S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jugi

by Jugi

cjm wrote:Are specialized likely to release an expert or comp level Venge next year or will it stay with only electronic shifting at s-works and pro levels?
Sounds like an Allez Sprint.

The current Venge seems to be selling like hot cakes. I don't see a reason for Spesh to widen the lineup.

cjm

by cjm

1llum4 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:53 am
The current frame can't take mechanical derailleur cable. If a 10r/9r or Comp/Expert version is to be released, it would need another design of the heatube/stem and probably lose the fully integrated cable routing.
That's what I was thinking, the Vias Pro/Expert had less integration and exposed cabling going into the down tube but the same 11r carbon as the S-Works, just wondering if there will be a cheaper model below the current Venge Pro. There is a pretty big price gap to an Allez Sprint.

I haven't followed Specialized model releases very closely, was the current Tarmac range released in full or were the top end models released then the lower spec models followed on later?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Generally, the first release of any new model sees just an S-works release... and then, maybe 6-8 months later they release the lower versions and they usually release all of those at once... pro, expert, comp, elite, sport, base model. That release eschedule has been slightly altered though with the disc brake bikes as most of them require hydro bikes and the lower end group sets that normally might be spec'd on the elite, sport and base models don't offer hydrop disc brake options. The fact that the new version ONLY accepts electronic options, I don't we'll see anything lower down the scale as it would require new molds for bikes.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Venge ViAS and new S-Works Venge don't even use FACT 11r, or they use so little of it that Specialized doesn't feel it's mentionable.

The Tarmac Disc Comp/Sport models with the round seatposts and FACT 9r carbon came out a few months after the S-Works and Pro/Expert level bikes. The rim-brake S-Works and Pro/Expert models were announced at the same time, but initial availability of anything other than an S-Works wasn't great. There isn't a Comp/Sport level rim-brake option.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:50 pm
Generally, the first release of any new model sees just an S-works release... and then, maybe 6-8 months later they release the lower versions and they usually release all of those at once... pro, expert, comp, elite, sport, base model. That release eschedule has been slightly altered though with the disc brake bikes as most of them require hydro bikes and the lower end group sets that normally might be spec'd on the elite, sport and base models don't offer hydrop disc brake options. The fact that the new version ONLY accepts electronic options, I don't we'll see anything lower down the scale as it would require new molds for bikes.

Traditionally Specialized and Trek have reused older designs for lower spec models. The SL4 is still being sold or was sold up until very recently. The Trek Emonda SL is just the old SLR with direct-mount brake bosses and OCLV 500 carbon. The SL6 Comp/Sport have round seatposts...

I think a "mech" spec Venge will show up eventually, but it won't be an S-Works/Pro level frame. There's obviously a market for a $4000-$5000 Venge currently occupied by the old Expert. I don't know if electronic shifting is an automatic inclusion in that price range yet...maybe in a few years.

cjm

by cjm

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 pm
The Venge ViAS and new S-Works Venge don't even use FACT 11r, or they use so little of it that Specialized doesn't feel it's mentionable.
I've only started looking at Specialized bikes recently but website mentions FACT 11r for the S-Works Venge?

FRAME S-Works FACT 11r carbon, Rider-First Engineered™, Win Tunnel Engineered, internal electric only cable routing, OSBB, 12x142mm thru-axle, flat-mount disc

cjm

by cjm

double post

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

He meant FACT12r, that's Spesh's top grade carbon used on the S Works SL6.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Campervan

by Campervan

The Tarmac SL6 uses fact 12
The Venge (2019) uses fact 11
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:23 pm
Traditionally Specialized and Trek have reused older designs for lower spec models. The SL4 is still being sold or was sold up until very recently. The Trek Emonda SL is just the old SLR with direct-mount brake bosses and OCLV 500 carbon. The SL6 Comp/Sport have round seatposts...

I think a "mech" spec Venge will show up eventually, but it won't be an S-Works/Pro level frame. There's obviously a market for a $4000-$5000 Venge currently occupied by the old Expert. I don't know if electronic shifting is an automatic inclusion in that price range yet...maybe in a few years.
I don't understand what you're arguing.. they already have what you're suggesting, the Venge ViAS expert.

taodemon

by taodemon

I think they are just wondering when a lower specced "new" venge is going to release if ever. The ViAS is a heavier frame which probably didn't help its sales. Granted it might have to do with me being in new england but I've only seen a single ViAS in the wild (white expert) since it released, and while it is still early for the new one I haven't seen any of those either. Aero doesn't seem to be a high priority for people around here (not going to complain about that :wink: ).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ryanw wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 pm
He meant FACT12r, that's Spesh's top grade carbon used on the S Works SL6.

Er, yeah. Forget that...tough to keep track. Though I guess it does mean there's a very remote possibility of a mid-cycle update to the frame with a 12r lay-up schedule.
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:21 pm

I don't understand what you're arguing.. they already have what you're suggesting, the Venge ViAS expert.

I'm saying the Venge "ViAS" Expert should be replaced with a 10r current Venge with mechanical cable ports. The previous Venge ViAS frame also came in mechanical and electronic-only versions, so I don't think the additional mold issue is dealbreaker.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 pm
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:21 pm

I'm saying the Venge "ViAS" Expert should be replaced with a 10r current Venge with mechanical cable ports. The previous Venge ViAS frame also came in mechanical and electronic-only versions, so I don't think the additional mold issue is dealbreaker.
That's not true though... the ViAS frame was both mechanical and electronic. The new Venge was designed to be electronic only or at least as it is currently offered.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:38 pm

That's not true though... the ViAS frame was both mechanical and electronic. The new Venge was designed to be electronic only or at least as it is currently offered.
What’s not true?

I’m saying there is a version of the ViAS frame missing the cable ports. It was primarily sold as a full bike, but you could also request it as a frameset. Specialized is clearly willing to make minor changes to the basic design of their frames to suit the market...see the SL6 Comp/Sport frame for example.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

If they make a comp model I hope they offer internal routing, at least for electric. Cannondale has hi-mod syssix with internal for electric, and an identical syssix for mech that is run externally.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com