S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Life expectancy out of my ceramic speed BB???

I'm goimg to build up a Venge and I'm not sure if I should keep the stock ceramic speed BB or just purchase a C-bear BB.

Any advise?
Last edited by Ride4Life on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

Ride4Life wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:12 pm

I'm goimg to build up a Venge and I'm not sure if I should keep the stop ceramic speed BB or just purchase a C-bear BB.

Any advise?
Many of the Ceramicspeed BB's installed with the specialized frames were lower grade than the ones they sold normally (you could find them all over ebay for very low pricing relatively speaking). C-Bear or BBinfinite would be my choice.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

sigma wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:49 pm
Ride4Life wrote:

I'm goimg to build up a Venge and I'm not sure if I should keep the stop ceramic speed BB or just purchase a C-bear BB.

Any advise?
Many of the Ceramicspeed BB's installed with the specialized frames were lower grade than the ones they sold normally (you could find them all over ebay for very low pricing relatively speaking). C-Bear or BBinfinite would be my choice.

Thanks.

Also, I have the option to sell my Roval CLX50's. They have ceramic speed bearings.

Have there been issues with those going bad or being low quality as well?

sigma

by sigma

I think the wheel bearings were fine. I have 3000 miles on my CLX50s with no issues across a range of weather conditions. BTW, I have typically chosen the ceramic choice from BBinfinite simply because of the outstanding warranty that comes with them (which they have stood behind). Otherwise steel bearings work just as well for me. C-bear gets very high ratings from Ryanw here who does a ton of S works builds.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

My vote is also for BBinfinite. I just ordered one for my Venge build. Went for ceramic bearings in the past but steel this time. ABEC-7 is good stuff and a 3g savings for an extra $55 is steep.

The one piece design should be especially beneficial on such a narrow shell. I've had creaks on bikes before switching them all to BBinfinite and just wouldn't trust a 2 piece on BB30/OSBB due to the added leverage.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

So far I've been very happy with my c bear bb on my basso. Only done around 5000km on it but has just been fit and forget.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

tiz92

by tiz92

I have a c bear on my SL7 tarmac for at least 10.000 km and it spins like new. No play or anything.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

sigma wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:49 pm
Ride4Life wrote:

Any advise?
On the other hand, the "BB" is just two sets of 6806 bearings. You could ride ceramicspeed for a year, then buy a set from NTN and just replace them when worn, rather than doing so in advance. It's not hard. Spending two hundred quid or more on two bearing sets that don't even spin that fast is crazy IMO.

adriant

by adriant

Does anyone know any shop that have a Venge Frameset in size 61? I ordered a "brand new" frameset and I had to send it back. It had 30 scratches and places with missing lacquer and places where I can see the carbon.

And it wasn’t even on his original box. Was in a SL7 size 54 box.

steamroller

by steamroller

Looking for some advice on stem related components...

I have all of the factory spacers under my stem and would like to take some out to experiment with the height. From reading through these forums, I need the stem top cap with the hole in, which will allow up to 10mm spacers above the stem without needing to cut fork.
It seems like this can only be purchased as part of the 9 piece headset spacer pack: https://www.ciclisport.com/components/f ... kit__33644

A few questions:
- Does anyone know where I can get one of these caps without the whole set?
- Do I need a "standard" 10mm round spacers to go on top of the stem (like this: https://r2-bike.com/PROCRAFT-Spacer-Carbon-SET_1)?
- Seems like it's worth swapping out the stock expander plug to save a few grams. How much does the standard unit weigh, and will this fit the bill? https://r2-bike.com/EXTRALITE-Expander- ... -4-1-1-8_1

Looks like a LBS job as the cables need to be pulled with no split spacers.

Thanks for your help everyone.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've got a brand new 52cm team bike landing tomorrow... Gutted it's not a 56, but someone short is going to get a very special bike built up :thumbup:
Attachments
d399094f-c252-4164-9cfc-ff9849e59588.JPG
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

steamroller wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:00 am
Looking for some advice on stem related components...

I have all of the factory spacers under my stem and would like to take some out to experiment with the height. From reading through these forums, I need the stem top cap with the hole in, which will allow up to 10mm spacers above the stem without needing to cut fork.
It seems like this can only be purchased as part of the 9 piece headset spacer pack: https://www.ciclisport.com/components/f ... kit__33644

A few questions:
- Does anyone know where I can get one of these caps without the whole set?
- Do I need a "standard" 10mm round spacers to go on top of the stem (like this: https://r2-bike.com/PROCRAFT-Spacer-Carbon-SET_1)?
- Seems like it's worth swapping out the stock expander plug to save a few grams. How much does the standard unit weigh, and will this fit the bill? https://r2-bike.com/EXTRALITE-Expander- ... -4-1-1-8_1

Looks like a LBS job as the cables need to be pulled with no split spacers.

Thanks for your help everyone.
I think the stock expander is 29g (from memory).

For fitting purposes, why not just run round spacers on top without the cover until you decide where to cut the steerer? If this is meant to be a long-term solution then you can probably call a few specialized shops for that cover. I've gotten some of those spacer parts individually from shops, because they often just throw extras into a bin instead of giving them to their customers after they finish a build.

steamroller

by steamroller

Good idea @BigBoyND! Will run with that. Any advice on the expander, is that extralite ultrastar 4 going to do a decent job? ~5g total weight means 24g weight saving which seems decent.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

On a previous build I tried the the 7g Tune Xpanda but it wouldn't hold no matter how I cleaned or prepped the area. Ended up mixing some Supernova The Plug parts (the silver part and short screw) with a standard FSA expander caps (the black end pieces of The Plug are slightly bigger in diameter). Came to ~15g which is the same as CarbonTi, and held as well as anything else. I suspect the Tune surface is just too smooth.

I wouldn't trust the small surface area of the Ultrastar on a carbon steerer compared to a wider textured metal surface. For just 10g heavier you can have that.

Schmolke could be a good middle ground in contact area and weight. It's 16g including the top cap and screw, so the expander itself should be around 10g.

steamroller

by steamroller

Has anyone swapped their stock stem for an SL7 item? Savings to be had but I've read conflicting posts about compatibility... I think I need a longer stem anyway so thinking about options and I like the stock aerofly ii bars (otherwise would be looking at Bont RSL VR-C). Stock setup looks clean too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com