S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

adriant

by adriant

Hi, I have a question. I will ask that because in Romania we don't have a proper bike fitting shop.

I found brand new 2020 S Works Venge in size 61. And I don't know if will fit me properly.

Currently I have an Canyon Aerod in size 2XL, but my stem is 80mm long (i had 110 and i can't ride that long) and my saddle is all the way to the front.
Some people told me the frame is too big for me and I should go down a size.

On my canyon I have only 7.5mm of spacers, I removed 20mm a few months ago.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/cany ... e-2019-58/

Both 58 and 61 Venges are smaller than my current bike

My inseam is 95 cm and my height is 195 cm, my saddle height is 85cm on my current bike ( from bb to the top of the saddle).
I'm not sure if a 58 frame have enough seat post length

pmprego

by pmprego

adriant wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 am
Hi, I have a question. I will ask that because in Romania we don't have a proper bike fitting shop.

I found brand new 2020 S Works Venge in size 61. And I don't know if will fit me properly.

Currently I have an Canyon Aerod in size 2XL, but my stem is 80mm long (i had 110 and i can't ride that long) and my saddle is all the way to the front.

My inseam is 95 cm and my height is 195 cm, my saddle height is 85cm on my current bike ( from bb to the top of the saddle).
- that canyon is way too big. that's a fact.
- If you have problems with reach (I know I have) you shouldn't slam your stem given that for every 10mm you reduce its height, your reach increases by around 3mm (it depends on head tube angle but I find this a good rule of thumb)
- The venge numbers you see there (and the same for the sl7) are somehow incorrect given that the venge requires a mandatory 10mm headset spacer that basically raises the stack by... 10mm and reduces the reach by around 3mm (the rule of thumb above) - I usually look instead at the sl6 geometry numbers given that the sl6 doesnt "suffer" from that situation.
In conclusion, with a 58 venge AND 30mm of spacers (I know it's not the prettiest thing but for me proper fit is more important) puts you in a 100 to 110mm stem again which makes much more sense. Go with a 58 and accept some spacers in it and you'll get a much more appropriate handling bike.

With the venge you can also get a 0-offset seatpost and put that saddle in the same position as you have now but centered in the rails I guess. Finally, also take into account the reach of the handlebar given that what you should be concerned with is total effective reach (reach to the hoods).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mgrl

by mgrl

The aeroad has a mandatory 20mm of spacer, for reference

Raymonndo

by Raymonndo

On the off chance, does anyone know of a 54cm frameset available anywhere? 😁

pmprego

by pmprego

mgrl wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am
I don't know how the person measured its 7.5mm I guess without the 20mm mandatory then. 20mm mandatory is a lot!! I'd suggest a totally different geometry bike then.

adriant

by adriant

pmprego wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm
mgrl wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am
I don't know how the person measured its 7.5mm I guess without the 20mm mandatory then. 20mm mandatory is a lot!! I'd suggest a totally different geometry bike then.
Yea my bad, in my mind spacers are without the mandatory spacer, in my mind that is a part of headset. But yea I have the 20 mm mandatory spacer, one 5mm and one 2.5mm

Visus

by Visus

pmprego wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:50 am
adriant wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 am

- that canyon is way too big. that's a fact.
- If you have problems with reach (I know I have) you shouldn't slam your stem given that for every 10mm you reduce its height, your reach increases by around 3mm (it depends on head tube angle but I find this a good rule of thumb)
- The venge numbers you see there (and the same for the sl7) are somehow incorrect given that the venge requires a mandatory 10mm headset spacer that basically raises the stack by... 10mm and reduces the reach by around 3mm (the rule of thumb above) - I usually look instead at the sl6 geometry numbers given that the sl6 doesnt "suffer" from that situation.
In conclusion, with a 58 venge AND 30mm of spacers (I know it's not the prettiest thing but for me proper fit is more important) puts you in a 100 to 110mm stem again which makes much more sense. Go with a 58 and accept some spacers in it and you'll get a much more appropriate handling bike.

With the venge you can also get a 0-offset seatpost and put that saddle in the same position as you have now but centered in the rails I guess. Finally, also take into account the reach of the handlebar given that what you should be concerned with is total effective reach (reach to the hoods).
the venge spacer is 17mm and the stack and reach of sl6, venge and sl7 is exactly the same

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Received my used venge but it didn't come with grommets. I found the part number for the grommet that goes in the chainstay exit hole. The manual doesn't mention any grommet for the FD wire exit, though. Is there supposed to be one? Seems like a place for water ingress if there is no grommet

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Would someone mind looking whether their venge has a grommet where the FD Di2 wire exists the frame?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

They all do.
Attachments
882EB4D5-F085-44BD-BBBC-B4AB04CA0557.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Visus wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm

the venge spacer is 17mm and the stack and reach of sl6, venge and sl7 is exactly the same
For anyone referencing this thread for fit info, the regular Venge spacer (headset cover) is 12mm unless you are using the one for standard stems. Only that one is 17mm

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

ryanw wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 pm
They all do.
Thanks. What's the part number? The manual only lists S159900006 for the rear exit and that one looks different. No mention anywhere about a grommet for the front

Maddie

by Maddie

BigBoyND wrote:
Visus wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 pm

For anyone referencing this thread for fit info, the regular Venge spacer (headset cover) is 12mm unless you are using the one for standard stems. Only that one is 17mm
That info is incomplete. The headset cover might be 12mm but you also need an intermediate spacer between stem and headset cover. That's the one that guides your brake lines into the headtube. It measures another 5mm. So in total we are back at 17mm as it was posted before.

steamroller

by steamroller

Hi team,

I'm looking at a mint condition second hand venge, size 54. I am 178cm, cant remember my inseam length but it feels like it should be the right size. Does anyone have pointers around what I should be looking for or what questions to ask buying used? The bike looks like it's hardly been ridden, and is being sold by the LBS on behalf of a customer.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steamroller

by steamroller

johnrho wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:50 am
blind76 wrote:Which bottle cages dor sw venge carbon satin - black?

Rib cage black mat, rib cage black glossy, black elite vico carbon? Something else?
I put Enve cages on mineImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you prop your bike up to get these photos?? :)