S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

@sthompson Really appreciate you coming out to answer our questions. Finally, I don't find any information regarding SRM mount on the new Aerofly II bar. I assume Specialized is not making one?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

endershan

by endershan

sthompson wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:06 pm

1. Yes, the stem comes with the framesets in the size noted on the geo chart. (Handlebars do not come with the frame.)
2. The direct mount hanger is available as a service part and doesn't come with the bikes this year. The part # for that is S182600003.
3. Yes, routing instructions are in the owner's manual that comes with the bikes/frames (excerpt below).
Thank you!

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 am
To me Spezialized either does not evaluate correctly the demand in terms of quantity for their S-Works Tarmac or Venge in Canada or just doesn’t care.

I know quite a few riders who could not get a S-Works Tarmac in the last months and then bought a Trek Emonda project One as the Trek were available. Some others that I know definitely want the new S-Works Venge but if it is not really available they will buy the Trek New Madone if the New Madone is available.

I just wanted to give some hints to the PM of Spezialized for the Venge. At the end it is the decision of the senior Management of Spezialized to decide which markets they prioritize.
I know the feeling. If Specialized stops making rim brakes, and others continue to do so, my next bike won't be a Specialized. Of course if it's a common understanding among the manufacturers that rim brakes will be discontinued it'll be a different situation, but until that happens I'll stick to using rim brakes.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

TonyM

by TonyM

Kermithimself wrote: I know the feeling. If Specialized stops making rim brakes, and others continue to do so, my next bike won't be a Specialized. Of course if it's a common understanding among the manufacturers that rim brakes will be discontinued it'll be a different situation, but until that happens I'll stick to using rim brakes.
AFAIK the new Madone is also available in rim brake, right?

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Yes, the new Madone is rim brake as well. So is the new Ridley Noah Fast. Will be quite interesting to see if other brands will do as BMC, Specialized and Cannondale, and only offer disc brake versions of their top bikes.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

TonyM

by TonyM

BMC has the SLR01 in rim also.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Simple solution for all this would to just let Spec Canada and USA become Spec North America with set pricing... seriously.. I called Canada referencing the stem part numbers as I am looking at the Black Venge, told him I wanted the 12, had no idea what I was talking about.. same with the Aerofly 2 bars, no idea..I Dont feel like driving 8 hours to get a stem at the closest US retailer because Canada won't stock, or just doesn't get the parts... If Im gonna drive I might as well suck it up and pay the $1500 for the Sagan Venge frame as well...

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

ichobi wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:52 am
@sthompson Really appreciate you coming out to answer our questions. Finally, I don't find any information regarding SRM mount on the new Aerofly II bar. I assume Specialized is not making one?
I don't think they ever did.. SRM DOES make a mount though specific to the Venge stem... its on the USA site and goes for $80 or something ridiculous...

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

sthompson wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 am
anykarthik wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm
How does the new Aerofly affect reach? Should I size down stem length to keep fit the same with an SL6?
It's hard to say for sure without knowing what bar you're using on the SL6, how it's rotated, and how the hoods are positioned on there.

Anyway, the Aerofly II reach is 80mm. This is 5mm longer than the bar that comes stock on a Tarmac (if that's what you're using).

FWIW, I use the stock S-Works SL bar on the Tarmac and Aerofly II on the Venge. I use the same stem length on both bikes but with an extra 5mm spacer on the Venge. This puts me 5mm taller and 5mm longer in the hoods on the Venge but my drops end up in the same place on both bikes.
Lots of interest in using the Aerofly 2 with the Tarmac SL6 and, based on your prior response, no need to use the Venge stem.

I think the question was trying to get at how much the forward sweep of Aerofly 2 impacted reach versus a zero sweep bar like the S-Works SL bar. Sounds like, in your case, the 5mm spacer brings back the bars enough (1-2mm?) to negate the impact of the sweep, with only the spec'd reach difference between 75mm and 80mm impacting the reach.

Does the computer mount attach to the Venge stem? If so and you do not use the Venge stem, is there room on the Aerofly 2, assuming a "normal" stem clamping width like the S-Works stem, for a K-Edge computer mount that attaches to the bar or would an out front stem mount be needed? I assume those triangle shaped pieces would not be used if you are not using the Venge stem, but still does not look like much room for a normal K-Edge out front mount that attaches to the bar. Appreciate all the responses-sure you will go back to just lurking soon! Back to Venge specific questions..

pyrahna

by pyrahna

sthompson wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:27 pm

S-Works Aerofly II Handlebars:
  • 21019-0138 Sw Carbon Aerofly Ii Rd Bar Blk/Char 31.8x38
    21019-0140 Sw Carbon Aerofly Ii Rd Bar Blk/Char 31.8x40
    21019-0142 Sw Carbon Aerofly Ii Rd Bar Blk/Char 31.8x42
    21019-0144 Sw Carbon Aerofly Ii Rd Bar Blk/Char 31.8x44
Thanks for making the 38 wide bar. I keep wanting to try a narrower bar and this gives me the option!

ScottinFL

by ScottinFL

ParisCarbon wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:38 pm
Simple solution for all this would to just let Spec Canada and USA become Spec North America with set pricing... seriously.. I called Canada referencing the stem part numbers as I am looking at the Black Venge, told him I wanted the 12, had no idea what I was talking about.. same with the Aerofly 2 bars, no idea..I Dont feel like driving 8 hours to get a stem at the closest US retailer because Canada won't stock, or just doesn't get the parts... If Im gonna drive I might as well suck it up and pay the $1500 for the Sagan Venge frame as well...
It seems the solution will come when supply improves. Releasing the bike to coincide with TDF is terrific for driving interest and juicing demand, but creates a difficult situation if you need to purchase something right now. The first buyers always pay the most, get the least amount of choices, and often have to wait excessively to receive the product. Give it a few months and I think you'll see many of those issues dissipate significantly.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

ScottinFL wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:42 pm
ParisCarbon wrote:
It seems the solution will come when supply improves. Releasing the bike to coincide with TDF is terrific for driving interest and juicing demand, but creates a difficult situation if you need to purchase something right now. The first buyers always pay the most, get the least amount of choices, and often have to wait excessively to receive the product. Give it a few months and I think you'll see many of those issues dissipate significantly.
Canada is pretty low on the priorty list.. I went through the exact same thing trying to get a Tarmac rim SL6... Very limited amounts of my size were supplied to Canada, and the only one that was recently made available was a raspberry color... i ordered mine through the states and drove 4 hrs each way...

KevinM

by KevinM

LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 pm
KevinM wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:25 pm
With that rainbow hologram logo on the Pro, I doubt anyone will notice the black frame

In case you haven’t seen it in person, the gray frame is matte. Kind of reminds me of the finish of gym equipmet. Not saying that’s good or bad, just an FYI.
Is the hologram that bad? LBS is going to call me when they build up a tarmac pro because I am on the fence about the “look.”
Up to you to decide what works for you. For me personally, this was a deal breaker and I sent it back.

TonyM

by TonyM

ScottinFL wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:
Either they cannot plan correctly the production depending on the Marketing needs or they do it intentionally. For example some companies are trying to get the buzz by making their product hard to get. So people will be ready to pay the full price etc....look at Apple.

The problem is that it is borderline as soon as the competitors have a good availability. This is the case for example for the main competitors of Spezialized, Trek and Giant. Both brands have their models always available and they do get some customers from Spezialized. I know a few here in Canada that have opted then for a Trek Emonda or Madone which were, even as a Project One, very soon available.

And you know the business rule that once you lost a customer the energy to spend to get it back is quite high....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

TonyM wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:04 pm
ScottinFL wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:
Either they cannot plan correctly the production depending on the Marketing needs or they do it intentionally. For example some companies are trying to get the buzz by making their product hard to get. So people will be ready to pay the full price etc....look at Apple.

The problem is that it is borderline as soon as the competitors have a good availability. This is the case for example for the main competitors of Spezialized, Trek and Giant. Both brands have their models always available and they do get some customers from Spezialized. I know a few here in Canada that have opted then for a Trek Emonda or Madone which were, even as a Project One, very soon available.

And you know the business rule that once you lost a customer the energy to spend to get it back is quite high....
Yep... even if I decide to pull the trigger on the black frameset , I won't have it until Mid November.. I'll be XC skiing by then hopefully and wont even be on it til late April.. only advantage of that late of arrival is that it will let me toss a few more bucks a month away towards it, and maybe by then Campagnolo EPS 12 or Dura Ace 9200 has some kind of projected release.. Im looking at it as no point in going 11 at this point.. might as well jump in head first!