S-Works Venge 2019

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
andreas
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm

by andreas

Does the 12 degree transition spacer come with the frameset or the 12 degree stems, or does it need to be purchased separately?

by Weenie


blehargh
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 pm

by blehargh

andreas wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm
Does the 12 degree transition spacer come with the frameset or the 12 degree stems, or does it need to be purchased separately?
Separate

Bigmac
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm
Location: London, UK

by Bigmac

andreas wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:17 pm
Does the 12 degree transition spacer come with the frameset or the 12 degree stems, or does it need to be purchased separately?

https://www.amaincycling.com/specialize ... 06/p864858

Hexsense
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

Bigmac wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:47 am

I don't know if you've seen a Venge stem fitted to other than a Venge ? To be honest I didn't think it was a great look... if you haven't seen it, it might be a wise move before you make what is a significant investment. It's a shame Specialized didn't produce a stem which could be used on other that the Venge but then the weight penalty over say the S-Works SL might have put some people off.
Do you have a picture?
I think the rear part will looks fine with top plastic cap installed. But I'm not sure how front part of steerer tube will look like, without Venge's transition spacer, as i don't need any spacer on my bike.

The only other options i care to use are
Zipp SL-Sprint (-12 degree). This is even more expensive. Mounting clamp is also wide but worse yet, no bike computer on stem front plate.
Shimano Pro Vibe stem (-10 degree). Currently the 120mm for 1 1/8 are out of stock in most places. Plus i speculate that although it reviewed as stiff, is not as stiff as sprinter stems like Zipp SL-Sprint and Venge stem.

The rest, i don't really like the look of other stems.

Bigmac
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm
Location: London, UK

by Bigmac

Hexsense wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:06 pm
Bigmac wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:47 am

I don't know if you've seen a Venge stem fitted to other than a Venge ? To be honest I didn't think it was a great look... if you haven't seen it, it might be a wise move before you make what is a significant investment. It's a shame Specialized didn't produce a stem which could be used on other that the Venge but then the weight penalty over say the S-Works SL might have put some people off.
Do you have a picture?
I think the rear part will looks fine with top plastic cap installed. But I'm not sure how front part of steerer tube will look like, without Venge's transition spacer, as i don't need any spacer on my bike.

The only other options i care to use are
Zipp SL-Sprint (-12 degree). This is even more expensive. Mounting clamp is also wide but worse yet, no bike computer on stem front plate.
Shimano Pro Vibe stem (-10 degree). Currently the 120mm for 1 1/8 are out of stock in most places. Plus i speculate that although it reviewed as stiff, is not as stiff as sprinter stems like Zipp SL-Sprint and Venge stem.

The rest, i don't really like the look of other stems.
Sorry, no image, I saw the setup in a bike store, a customer wanted to fit the Aerofly 2 bars and a Venge stem to a Tarmac SL6 and when I saw it they had been mounted but not fitted. The guys in the shop didn't think it was a good look and neither did I, but that's just personal preference. Obvioulsy the Venge stem is made to accomodate the hydraulic cables and so it's longer. Given the Tarmac is designed for a standard stem there is a fair amount of overhang with the Venge. I dare say some people wont worry about this and of course you pay your money and take your choice, it just woudn't be mine, the stem is also a fair bit heavier than the S-Works SL. Again, personally I don't like the look of a standard stem with the Venge albeit the spacer required is supplied with the bike/frame. I guess it's all subjective and we all like different things. I would have liked to have seen Specialized produce a more multi use aero stem that could have been used on the Venge, Tarmac and Allez etc. but I guess they had their reasons not least that the Venge is a pure aero bike. I tried the Aeofly 2 bars on a Tarmac myself with an S-Works SL stem, I menioned in an earlier post that I couldn't fit a computer mount, especially with the clips fitted. If you don't fit the clips it leaves the threaded insert in the bars exposed which again, isn't a good look. I decided to return the bars and stick to the original Aeroflys. Because of the shortage of Aerofly 2's the store were more than happy to take the bars back. I would still suggest that you try and see the setup before investing, great if you like it, but it could save some stress if you don't!

Hexsense
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

Thanks.
I already have Aerofly ii on my bike, with Pro Vibe stem. without clips. I don't ever notice the unfilled threaded to be something missing.

My fit change and my current stem is now too short, and therefore i need longer stem of -10 or -12 degree.
I'm in the early part of 1 month break from biking. I'll get Venge stem in July when i'm back on bike then.
I'd think twice if the stem is heavy for nothing. But since it is stiffer than Zipp SL-Sprint, it's justified. Will post picture for future reference when it's on my bike. My guess: not looking more out of place than Zipp Sl-Sprint or Pro Vibe Sprint stem on most classic round tube bike.

PS. pictures below are not mine, just quick reference of how it looks with Pro Vibe Sprint stem and Zipp SL-Sprint.
Image
Image
Last edited by Hexsense on Thu May 30, 2019 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmac
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm
Location: London, UK

by Bigmac

Hexsense wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:44 am
Thanks.
I already have Aerofly ii on my bike, with Pro Vibe stem. without clips. I don't ever notice the unfilled threaded to be something missing.

My fit change and my current stem is now too short, and therefore i need longer stem of -10 or -12 degree.
I'm in the early part of 1 month break from biking. I'll get Venge stem in July when i'm back on bike then.
I'd think twice if the stem is heavy for nothing. But since it is stiffer than Zipp SL-Sprint, it's justified. Will post picture for future reference when it's on my bike. My guess: not looking more out of place than Zipp Sl-Sprint or Pro Vibe Sprint stem on most classic round tube bike.
Image
Image
Which mount are you usinmg with the Elemnt Bolt ?

Hexsense
Posts: 766
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

Pictures above are not mine, however, yes i use Aerofly II with Elemnt Bolt.
Mine is "K-edge race mount for pro vibe".
From the look of mounting space, i think regular K-edge race mount should also fit.

Bigmac
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:37 pm
Location: London, UK

by Bigmac

Hexsense wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:09 am
Pictures above are not mine, however, yes i use Aerofly II with Elemnt Bolt.
Mine is "K-edge race mount for pro vibe".
From the look of mounting space, i think regular K-edge race mount should also fit.
These looked as if they held the Bolt quite close to the stem face plate, so many mounts hold the computer too far foward for my liking!

WESTMOTORSPORTS
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:33 pm

by WESTMOTORSPORTS

I ride in n.e Ohio with alot of bad roads and choppy hills and wanted a "do everything" bike. When I mated my f8(aero bike) to my Zukus (gravel bike), the offspring was this 2019 venge with enve 4.5ar wheels.
Attachments
IMG_5424.JPG
IMG_5427.JPG
IMG_5431.JPG
Last edited by WESTMOTORSPORTS on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.


thaking
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 7:09 pm

by thaking

1. New Venge pro 2019, after 3 riders "special Specialized bar tape" (S-WRAP HD HANDLEBAR TAPE). What should I do, reclamation ?
Image



2. Does anyone knows if Specialized really change saddle, from "Holographic "Power" saddle to normal "black power" saddle, as I received this second one instead first one (explanation was that bike was delivered with black saddle instead holographic, as it's slippery) ?!?


Image
Image

ParisCarbon
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:39 am
Location: Winnipeg Canada

by ParisCarbon

WESTMOTORSPORTS wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:26 pm
Image I ride in n.e Ohio with alot of bad roads and choppy hills and wanted a "do everything" bike. When I mated my f8(aero bike) to my Zukus (gravel bike), the offspring is this 2019 venge with enve 4.5ar wheels.
Nice.. Ive been waiting for my EPS 12 / Internal bar end DTI for so long now I forgot I had the Venge frameset in the basement LOL

andreas
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 pm

by andreas

thaking wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:02 pm
1. New Venge pro 2019, after 3 riders "special Specialized bar tape" (S-WRAP HD HANDLEBAR TAPE).

2. Does anyone knows if Specialized really change saddle, from "Holographic "Power" saddle to normal "black power" saddle, as I received this second one instead first one (explanation was that bike was delivered with black saddle instead holographic, as it's slippery) ?!?
Mine came with the black saddle as well. Considering how slippy the bar tape is, I'm glad. That bar tape is not staying long on my bike, way too slick. Trying to find a deep purple alternative to replace it with, preferably darker than the Supacaz purple bar tape.

by Weenie


thaking
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 7:09 pm

by thaking

andreas wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:15 pm
thaking wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:02 pm
1. New Venge pro 2019, after 3 riders "special Specialized bar tape" (S-WRAP HD HANDLEBAR TAPE).

2. Does anyone knows if Specialized really change saddle, from "Holographic "Power" saddle to normal "black power" saddle, as I received this second one instead first one (explanation was that bike was delivered with black saddle instead holographic, as it's slippery) ?!?
Mine came with the black saddle as well. Considering how slippy the bar tape is, I'm glad. That bar tape is not staying long on my bike, way too slick. Trying to find a deep purple alternative to replace it with, preferably darker than the Supacaz purple bar tape.
That's stragne, I ordered mine at that time when on specialized page was "holographic power" saddle, but received black version ?!? You mean in your case saddle or tape was slippy ?

What about black S-works option ?
Image
https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... ebar-tape/

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post