S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sthompson

by sthompson

taodemon wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm
Other than the recessed area for the tape and textured flat portion of the bar is there much difference between the original Aerofly and the Aerofly II? As in weight or aero time savings?
Yes, it's better everywhere! :lol:
-lighter (235g vs 265g)
-faster (~4 seconds over 40km)
-much stiffer, particularly compared to the 25mm rise Aerofly from the ViAS

yftoad

by yftoad

sthompson wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:56 pm
taodemon wrote:
Other than the recessed area for the tape and textured flat portion of the bar is there much difference between the original Aerofly and the Aerofly II? As in weight or aero time savings?
-lighter (235g vs 265g)
Given that the cables aren't internally routed but are tucked away against the stem, is it easier to travel with this new Venge and Aerofly II than the ViAS? Is removing the bars & stem from the bike (but remaining connected via cabling) for packing/shipping fairly easy and doable with cable length, etc? Thanks for being on here and responding!
Last edited by yftoad on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mirco

by Mirco

Hi,

I am currently on the S-Works Venge Vias Disc Sagan Superstar and locking for the new S-Works Venge. Concerning the geo-specs the 56er Venge Vias stack is 564mm and I am using 25mm spacer including the headset top cap.

The new Venge geo-specs are different. The 56er Frameset has an stack of 555mm. So I may need 34mm spacer including the headset top cap. What is the hight of the headset top cap of the new Venge 15mm?

regards

Mirco

taodemon

by taodemon

sthompson wrote:
taodemon wrote:
-lighter (235g vs 265g)
Good to know. I currently have the flat aerofly (pre ViAS days) and have some more pressing upgrades like wheels but that is definitely something to keep in mind for down the line.

sthompson

by sthompson

yftoad wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:14 pm
Given that the cables aren't internally routed but are tucked away against the stem, is it easier to travel with this new Venge and Aerofly II than the ViAS? Is removing the bars & stem from the bike (but remaining connected via cabling) for packing/shipping fairly easy and doable with cable length, etc? Thanks for being on here and responding!
Yes, for sure!
The best option is probably to pull the bar off the stem, disconnect the cable bat under the stem, turn the fork/stem 90 degrees, and then you can secure the bars to the toptube. If you want even more cable slack and you have some of the intermediate spacers in there, you can pull those out and get another few cm of housing freed up.

dvq

by dvq

sthompson wrote:
taodemon wrote:
-lighter (235g vs 265g)
Are you saying that the 6s faster over 40km for the Venge over the Venge Vias is mostly due to just the bar?

sthompson

by sthompson

Mirco wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:20 pm
Hi,

I am currently on the S-Works Venge Vias Disc Sagan Superstar and locking for the new S-Works Venge. Concerning the geo-specs the 56er Venge Vias stack is 564mm and I am using 25mm spacer including the headset top cap.

The new Venge geo-specs are different. The 56er Frameset has an stack of 555mm. So I may need 34mm spacer including the headset top cap. What is the hight of the headset top cap of the new Venge 15mm?

regards

Mirco
Yes, pretty much spot on! Even though the stack and reach numbers of the Venge ViAS and new Venge differ a bit, the functional fit is exactly the same when you factor in the 18mm top cap from the new Venge (ViAS cap was ~8mm). You'd use roughly 35mm of spacers above the HT to get the same fit as before. (This is assuming you're using the ViAS stem and 25mm rise bar on the ViAS).

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Some nice closeups of Quickstep bikes at TDF http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/gallery click on the tdf bike gallery

AJS914

by AJS914

Gaviria is practically the only guy in the pro peloton with black shoes!

TonyM

by TonyM

AJS914 wrote:Gaviria is practically the only guy in the pro peloton with black shoes!

—> 2018 Pro thread Image

Mirco

by Mirco

[/quote]

Yes, pretty much spot on! Even though the stack and reach numbers of the Venge ViAS and new Venge differ a bit, the functional fit is exactly the same when you factor in the 18mm top cap from the new Venge (ViAS cap was ~8mm). You'd use roughly 35mm of spacers above the HT to get the same fit as before. (This is assuming you're using the ViAS stem and 25mm rise bar on the ViAS).
[/quote]

Thx, I assumed the new Venge has this 18mm top cap. So I use the Vision Metron 5d Stem/Bar on the Venge Vias Disc and managed to use the Vision Metron spacer (15mm) together with the 10mm top cap of the Vias Frameset.

So 18mm top cap for the new Venge sounds good and concidering the 5mm spacer direct below the new Venge stem I just need 10-12mm spacer in between to get the identical fit.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

How does the new Aerofly affect reach? Should I size down stem length to keep fit the same with an SL6?

sthompson

by sthompson

anykarthik wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm
How does the new Aerofly affect reach? Should I size down stem length to keep fit the same with an SL6?
It's hard to say for sure without knowing what bar you're using on the SL6, how it's rotated, and how the hoods are positioned on there.

Anyway, the Aerofly II reach is 80mm. This is 5mm longer than the bar that comes stock on a Tarmac (if that's what you're using).

FWIW, I use the stock S-Works SL bar on the Tarmac and Aerofly II on the Venge. I use the same stem length on both bikes but with an extra 5mm spacer on the Venge. This puts me 5mm taller and 5mm longer in the hoods on the Venge but my drops end up in the same place on both bikes.

sthompson

by sthompson

dvq wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:18 pm
Are you saying that the 6s faster over 40km for the Venge over the Venge Vias is mostly due to just the bar?
Depends on how you look at it.

When we test the old Aerofly vs Aerofly II on a Tarmac, the difference is about 4 seconds.

But the new Venge cockpit (bar+stem+cable routing+spacers) is roughly equivalent to the ViAS cockpit with the 25mm rise bar. So in that sense, we would say the 8 second improvement came from the chassis (frame/fork/post).

TonyM

by TonyM

Kermithimself wrote:
It has nothing to due with population, but with market. There's a lot of people living in Russia compared to Belgium, but the market for bikes is greater in Belgium.
Not only the market size for bikes in general.....but more specifically the market demand for this brand/ model!

To me Spezialized either does not evaluate correctly the demand in terms of quantity for their S-Works Tarmac or Venge in Canada or just doesn’t care.

I know quite a few riders who could not get a S-Works Tarmac in the last months and then bought a Trek Emonda project One as the Trek were available. Some others that I know definitely want the new S-Works Venge but if it is not really available they will buy the Trek New Madone if the New Madone is available.

I just wanted to give some hints to the PM of Spezialized for the Venge. At the end it is the decision of the senior Management of Spezialized to decide which markets they prioritize.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com