S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

johnrho wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:00 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
johnrho wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:59 pm
Martyn just sent me pics of the custom aero spacer I got him to make for my THM Tibia stem. Can’t wait to get this installed

very nice! A question: is this the spacer that goes on top of the Venge headset spacer? Asking because it looks a bit thick and while I am tempted go this route, am very hesitant because I am slammed on my Venge, with the steerer cut. I think THM stem is 40mm high, vs 35mm for the Venge stem, so I worry that the whole assembly will be higher than I want and also just not fit the cut steerer. Would you perhaps be able to measure the total height of stem + headset spacer and the raceware custom piece?
Good question - I’m waiting for Martyn to send it back to me but I’ll ask him to measure the total height. I’m not slammed so never thought about the height difference as I have room to remove some existing spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you manage to get the bits back and measure the height?

johnrho

by johnrho

Martyn just shipped it - I should have it in 3 days

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnrho

by johnrho

johnrho wrote:
johnrho wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:59 pm
Martyn just sent me pics of the custom aero spacer I got him to make for my THM Tibia stem. Can’t wait to get this installed

very nice! A question: is this the spacer that goes on top of the Venge headset spacer? Asking because it looks a bit thick and while I am tempted go this route, am very hesitant because I am slammed on my Venge, with the steerer cut. I think THM stem is 40mm high, vs 35mm for the Venge stem, so I worry that the whole assembly will be higher than I want and also just not fit the cut steerer. Would you perhaps be able to measure the total height of stem + headset spacer and the raceware custom piece?
Good question - I’m waiting for Martyn to send it back to me but I’ll ask him to measure the total height. I’m not slammed so never thought about the height difference as I have room to remove some existing spacers.

The custom spacer is 10mm and 49mm from bottom of spacer to top of the THM stem

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

johnrho wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:11 pm
johnrho wrote:

The custom spacer is 10mm and 49mm from bottom of spacer to top of the THM stem

Thank you. Just to clarify: does the spacer sit atop the frame directly or is there still a venge headset spacer under it?

johnrho

by johnrho

aeroisnteverything wrote: Thank you. Just to clarify: does the spacer sit atop the frame directly or is there still a venge headset spacer under it?
This spacer is the upper transition stem spacer that will go mate on top of the lower transition spacer that covers the headset.

I think Martyn made the spacer thicker/used more material was to prevent it being brittle as there is preload. You could ask him to made a custom piece that is both the upper/lower transition spacer to your stack specifications

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Cheers, thank you!

steamroller

by steamroller

johnrho wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:07 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote: Thank you. Just to clarify: does the spacer sit atop the frame directly or is there still a venge headset spacer under it?
This spacer is the upper transition stem spacer that will go mate on top of the lower transition spacer that covers the headset.

I think Martyn made the spacer thicker/used more material was to prevent it being brittle as there is preload. You could ask him to made a custom piece that is both the upper/lower transition spacer to your stack specifications

Any photos of the bike with stem and customer spacer? Pretty keen on this!

Maddie

by Maddie

For the DIY guys, you can also take a spacer and modify it a bit:

This is not the finished product but should give you an idea how it can look. I used chopped carbon fiber tow and epoxy to fill and strengthen the gaps. The front of the spacer needs some dremelling to make way for the brake lines.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Maddie wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:43 am
For the DIY guys, you can also take a spacer and modify it a bit:

This is not the finished product but should give you an idea how it can look. I used chopped carbon fiber tow and epoxy to fill and strengthen the gaps. The front of the spacer needs some dremelling to make way for the brake lines.
Mate, how many stems swaps are you going to execute on the Venge? :lol: . Cheers for the DYI efforts though. :beerchug:

Maddie

by Maddie

Haha, good question! I'm constantly changing stuff on all my bikes. Not even sure whether the THM stem will make it on the Venge or the SL7 eventually

johnrho

by johnrho

Here’s a quick pic of the stem being installed

Got swamped at work so haven’t had a chance to pick the bike up..will have more pics tomorrow after I pick it up

steamroller

by steamroller

johnrho wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:28 am
Here’s a quick pic of the stem being installed

Got swamped at work so haven’t had a chance to pick the bike up..will have more pics tomorrow after I pick it up

Awesome thanks, I would love to see more pics!

johnrho

by johnrho

Here you go

KyleH

by KyleH

I'll post a close up picture when I get my bike back from getting the brakes bled but I recently swapped my Venge stem for an Sl7 stem and am using the RaceWare spacer that blends the Sl7 stem with the Venge lower headset cover. Overall pretty happy with it, the dimensions are slightly off from being a seamless fit, as it's a touch short in the front and touch long in the back, but we are talking less than a mm and you only see it if you're really looking for it. The material matches well with the stem and stem cover but is slightly off from the stock Venge headset cover. Being 3d printed the feel is more granular than the smooth stock pieces but not super noticeable. It was kind of pricey but probably the best option for those wanting to do the same.

No bar tape installed yet but trying to get down to 7.25kg all said and done. Have 9150 derailleurs and a printed garmin mount waiting to go on.

Current build is CL50s setup tubeless with Sworks Turbo 26s, 8050 shifters/calipers/derailleurs (direct mount rear), MT900 rotors (140), 9100 crank, cassette, pedals and chain, Kogel BB30-24, Rapide 38c bars, Pro Stealth Superlite saddle, 100mm Sl7 stem, 2x Arundel Mandible cages, stock garmin mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Built this (54cm) for a very good rider the other week...
Attachments
C3A7D0D7-4320-420F-A2D4-28FEB2207001.jpeg
FD156522-7E0C-4F79-89E2-36F1D5DF9B55.jpeg
279819A4-DD37-4579-A78B-34CC96F98391.jpeg
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop