S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sthompson

by sthompson

endershan wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:06 pm
Stewart, where do you suggest I put the Bluetooth transmitter WU111? Replace the 1400mm wire with two wires and put the transmitter inside the frame?
Another question, the di2 wires your instruction suggest is way longer than Shimano’s length limit. For example, Shimano requires the wires combined from battery to front derailleur to be no longer than 1500mm, and rear derailleur no longer than 1700mm. On Venge both length are longer, so will there be any power issues?
Yes, exactly. I put my WU111 in the downtube and taped it to the B junction. It transmits to my Garmin 520 without issue.
We don't have any known issues with the wiring setup. It was actually first inspired by the Quickstep and Tinkoff teams who routed their TT bikes this way with the old Junction A taped under the saddle.
You can also use shorter wires than we suggest if you prefer. We errored on the long side so that for the biggest frame sizes you'd still be able to pull your seatpost all the way out and take your bars off easily, etc...
Last edited by sthompson on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sthompson

by sthompson

dvq wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:02 am
Wait are you saying you guys went _back_ to the Alloy OSBB shell, or it's just a carbon OSBB shell with an alloy insert epoxied in with 3m dp-240 like the 2018 Venge Vias and other newer Specialized bikes?
Both the Tarmac SL6 and the new Venge have a different setup than our previous frames with the cups bonded in. In the case of the Venge, there is a permanent alloy sleeve that goes all the way thru the BB that unsures the bearing bores have perfect axial alignment.

endershan

by endershan

sthompson wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:59 am

Yes, exactly. I put my WU111 in the downtube and taped it to the B junction. It transmits to my Garmin 510 without issue.
We don't have any known issues with the wiring setup. It was actually first inspired by the Quickstep and Tinkoff teams who routed their TT bikes this way with the old Junction A taped under the saddle.
You can also use shorter wires than we suggest if you prefer. We errored on the long side so that for the biggest frame sizes you'd still be able to pull your seatpost all the way out and take your bars off easily, etc...
Thank you very much, This is really helpful! My Sagan frame in 56 will arrive in a few days, I will try different length of wires.

sthompson

by sthompson

dznuzz wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:31 am
4: I know you have answered bike travel packing questions before but do you know if it is feasible to pack the new Venge in an Orucase? (If you haven't heard of the Orucase it is a really compact travel case that requires the fork to be removed from the bike). I realize that total fork removal is unlikely due to the hydraulic lines but do you think it would be possible to pull the fork out and get it to lie along the length downtube?

5: Can the Venge mount 160mm rotors in the front and rear?
4. No, I don't think so. You would need to physically disconnect the brake hose at the lever or caliper in order to remove the fork from the frame.

5. Yes. 140/160 on both front and rear. We have normal flat mount brake spec with nothing tricky going on. BTW, bikes are specc'd with 140-R/160-F rotors.

sthompson

by sthompson

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:20 am
Any reason that you guys didnt flare them?
Mostly just didn't want to mess with a good thing. We haven't really had requests for flared road bars and have good feedback from riders on the shape of the original Aerofly.
We do realize bar shape is a very personal choice which is why we made sure the Venge stem was still compatible with other bars.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

sthompson wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:20 am
Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:20 am
Any reason that you guys didnt flare them?
Thanks for answering all these questions, Stewart. Today, at the coffee stop in a monthly group ride to Morgan Hill, I saw the Tarmac SL6 for the first time and sure enough, it belonged to a Sopecialized worker (you?). I complimented him, and now you, on the good work Specialized his done with its THREE promising recent releases (both Tarmacs and the Venge). They will be serious contenders in my next bike upgrade, when to be fair I had been disappointed in the SL5. Kudos also are due for your work in aluminum (the bike I rode today is aluminum), with the US NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and all. Your company has really stepped up its frame game (I've always been a fan of your parts, love the CLX32 wheels).
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

shn750

by shn750

Hi Stewart,

When ordering the frame set, is it possible to order with a different stem length than what is defaulted in your sizing chart? For example, I would need a 110 stem for a size 52 frame set.

Thanks
Steve

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

shn750 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:57 am
Hi Stewart,

When ordering the frame set, is it possible to order with a different stem length than what is defaulted in your sizing chart? For example, I would need a 110 stem for a size 52 frame set.

Thanks
Steve
Speaking to Stewart and Spec Canada, there is nothing in place to order a different size, will need to get seperately.. Stewart did post all the relevant PNs a few pages back though..

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

Anyone seen picture of a size 58 frame?

Any thoughts on Venge Pro Disc weight?
CL50 are 100g lighter than CLX64, guess the frame is heavier.
Ultegra adds 300g? Any other differences?

dznuzz

by dznuzz

@sthompson: THanks for the inside scoop here! I know what I am anxiously going to be waiting to come into stock :) just sad I won't be able to race it this season!

endershan

by endershan

My Sagan 56 frameset arrived today, with some wires and junction box on the way. Hoping to build it this weekend!
Attachments
FullSizeRender(4).jpg
IMG_6177.JPG

MRM

by MRM

Wow looks fantastic. Really looking forward to your complete build!

ODC

by ODC

My dad has the new 2019 S-Works Venge and he is loving it.
Coming from his old Colnago Extreme Power it is a huge step forward.
Some other comments for his side:
- He wasn't a fan of disc brakes, but know he's loves it.
- Cumming for a normal handle bar to the new aero bar needs some time to get used to.
- The Venge is a lot stiffer and in combination with the clx64 it makes It very stiff. His back needs to get used to it.
- He comes from an era that 21mm tires where the standard but he loves the 26mm turo cotton tires on his CLX64 wheels

I must say if I compare the new Venge to my Tarmac SL6 disc then I hope that the new Tarmac sl7 disc takes certain things of the venge:
- The junction box in the saddle bar is very clean
- The cables through the head tube so you don't really see any cables is also very clean

Turbeau

by Turbeau

endershan wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:44 pm

My Sagan 56 frameset arrived today, with some wires and junction box on the way. Hoping to build it this weekend!
That frame looks amazing! Congrats on adding that to your stable. Question for you, what size stem shipped with the frame? And was it the -6 degree version?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nico1970

by nico1970

sthompson wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:59 am
Yes, exactly. I put my WU111 in the downtube and taped it to the B junction. It transmits to my Garmin 510 without issue.
wow, that's exactly what I was looking for, is it possible to you to post a photo?

Tks