S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

wingguy wrote:
ichobi wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:47 pm
Sagan or Gaviria will get a win on it in TDF. That's the script. At least they need to that curb whatever left of ViAS's notorious reputation.
That doesn't really make sense. I'm no fan of the Vias but it's got plenty of TdF and other GT wins under its belt. Not to mention a World Champs.
To be fair, Vias rode great. I really enjoyed riding it (test ride), but the polarising look, the weight, the full integration, and the brake issues didn’t fare well in the actual market despite some good wt wins from key riders.

At least where I live it quickly became dead stock. Compared to Venge 1st generation I would say Vias is a failure. It’s sold much much much less here in Asia. LBs refused to stock it. Here in Bangkok where you can spot a Pinarello F10 in every group ride, Vias is non existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Has anyone heard anything about a possible rim version, or has the big S put the hammer down and this is the way it its gonna be? Sad if it is... I like the frame, can't justify starting all over on wheelsets for the prairies...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Sooner or later disc will dominate. I've ditched so much gear this year before the value nose dived.

In saying that I've still got 4 rim brake sets + an Airhub for the Allez and TT bike.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Datmo

by Datmo

ParisCarbon wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:59 am
Has anyone heard anything about a possible rim version, or has the big S put the hammer down and this is the way it its gonna be? Sad if it is... I like the frame, can't justify starting all over on wheelsets for the prairies...
”We are going to stop selling full rim-brake road bikes, and will only sell them as framesets,” says Specialized PR spokesman Sean Estes.”

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... int-51685/

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I knew that was out there.. will there even be a rim option at all though! I will never buy a complete bike rim or disc bike .. always something to change on it..

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Road riders tend to be technically savvy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I kinda hope this really bites them... Most, like all really, of the proper roadies are know say they’d refuse to buy one, TBF what I tend to see is people that are fairly new to it wanting discs. I defo don’t want them on a Sunday best bike and certainly don’t want them on my race bike either.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Monkeyfudger wrote:

I kinda hope this really bites them... Most, like all really, of the proper roadies are know say they’d refuse to buy one, TBF what I tend to see is people that are fairly new to it wanting discs. I defo don’t want them on a Sunday best bike and certainly don’t want them on my race bike either.
True enough.

Where I ride in Australia I am yet to see a quality racer use a disc brake bike. Lots of timid slow old guys with money to burn but no fast riders or racers. Besides they look like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a hater, not yet, I have a winter bike with discs, obsolete now thanks to bolt thru and flat mount but that’s what makes me wary. As long as there continues to be a true choice of high end gear I’m ok with it but we seen how quickly “they” killed off 26” MTB gear, sure the argueists will tell you stuff is still available but it’s not really. I hope rim brakes aren’t forced the same way.

dcorn

by dcorn

I think there is already a thread where you guys can talk about how stupid disc brakes are and how no good cyclist will ever use them.

Since all the pro riders on this new Venge, including Sagan, are actually racing on disc brakes, I'm betting there is no way this thing comes out with a rim brake model. Time to find another bike to buy.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

You must be a riot at parties...

BrianR

by BrianR

Monkeyfudger wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:29 pm

You hear and see what you want to see. Nice anecdotal story though!

MiddMan

by MiddMan

I can accept aero bikes, and I can also get behind concessions for time trial bikes etc... but some aero bars are just blasphemous. You’re right, it would seem to push your elbows and body out which defeats the purpose. Greg LeMond ‘89 was right about narrow profile!
MRM wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:47 pm
Does anyone know why the bars are angled at the tops the way they are? Would seem to cause your elbows to move outwards away from the body when riding in the tops and be both aesthetically as well as aerodynamically worse. I'd guess it's more aero in the hoods and drops, but maybe someone has more info or an idea.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I spoke with the owner of my LBS last night... he was out in Boulder, CO for an event centered around the new Venge and he said the bike was great. He's currently on a Sagan WC SL6 Tarmac and Sagan WC edition Roubaix and he said the bike felt just as comfortable as the Tarmac, accelerated really nicely and was super fast at speed. His feeling was that it would be much more climb friendly than the ViAS was (similar to the 1st gen. Venge), still very aero, but easier to work on the ViAS was.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

BrianR wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:40 pm

You hear and see what you want to see. Nice anecdotal story though!
:D I can only see what I see, if I seen what I wanted to see I’d find the world way moar awesome!

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

MiddMan wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 pm
I can accept aero bikes, and I can also get behind concessions for time trial bikes etc... but some aero bars are just blasphemous. You’re right, it would seem to push your elbows and body out which defeats the purpose. Greg LeMond ‘89 was right about narrow profile!
MRM wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:47 pm
Does anyone know why the bars are angled at the tops the way they are? Would seem to cause your elbows to move outwards away from the body when riding in the tops and be both aesthetically as well as aerodynamically worse. I'd guess it's more aero in the hoods and drops, but maybe someone has more info or an idea.
I really think you guys are blowing this out of proportion. I think this "extreme" angle you think you're seeing is really just an optical illusion that is caused by the angl of the photography and the fact that the rear side of the bar angles so that they narrow to the lever area. I just went down and checked the aerofly bars on my 1st gen. Venge and they appear to show the same optical illusion when viewed from the angle in the photograph. If you look at the bars from the side profile, directly from the side, there is a slight angle, but its probably less than 1cm. Additionally, this angle doesn't actually kick the elbows out if your bars arc correctly sized. If they are correctly sized, then the hoods should roughly be at the width of your shoulders which would mean that if you had your hands on the flats, then you'd want some angle for them to feel right because they'd be in narrower than your shoulders. Finally, if you're riding with your hands on this part of the bar, you're doing so for comfort, not speed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com