S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

taodemon

by taodemon

Oh, you mean the second venge (ViAS), not the first. Yeah, those didn’t seem like the best idea, along with the extra weight the ViAS had in general I think turned off a lot of people that might have otherwise liked the bike. It would be one thing if that was the only way to build a bike that aero but the madone released the same year kind of proved you could have a bike just as aero, without the weight penalty and at least aesthetically better brakes.

Though if you are to believe their marketing the bike was always meant to be disc and the rim version was an after thought when the UCI put a hold on the whole disc thing. Looking at the issues with the design it does seem somewhat plausible.
Last edited by taodemon on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, sorry... I was referring to the Vias. And while I like the looks of the Madone more than the Venge, it is not without its own “setup” issues for sure. The little trap doors for the brakes were cute, if you’re into that sort of thing.

And seriously?... they’re now saying that the Venge was always meant to be disc, but was put on hold due to the UCI ban on discs? Hmmm... nice story, after the fact. I don’t remember them saying that before. Did they? Or is this a recent concoction that is only now being “released to the public”. I haven’t been following their marking drivel for this very reason.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

taodemon

by taodemon

I think there are going to be setup issues with most dedicated aero bikes going forward with all the integrated/hidden cables that seem to be the trend. In general though I think the madone was better thought out and had more elegant solutions to some of the same issues compared to the ViAS and it (H1) reminded me of the first venge which I liked. There is still about a $1000+ premium for a madone though which keeps me away. But with the new venge it is very possible specialized hikes its price back up to ViAS release prices which would also keep me away. :? I’m also not quite ready to make the jump to disc so there is a strong possibility if I want an aero rim brake bike I’ll have to settle for the SL6.

When the disc version was released I saw that written on one of the bike news sites (bike radar maybe).

Make that a cycling tips review, but it typically gets mentioned in most reviews of the disc version.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

What I think is funny in the whole Venge disc brake equation is all the guys are on it cause its "new" right now, but notice how 80% of the riders before were riding the rim brake Tarmac... I think that says something when given the choice... obviously Spec wants the newest pushed for publicity and thats obviously worked (we're all here debating it) Maybe theres a rim brake model hiding that just isn't out yet... Im sure we'll know come tour time...

wrenegade

by wrenegade

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 pm
Yes, sorry... I was referring to the Vias. And while I like the looks of the Madone more than the Venge, it is not without its own “setup” issues for sure. The little trap doors for the brakes were cute, if you’re into that sort of thing.

And seriously?... they’re now saying that the Venge was always meant to be disc, but was put on hold due to the UCI ban on discs? Hmmm... nice story, after the fact. I don’t remember them saying that before. Did they? Or is this a recent concoction that is only now being “released to the public”. I haven’t been following their marking drivel for this very reason.
I'm pretty sure they did say this at the time. It's certainly not the first time it's been brought up here on WW, though not sure if it surfaced immediately following the introduction of the ViAS, or a couple weeks/months later. But the original ViAS is almost 3 years old now, at least since it's introduction to the pro peloton.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm, ok. I have no reason to doubt you except I can’t remember anything like that being said around the Vias’s release. But could very well be that I was only interested in it from a “is this what someone might bring me to work on” perspective. I do try to keep up. I guess that’s why I get so tired of the ever changing marketing spiel.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

"As it turns out, the standard Venge ViAS’s rim brakes come across like afterthoughts because, in some ways, that’s how they came to be. According to Specialized aerodynamicist Chris Yu, it was the disc-equipped Venge ViAS that the company started developing first, not the other way around."

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/08/what-th ... oad-bikes/

taodemon

by taodemon

Sagan was on a disc version for his win yesterday which probably guarantees there will not be a rim version of the new venge which is disappointing. I’ll probably end up going with a tarmac SL6 for my aero fix without the weight penalty.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Taodemon... I was just going to say that Sagan won the disc version yesterday and he was on it again today.

taodemon

by taodemon

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:14 pm
Taodemon... I was just going to say that Sagan won the disc version yesterday and he was on it again today.
I’ll probably wait until they release specs and marketing mumbo jumbo before final decision to see if it’s enough to get me to jump on the disc bandwagon but it would have to be unusually impressive marketing mumbo jumbo for that.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I doubt there is going to be a rimbrake model unfortuneatly... Notice when they jump back on the Tarmac 90% of them are on rimbrake...

dcorn

by dcorn

taodemon wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 pm
I’ll probably wait until they release specs and marketing mumbo jumbo before final decision to see if it’s enough to get me to jump on the disc bandwagon but it would have to be unusually impressive marketing mumbo jumbo for that.
What marketing crap are you waiting for? We know disc brakes are just as fast as rim brakes, but stop better. The new Venge looks like they took the SL6 and made the tubes deeper for better aero. Hopefully it'll be a good bit lighter than the Vias.

taodemon

by taodemon

dcorn wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:18 pm
taodemon wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 pm
What marketing crap are you waiting for? We know disc brakes are just as fast as rim brakes, but stop better. The new Venge looks like they took the SL6 and made the tubes deeper for better aero. Hopefully it'll be a good bit lighter than the Vias.
Mainly how much faster/lighter than the SL6/ViAS it is to see if its worth doing a whole bike with the added disc weight/price vs just moving my existing components to a rim tarmac sl6 frame. The added weight of the ViAS made it not worth it with all the new england hills despite how aero it was even compared to my current non aero SL5 frame. I do miss the aero of my original venge and the sl6 is a nice combination of both worlds. I have no actual need of disc brakes so that really isn’t a selling point for me. I’m not opposed to them but the non braking pros have to greatly outweigh the complete lack of necessity I personally have for them.

MRM

by MRM

Does anyone know why the bars are angled at the tops the way they are? Would seem to cause your elbows to move outwards away from the body when riding in the tops and be both aesthetically as well as aerodynamically worse. I'd guess it's more aero in the hoods and drops, but maybe someone has more info or an idea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

dcorn wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:18 pm
What marketing crap are you waiting for? We know disc brakes are just as fast as rim brakes, but stop better.
And disc for the same price is quite heavier, for the same weight quite more expensive... Technically the differences are between "very good" and "good".

The times with destroyed carbon clinchers for rim brakes are gone with the new textured brake tracks.

If you live in the mountains and ride a lot in the rain, maybe disc has an advantage - but in the flats and for the 99% nice weather riders, it doesn't give any. :noidea: