S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

thaking

by thaking

thaking wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:19 pm
Can anyone please measure on Venge 2019 (shimano) distance between end of crank and chain @52-11 (front / rear) gears?

I measured approx 1.2mm which I think is not enough, chain also damaged my crank due that.

On service they told me that on last year Venges (i.e. 2018...) distance should be ~5mm and on new Venge 2019-2020 it's ok if it's approx 2mm ?!?
Anyone ? :beerchug: :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scapewalker

by scapewalker

thaking wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:54 pm
thaking wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:19 pm
Can anyone please measure on Venge 2019 (shimano) distance between end of crank and chain @52-11 (front / rear) gears?

I measured approx 1.2mm which I think is not enough, chain also damaged my crank due that.

On service they told me that on last year Venges (i.e. 2018...) distance should be ~5mm and on new Venge 2019-2020 it's ok if it's approx 2mm ?!?
Anyone ? :beerchug: :beerchug:
Not the case with mine i guess.
Attachments
20191024_193411.jpg

thaking

by thaking

Do you have on rear "smaller ring" and in front "big ring" ? Is that S-Works Venge 2019 with Shimano ?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

thaking wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:38 pm
Do you have on rear "smaller ring" and in front "big ring" ? Is that S-Works Venge 2019 with Shimano ?

His chain is clearly in the small chainring, which doesn't help troubleshoot your issue. I understand what you're saying. With the outermost possible chainline (big ring + smallest sprocket) your chain doesn't or barely clears the end of the DS crank on the "back half" of the pedal stroke. This used to be a problem for people who had Garmin Vector 1/2 pedals. The pod connectors would stick out and hit the chain...You may be able to add a thin spacer to your crank spindles, though that will modify your chainlines and stance-width.

thaking

by thaking

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:55 am
thaking wrote:

His chain is clearly in the small chainring, which doesn't help troubleshoot your issue. I understand what you're saying. With the outermost possible chainline (big ring + smallest sprocket) your chain doesn't or barely clears the end of the DS crank on the "back half" of the pedal stroke. This used to be a problem for people who had Garmin Vector 1/2 pedals. The pod connectors would stick out and hit the chain...You may be able to add a thin spacer to your crank spindles, though that will modify your chainlines and stance-width.
No no, as you can see from pictures "Garmin Vector" has nothing to do with that.

It's only crank vs. chain distance, I can also remove pedals and it will be the same... If Anyone could make similar picture it will help me a lot.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

thaking wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:36 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
thaking wrote:

No no, as you can see from pictures "Garmin Vector" has nothing to do with that.

It's only crank vs. chain distance, I can also remove pedals and it will be the same... If Anyone could make similar picture it will help me a lot.

No, I understand. I’m just saying that cranks that otherwise cleared the chain ran into similar problems on certain bikes. The solution is still the same...widen the stand-with of the cranks with spacers.

thaking

by thaking

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:40 am
thaking wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:36 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
thaking wrote:

No, I understand. I’m just saying that cranks that otherwise cleared the chain ran into similar problems on certain bikes. The solution is still the same...widen the stand-with of the cranks with spacers.
Yes I get your point, but Specialized shop told me this is fine and ok -> no reclamation needed :roll: :roll:

ds240

by ds240

Pushed the button on a Venge.

Looked best all rounder option in my opinion.

What weights are you generally coming in at with pedals and computer. I’ve switched to tubeless also. Ready to ride weight basically. I’ve come in at 7.70kg on my scales.

Was slightly surprised at that. But brief rides so far, it feels good.
Attachments
4BCCD730-7FEA-4A0B-BE37-5EAB6DB65E37.jpeg

thaking

by thaking

ds240 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:29 pm

What weights are you generally coming in at with pedals and computer. I’ve switched to tubeless also. Ready to ride weight basically. I’ve come in at 7.70kg on my scales.

Nice, could you please measure/take a picture the distance between crank and chain (put in the front to bigger ring and in rear into smallest ring).

scapewalker

by scapewalker

ds240 wrote:

Did you weigh your frame? I reckon the white paint job might also be ~200g heavier than the matt black one.

ds240

by ds240

scapewalker wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:49 pm
ds240 wrote:

Did you weigh your frame? I reckon the white paint job might also be ~200g heavier than the matt black one.
I didn’t think of that and the frame wasn’t weighed separately. On the plus side, I’m not personally a fan of matt paint finish and the silver/white metallic really shows off the frame nicely.

For what it is, weight on the road, it’s still pretty good I think. Especially next to some of the other bikes in the category which were 8.3kg+ without pedals or road ready.

The headline launch weight of 7.19kg was presumably also without pedals and accessories?

I kind of hoped it would come in around 7.5.... however I have far more weight to lose and training mileage to do than worrying about 100 grams here and there from the bike!!

ksavostin

by ksavostin

ds240 wrote:

Have you tried to weight it without pedals and computer? 7.7 seems a bit high.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

ds240 wrote:

big bike.. CLX64s... yeah its not gonna be 7.1 with those... no way.

7.7 is not bad like that.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

ds240

by ds240

ksavostin wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:15 am
ds240 wrote:

Have you tried to weight it without pedals and computer? 7.7 seems a bit high.
Without those it will be around 7.45 at a guess. Will see later on. Pedals are meant to be 110g each.

If it wasn’t part of the build I would probably have specced the CLX50s instead of 64s. That would save a good 250-300g and much less likely to be affected by the wind.

It’s only a bit more than my older rim brake, non aero bike on shallower rims, so not too bad for what you get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lugan

by Lugan

I posted a photo of my new white 58cm Venge with Red AXS several weeks ago, and it weighs 7.8 kg including pedals and a few bolt-on accessories: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151928&p=1519220#p1519220