon

mile2424 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:57 pm
I bet we see Sagan riding a rim brake version during the tour. But again, he could ride whatever he wants. I wouldn't expect a rim brake version to be available to the public.
If they make a rim version for the pros there is a chance it makes it for the public, even if it does take a year or more like the latest roubaix. If we see Sagan on disc version then yes, all hopes of a rim version are likey gone. We’ll have to keep an eye open for what he rides starting June 9th at the tour de suisse?

mile2424

by mile2424

Pretty sure Sagan doesn't like disc's beacause of the time needed for wheel changes if he flats. Of course Specialized marketing could say you don't have a choice, but we will see.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Im guessing the only rim brake version we see Sagan on is the Tarmac..

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Also listed by UCI is a Tarmac SL6 9R... Any ideas/guesses?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

REGICYCLE wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:10 am
Also listed by UCI is a Tarmac SL6 9R... Any ideas/guesses?

Lower grade Tarmac to replace the Expert/Comp/Elite/Sport level bikes. Nothing terribly exciting.

sebastian19

by sebastian19

Is it just me or does anybody else find the "old" venge VIAS frame to be much more aero and aesthetic?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

How can you find the old Venge more aero without any data on the new one? The lower seatstays, and possibly the bar/stem changes alone are probably the most significant aero bump. Can’t see definitively, but the downtube seems to be very narrow on the leading edge all the way down to the BB shell.

The old Venge always felt like a hodgepodge of mismatched pieces that happened to work. The new one looks cleaner.

L3X

by L3X

sebastian19 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am
Is it just me or does anybody else find the "old" venge VIAS frame to be much more aero and aesthetic?
Assuming you mean more aeshetically pleasing, I think it's you :) I didn't poll it or anything but I do have a strong feeling people like this one a lot more than the old one.

Also given they have a wind tunnel in their R&D facility, I assume this will be at least as fast or faster from an aero point of view.

Shrike

by Shrike

sebastian19 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am
I love the look of the 'old' VIAS. One of my favourite looking bikes of all time. (Admittedly though the stem needs slammed as it looks ridiculous otherwise).

Probably the only guy here that will ever say that out loud. The new one is looking class too, but more conventional for an aero bike. Which is fine and even reassuring. Aero bikes should be about the science. The flair and brand tics should be tertiary, at best, in this category.

The aero features you're mindful of are the sculpted downtube and bars? Yes those features may look more aero, and the VIAS tested excellently - usually top 3, in most tests.

The new one will be better no doubt. Can't see the big S bringing out a less aero aero-bike. The design will be based around aerodynamics for a disc model from the ground up, as opposed to a mid-gen hatchet job. Or I'd assume so at least. Lighter too I'm sure. We need more lightweight aero competition. The weight of some of these new aero frames is shocking. We know fast bikes can be made light - see: Aeroad 2015.

Datmo

by Datmo

It feels like most aero bikes these days are starting to look the same. The new Venge looks quite familiar compared to the latest gen Canyon Aeroad, Scott Foil, Merida Reacto etc. It’s not a bad thing, I just think certain “standards” have finally been set with dropped seat stays, integrated cockpits and now discs with thru axles etc.

I remember reading somewhere that Mark Cote, Head of Global Marketing and Innovation at Specialized, mentioned that modern road race stages have changed compared to say ten years ago. There are very few completely flat or hilly stages anymore. So whilst lightness was always important, due to the 6.8kg UCI weight limit, aero started to become much more important. And that started the whole search for the best all rounder. He said these elitist bikes will sit closer together in manufacturers line up so all bikes offer great stiffness, light weight and aero properties. It’s just better for the manufacturers to have a bigger offering rather than the one bike. I think with the new Tarmac and now this Venge, it’s clear that they’re not only look very similar to each other but also many other manufacturers offerings. It’s almost like the industry have agreed on what actually works.

Slack

by Slack

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:54 pm
Giant said that about the Propel.
Yeah, and there is no new rim brake Propel in range topping SL it's only available in disc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com