S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scapewalker

by scapewalker

jzinckgra wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:33 pm
I'm interested in the venge. Currently ride a tcr advanced. There's only one specialized dealer that sells s works. What if I can't get a test ride? I haven't called to ask if they have one yet, but end of season, so assuming not likely. How many of you bought the venge without a test ride?
You could always try to get to test ride a venge by finding a used one on ebay or the like. That's what i did.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Visus

by Visus

scapewalker wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:09 pm
Is any1 else having problems getting the di2 to operate perfectly smooth on your venge?
I always get quite a bit of chain noise when i'm on the big ring.
Brought it to my mechanic of choice (usually sells cannondale and scott bikes) today and he said it's to be expected with the s-works cranks because they won't be as smooth as a stock dura ace crank.
Let me guess, you bought the frameset?
In which gears? if it's the lowest 3 sprockets (11t) it's probably front derailleur rub. The front derailleur mount on the venge is troublesome and often doesn't allow enough tail-in adjustement. Bring the bike to a mechanic who sells Specialized, they will know ho to fix it. It's not the S-works crank.

Bigmac

by Bigmac

jzinckgra wrote:
I'm interested in the venge. Currently ride a tcr advanced. There's only one specialized dealer that sells s works. What if I can't get a test ride? I haven't called to ask if they have one yet, but end of season, so assuming not likely. How many of you bought the venge without a test ride?
Whilst it might be nice, you probably don't need an S-Works dealer as the Venge Pro is the same framset, just not as high spec'd. It's probably more likley a dealer might have a Pro demo than and S-Works anyway. OK, so the Pro comes with Ultegra or Force AXS and CL in lieu of CLX wheels but I suspect it would be good enough for you to get the feel andmake an informed decison.

I purchased a Venge without a test ride, possibly swayed by having had the previous Venge and Vias models, for me the geometry made it an easy decision and I haven't been dissapointed. I have also had a Giant TCR Advanced SL in the past but too long ago to make any sensible comparison. To be honest I would have thought the TCR was more in line with a Tarmac and the Venge with the Propel, they are totally different rides and any decision would likley be made on the type of riding you do.

Lugan

by Lugan

jzinckgra wrote:
I bought the S-Works AXS without a test ride on that or any other Venge model. First, I know my fit in enough detail to be able to size myself on paper, and that worked out well in the end. Second, on ride characteristics I just read all the reviews I could find and have enough experience to be able to digest that and estimate what it would feel like riding it. Here too, it was as expected (and excellent in every way I care about). More generally, we're in the golden age of cycling gear IMO, and there really isn't much junk being sold, and least of all from a big company with the R&D of Specialized, so taking a leap of partially-informed faith did not feel risky to me.
Last edited by Lugan on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

jzinckgra wrote:I'm interested in the venge. Currently ride a tcr advanced. There's only one specialized dealer that sells s works. What if I can't get a test ride? I haven't called to ask if they have one yet, but end of season, so assuming not likely. How many of you bought the venge without a test ride?
I have the TCR Advanced SL and the S-Works Venge V3.
TCR running on Roval CLX 50 and Di2 with power saddle
Venge V3 running into Roval CLX Disc, Sram red AXS and power saddle too

Both are totally different breed of bike. But it is nice to have both. I used to have the S-Works Tarmac SL6 too but I sold it in favour of the TCR.

TCR is definitely a bit slower on the flat road, but have awesome acceleration and haven’t have any other carbon carbon that is as raw as TCR. Not refined for sure. Venge on the other hand is really buttery smooth. In fact it is slightly better than Tarmac SL6 overall. Climb is almost as good as Tarmac or TCR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Henryexige wrote:
jzinckgra wrote:I'm interested in the venge. Currently ride a tcr advanced. There's only one specialized dealer that sells s works. What if I can't get a test ride? I haven't called to ask if they have one yet, but end of season, so assuming not likely. How many of you bought the venge without a test ride?

Both are totally different breed of bike. But it is nice to have both. I used to have the S-Works Tarmac SL6 too but I sold it in favour of the TCR.

TCR is definitely a bit slower on the flat road, but have awesome acceleration and haven’t have any other carbon carbon that is as raw as TCR. Not refined for sure. Venge on the other hand is really buttery smooth. In fact it is slightly better than Tarmac SL6 overall. Climb is almost as good as Tarmac or TCR.

Interesting and good to know about the tarmac as I was looking into that as well, but figured that was closer to the TCR so why get another bike similar to what I have. I've been considering the venge, Madone or possibly the new Propel. Price wise, the propel is significantly less costly then the Madone or Venge.

Henryexige

by Henryexige

jzinckgra wrote:
Henryexige wrote:

Interesting and good to know about the tarmac as I was looking into that as well, but figured that was closer to the TCR so why get another bike similar to what I have. I've been considering the venge, Madone or possibly the new Propel. Price wise, the propel is significantly less costly then the Madone or Venge.
I had the Madone SLR disc and traded in for the Venge V3 due to the irritating IsoSpeed coupler bolt keep loosing after a few rides. One of my shortest lifespan super bike in my garage. Tested the propel and sad to say, no where near the Madone SLR or Venge v3.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Henryexige wrote:
jzinckgra wrote:
Henryexige wrote:

I had the Madone SLR disc and traded in for the Venge V3 due to the irritating IsoSpeed coupler bolt keep loosing after a few rides. One of my shortest lifespan super bike in my garage. Tested the propel and sad to say, no where near the Madone SLR or Venge v3.

Which model year propel? I see the 2020s online but not sure if there were any updates. Good to know about the Madone. Seems like a long term maintenance headache too.
Any thoughts on campagnolo concept? I'm a campy guy and was looking at this model too

Henryexige

by Henryexige

jzinckgra wrote:
Henryexige wrote:
jzinckgra wrote:
Henryexige wrote: I have the TCR Advanced SL and the S-Works Venge V3.

Which model year propel? I see the 2020s online but not sure if there were any updates. Good to know about the Madone. Seems like a long term maintenance headache too.
Any thoughts on campagnolo concept? I'm a campy guy and was looking at this model too
Propel 2019 disc, the price is a super bargain on this part of the world but it not popular at all even at that price point.
U mean colnago Concept aero bike? No one seems to have it on this part of the world too. Venge is by far the most popular here, followed by Madone SLR.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Henryexige wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:44 pm

This is good to know. I have a 2019 TCR Pro 0 Disc which I really really like, and been thinking about the Venge (a lot :wink:)

I have a pair of Roval CL 40 Discs and been thinking about trying them on the TCR but is it even doable?

Also, how do you guys like the Aerofly II handlebars? I have been thinking about putting an order in but need to figure out a clean Garmin & headlight combo mount since I ride a lot early mornings. From what I read there's not much space to put a regular Garmin mount.
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Henryexige

by Henryexige

DCcyclist wrote:
Henryexige wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:44 pm

This is good to know. I have a 2019 TCR Pro 0 Disc which I really really like, and been thinking about the Venge (a lot :wink:)

I have a pair of Roval CL 40 Discs and been thinking about trying them on the TCR but is it even doable?

Also, how do you guys like the Aerofly II handlebars? I have been thinking about putting an order in but need to figure out a clean Garmin & headlight combo mount since I ride a lot early mornings. From what I read there's not much space to put a regular Garmin mount.
Roval clx40 will fit the TCR perfectly.

Aerofly II handlebar comes with barfly Mount which can hold garmin and plus a GoPro Mount adaptor. U can source for a GoPro Mount light. Voila! Clean n sweet

Bigmac

by Bigmac

The Roval CLX40 should be OK but I believe some of the earlier models were 135mm rather than 142mm so that would need checking. I'm not sure the Aerofly 11 bars come with any kind of mount, mine certainly didn't. The mount kit is a separate item for the stem, so unless you had purchased a frame, which, depending on the country, may come with the stem or not, then the kit, at least in the UK, is an additional £50.

There are some images further back in this thread of a Tarmac with a Venge stem & computer mount kit with Aerofly 11 bars - each to his own taste but having tried it myself, it wasn't for me, it was also a heavy option.

The challenge with the Aerofly 11 bars using anything other than a Venge stem is that there is little room for a regular out front mount. The bars have a small threaded insert into which the Cable Transition Kit is screwed, that then, at least on the Venge, provides the seamless aero profile. OK, so you don't have to use the kit, in which case you are left looking at the threaded inserts - there is still barely enough room to fit the thinnest out front mount. In reality, on anything other than a Venge, the original Aerofly bars are probably a far better option, if you can find any.

thaking

by thaking

Anyone have an idea how should I mount Garmin Varia UT800 on my front original Venge holder ? I would like ot have on top garmin 1000 and below Varia UT800.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

thaking wrote:Anyone have an idea how should I mount Garmin Varia UT800 on my front original Venge holder ? I would like ot have on top garmin 1000 and below Varia UT800.
Get a mount with go pro mount underneath ...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

thaking

by thaking

Well I have this mount which came with Venge...., but with original screws I can not mount it.
Attachments
file1[13142588].jpeg
file[13142557].jpeg
a.jpeg
b.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com