S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andreas

by andreas

I absolutely advise against getting anything in matte white, when you get some oil or dirt there it will smear into the surrounding area when you try to clean it off.
Black/white is easier to match with all kinds of kits, which is why I prefer those frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

andreas wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:13 pm
I absolutely advise against getting anything in matte white, when you get some oil or dirt there it will smear into the surrounding area when you try to clean it off.
Black/white is easier to match with all kinds of kits, which is why I prefer those frames.
there are cleaning products that will take care of matte white well.. I rode a bike that was have black and white in matte and chemical guys cleaner did wonders.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

anykarthik

by anykarthik

I bought the Matt black Venge Pro. I REALLY wanted to get a non-black bike and would have pulled the trigger on the purple bike, but metal flake is too much bling for my weak legs. If it was a matt or gloss purple without the flake, I would have gone that route. Of course, the extra weight that comes with non-black paints was also a factor. I read somewhere that the purple-flake bike is ~150-200g heavier.

That said, the hologram logos, saddle and bar tape actually make the matt black bike look quite interesting. So no regrets really.

andreas

by andreas

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:35 pm
andreas wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:13 pm
there are cleaning products that will take care of matte white well.. I rode a bike that was have black and white in matte and chemical guys cleaner did wonders.
I tried Morgan Blue matte carbon cleaner, and it did nothing for me. I then tried with WD40 and Citrus Cleaner in desperation as well. May have been too long between getting the stains and cleaning them. I ended up coating my bike in silicone spray after that to avoid any further mess.

RussellS

by RussellS

anykarthik wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 pm
Of course, the extra weight that comes with non-black paints was also a factor. I read somewhere that the purple-flake bike is ~150-200g heavier.
You are ASSuming the "black" comes from the natural color of the carbon fiber. But more likely if it is painted black, then a black bike weighs the exact same as any other color of bike. I doubt black paint is any lighter weight than white paint or red paint.

cerro

by cerro

anykarthik wrote:
I bought the Matt black Venge Pro. I REALLY wanted to get a non-black bike and would have pulled the trigger on the purple bike, but metal flake is too much bling for my weak legs. If it was a matt or gloss purple without the flake, I would have gone that route. Of course, the extra weight that comes with non-black paints was also a factor. I read somewhere that the purple-flake bike is ~150-200g heavier.

That said, the hologram logos, saddle and bar tape actually make the matt black bike look quite interesting. So no regrets really.
Which size? My Purple in 52 is coming any day now :) Got my Aerofly II in 38cm today, 213g :)

sivan

by sivan

RussellS wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:34 pm
anykarthik wrote:
Of course, the extra weight that comes with non-black paints was also a factor. I read somewhere that the purple-flake bike is ~150-200g heavier.
You are ASSuming the "black" comes from the natural color of the carbon fiber. But more likely if it is painted black, then a black bike weighs the exact same as any other color of bike. I doubt black paint is any lighter weight than white paint or red paint.
I`m ASSuming you have to use a thicker layer of white paint then black...

anykarthik

by anykarthik

sivan wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:53 pm
RussellS wrote:
anykarthik wrote:
I`m ASSuming you have to use a thicker layer of white paint then black...
Also, in this specific case, metal flake paint is heavier than regular paint.

anykarthik

by anykarthik

cerro wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:09 pm
anykarthik wrote:

Which size? My Purple in 52 is coming any day now :) Got my Aerofly II in 38cm today, 213g :)
Got the 54. Fits me well. Though I may have to go back to my Selle SMP saddle which would be shame since the hologram saddle cover on the stock Power saddle is pretty damn cool

euan

by euan

Black paint is surprisingly transparent. The metal flake bikes will be painted black before the flake, but I'd be surprised if they are adding more than 25g of flake to the binder and a lot of that will end up on the floor of the spray booth. Will need to burried in extra layers of clearcoat though

andreas

by andreas

Can the spacers be moved to the top of the stem, or does one have to cut the steerer when slamming? This setup looks pretty awful.... Image

wingguy

by wingguy

RussellS wrote:
anykarthik wrote:
You are ASSuming the "black" comes from the natural color of the carbon fiber. But more likely if it is painted black,
It is painted black - but with a black carbon backing you only need a small thickness of black paint to get the uniform finish you want. With lighter colours you need enough paint layered up to be completely opaque. If you ever chip the paint on a white or fluoro bike you'll see how much is needed!

RussellS

by RussellS

wingguy wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:23 am
RussellS wrote:
anykarthik wrote:
You are ASSuming the "black" comes from the natural color of the carbon fiber. But more likely if it is painted black,
It is painted black - but with a black carbon backing you only need a small thickness of black paint to get the uniform finish you want. With lighter colours you need enough paint layered up to be completely opaque. If you ever chip the paint on a white or fluoro bike you'll see how much is needed!
You really believe million/billion dollar Specialized "custom" builds every bike it makes? Factories, whether in China or USA, DO NOT vary the routine for everything they produce. That is inefficient and leads to bankruptcy. You honestly believe black bikes are painted differently than white bikes and red bikes? Other than the color, everything is identical. All Specialized bikes built at the same Chinese factory get the same paint job. Costs skyrocket when you change things for every product. Every bike gets two coats of primer, every bike gets two coats of finish color, every bike gets two coats of gloss topcoat. Efficiency keeps costs low and profit high. Variation in every product you make increases costs and lowers profit.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

andreas wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:21 pm
Can the spacers be moved to the top of the stem, or does one have to cut the steerer when slamming? This setup looks pretty awful.... Image
Can u buy this bartape separately?
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

RussellS wrote: You really believe million/billion dollar Specialized "custom" builds every bike it makes? Factories, whether in China or USA, DO NOT vary the routine for everything they produce. That is inefficient and leads to bankruptcy. You honestly believe black bikes are painted differently than white bikes and red bikes?
Using unneccessary amounts of paint will lead to bankruptcy, as well.