S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

alfus1 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 am
robeambro wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:31 am
Out of curiosity, is there any of you Venge owners who lives in an area with crappy weather for a good part of the year, rain and all?

What’s your thoughts on getting a Venge, if it is to be used in those conditions?
Where is the the problem? You can use every bike with sun and every bike with rain...
Oh not much, it's just that when I go to Scotland (which I visit often, and I could relocate to) which has crappy weather and roads, I see 99% of cyclists on old bikes with alloy rims. And I don't know how smart would it be to have 50mm carbon wheels for example. And I don't really want to ride a Venge with a shallow box section alloy rim.. :D

Stueys

by Stueys

robeambro wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 am
alfus1 wrote:
robeambro wrote:
Out of curiosity, is there any of you Venge owners who lives in an area with crappy weather for a good part of the year, rain and all?

What’s your thoughts on getting a Venge, if it is to be used in those conditions?
Where is the the problem? You can use every bike with sun and every bike with rain...
Oh not much, it's just that when I go to Scotland (which I visit often, and I could relocate to) which has crappy weather and roads, I see 99% of cyclists on old bikes with alloy rims. And I don't know how smart would it be to have 50mm carbon wheels for example. And I don't really want to ride a Venge with a shallow box section alloy rim.. :D
Probably so they aren't breaking on carbon rims in the wet. You'll have discs....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Stueys wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 am
robeambro wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 am
alfus1 wrote:
robeambro wrote:

Probably so they aren't breaking on carbon rims in the wet. You'll have discs....
Makes sense. I feel a bit better now :mrgreen:

whatleytom

by whatleytom

Been riding mine in most conditions since November here in the UK, no issues except for having to clean it often. That said this winter has been reasonably mild so far.

hyvent

by hyvent

edit: irrelevant comment on topic

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Venge owners -- Anyone else experiencing front brake rotor rub?

Every time I stand out of the saddle and rock the bike side to side (when on a climb, for example), the front rotor rubs. I can only assume this is due to fork flex? There isn't any rub when in the saddle and motoring along. Only when I stand up. Also, I think it is only when I rock on one side (drive side closer to the ground).

LeDuke

by LeDuke

anykarthik wrote:Venge owners -- Anyone else experiencing front brake rotor rub?

Every time I stand out of the saddle and rock the bike side to side (when on a climb, for example), the front rotor rubs. I can only assume this is due to fork flex? There isn't any rub when in the saddle and motoring along. Only when I stand up. Also, I think it is only when I rock on one side (drive side closer to the ground).
Think about how much fork flex you would have to have in order to get a brake pad to make contact with a rotor. At that distance from the axle, if the fork was that flexible, you’d probably be able to push the tire into the fork, too.

I’m guessing it’s a bearing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sethjs

by sethjs

anykarthik wrote:Venge owners -- Anyone else experiencing front brake rotor rub?

I definitely get this. Curious if others do too!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sethjs wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:08 am

occasionally ....certainly not everytime... but I'm fat at 80kg..oh and it's not just a venge issue.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

parajba

by parajba

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:12 am
sethjs wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:08 am

occasionally ....certainly not everytime... but I'm fat at 80kg..oh and it's not just a venge issue.
Is this a common issue with the Venge? 80kg is certainly not ‘heavy’! I am debating whether buying a new Venge and this fact one puts me off bike time.

Does this happen with the CLX50/64 only? I hear the CL50/64 are stuffer.

Also, when are they going to put the frame on sale (in the UK)?

Samklee15

by Samklee15

I think this is just a common issue with road disc. I've experienced it on my Vias Disc, SL6 Disc, Open UP etc - all with what should be stiff Enve wheels. I'm also not that heavy at 68kg. I think road disc just has a ways to go before absolute perfection (0 rub) in every circumstance. Current road disc pads run so close to the rotor it only takes hitting a puddle for some water/ road debris to cause momentary rub. These are my experiences at least.

Stueys

by Stueys

It's rotor alignment, I'm 80kg and can't make my disc's rub (on a C3). Try aligning the calipers, 9/10's that solves it. The other candidate I've seen is an out of true rotor.

whatleytom

by whatleytom

88kg, riding a set of knight 50s on CK hubs with no rotor rub front or rear. Would have thought it would be a rotor and or hub issue to start seeing rub unless you're caliper alignment is way off.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Samklee15 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:54 am
I think this is just a common issue with road disc. I've experienced it on my Vias Disc, SL6 Disc, Open UP etc - all with what should be stiff Enve wheels. I'm also not that heavy at 68kg. I think road disc just has a ways to go before absolute perfection (0 rub) in every circumstance. Current road disc pads run so close to the rotor it only takes hitting a puddle for some water/ road debris to cause momentary rub. These are my experiences at least.
this is what I'm getting at... it's not just a venge thing, I get it on my Parlee XD... partly because I have multiple wheelsets with different degrees of rotor wear and I just slap them in and give them a spin... if I dont hear anything, I'm on the road. So occasionally because of those difference in wheel/rotor wear I will hear something out of the saddle climbing for a second or two.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

anykarthik

by anykarthik

Mine is a Venge Pro, so CL50.

Also, the rub is with every pedal stroke (when standing) when the bike is tipped over to the drive side. I've been riding discs for a decade now (2 mountain bikes, cross bike, QR, 12mm and 15mm axles). So I have some experience under my belt. None of the bikes did this. I realize the tolerances are tighter in road disc, but my CX bike (last gen ultegra) is dead silent.

Even if the caliper is not centered and the rotor is not true (which is the case... slightly out of true), there is clearly some flex in the system since there is no rub when the bike is upright while I pedal. Only happens when the bike is leaned over (even in a corner where the wheels are loaded up)

Anyways, my bike mechanic recentered the caliper and the rub is happening far less now (if at all). So that explains the one-sided nature of the rub. But there's obviously flex in the system and that bugs me. I'll keep riding and report back if things change again.