S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Twocanlan

by Twocanlan

Okay, for now the front brake drag on my Tarmac Expert has been solved, climbed up a steep grade mostly standing and had no concerns of touching/dragging as previous. So perhaps what the mechanic’s notion of caliper piston sticking was the culprit. Only time will tell. Also when I put my wheel away I always face it the same direction and am very careful not to lay it on the rotor side.

But now you guys make me want a slick Venge also!!
‘19 Spesh Tarmac Disc Expert - camo (gone but not forgotten)
‘18 Trek Crockett Al 5 gravel setup (due for replacement)

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:03 pm

What’s not true?

I’m saying there is a version of the ViAS frame missing the cable ports. It was primarily sold as a full bike, but you could also request it as a frameset. Specialized is clearly willing to make minor changes to the basic design of their frames to suit the market...see the SL6 Comp/Sport frame for example.
I don't beleive there was any such bike offered in the Venge line. There was an Etap Tarmac that had no ports for any drivetrain cables or wires, just the top tube port for the rear brake.... but I don't beleive there was ever any offering like that for a disc brake ViAS. I looked at the bike archive and can't find it. In the case of Tarmac, I'd suspect that its far easier to delete something from a current mold, than it is to redsign a mold to add something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you look at the black/white eTap or purple Di2 Venge ViAS you will see that the cable entry port/bulge on the downtube has been deleted. The electronic-only frameset doesn’t have its own product page, but dealers were able to order them for anyone in the know.

MRM

by MRM

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 pm
ryanw wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:29 pm
He meant FACT12r, that's Spesh's top grade carbon used on the S Works SL6.

Er, yeah. Forget that...tough to keep track. Though I guess it does mean there's a very remote possibility of a mid-cycle update to the frame with a 12r lay-up schedule.
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:21 pm

I don't understand what you're arguing.. they already have what you're suggesting, the Venge ViAS expert.

I'm saying the Venge "ViAS" Expert should be replaced with a 10r current Venge with mechanical cable ports. The previous Venge ViAS frame also came in mechanical and electronic-only versions, so I don't think the additional mold issue is dealbreaker.
Not so sure about that. Fact 12r might be stiffer with the higher modulus and with the additional material used with the deeper tube sections compared to the Tarmac Sl6, the ride might be too harsh causing Specialized to choose Fact 11r. That is the problem with this kind of carbon designations and the companies own advertising with them. Everyne assumes Fact 12r is better than Fact 11r, but that may not be the case for every type of use.

cerro

by cerro

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:51 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:03 pm

What’s not true?

I’m saying there is a version of the ViAS frame missing the cable ports. It was primarily sold as a full bike, but you could also request it as a frameset. Specialized is clearly willing to make minor changes to the basic design of their frames to suit the market...see the SL6 Comp/Sport frame for example.
I don't beleive there was any such bike offered in the Venge line. There was an Etap Tarmac that had no ports for any drivetrain cables or wires, just the top tube port for the rear brake.... but I don't beleive there was ever any offering like that for a disc brake ViAS. I looked at the bike archive and can't find it. In the case of Tarmac, I'd suspect that its far easier to delete something from a current mold, than it is to redsign a mold to add something.
The comple S-Works Venge disc with etap didn't have any external ports for cables, just internal. The frameset with the same white/black color had external ports making it possible to use a regular bar and stem.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cerro wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:47 pm

The comple S-Works Venge disc with etap didn't have any external ports for cables, just internal. The frameset with the same white/black color had external ports making it possible to use a regular bar and stem.

Yes, and you could request both the Chameleon or Black/White frameset without the ports.

OreoMcFlurry

by OreoMcFlurry

hi guys! created an account just to post this haha i finally got my hands on a venge! have owned it for 2 weeks already and it’s a sweet ride.

it’s size 52, specced with R8070 and Enve 5.6
A68DB762-539A-4B17-AF4B-BD4909B1F611.jpeg

greenamit

by greenamit

Finally I completed to build this one.

Di2 - 9170 with Ultegra long cage RD and 11-34 cassette.
53/39 S-works with SRM power meter.
Zipp 404 firecrest tubular
Supacaz
Ultegra carbon pedals
S-Works Power Comp saddle

7.89kg. Not the lightest. I tought it would be more like 7.3kg..
Any ideas how to shave some extra weight without paying $$$$$
Attachments
IMG_0510.jpg
2019-01-25 14.57.48.jpg

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

That has genuinely shocked me. On tubs I'd expect low 7s if not high 6s. Are you sure you don't have a bar of gold hidden in the downtube?!

Only thing I'd say is the swap the rear cassette out for something like a DA 11-30.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

guyc

by guyc

11-34. On a Venge?

Campervan

by Campervan

guyc wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:22 pm
11-34. On a Venge?
With that, could drop to a 11-30 and a 34/50? save weight?
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

guyc

by guyc

I was more thinking that this is a bike aimed for fast riding. I'm surprised to see an 11-34 on something not being used for super-steep climbing but then it's running a 52/39 - that's weird gearing. Huge gaps won't help either.

52-36 with a 12-28 would make more sense (unless the owner is doing nothing but climbing, but then why buy a Venge?)

MMW

by MMW

OreoMcFlurry wrote:hi guys! created an account just to post this haha i finally got my hands on a venge! have owned it for 2 weeks already and it’s a sweet ride.

it’s size 52, specced with R8070 and Enve 5.6
A68DB762-539A-4B17-AF4B-BD4909B1F611.jpeg
Can I ask how tall you are?Image

Considering the 52 my self.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenamit

by greenamit

guyc wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:42 pm
I was more thinking that this is a bike aimed for fast riding. I'm surprised to see an 11-34 on something not being used for super-steep climbing but then it's running a 52/39 - that's weird gearing. Huge gaps won't help either.

52-36 with a 12-28 would make more sense (unless the owner is doing nothing but climbing, but then why buy a Venge?)
I'm quite a heavy guy (94kg) and because I had my SRM 53/39 crank from my previous VIAS I didn't want to lose it.
With 53/39 and my weight it was too difficult to climb - my cadance was dropped to 50 with the lowest gear.
So I swapped the DA RD to Ultegra which can run 11-34 and now I have enough gears when climbing and on the flats.

Anyway, the difference between DA 11-28 (193gr) and Ultegra 11-34 (335gr) is 142gr so even if I change this it would drop the total weight to 7.75kg...

guyc

by guyc

Ok. So you’re 94kg and you’re worried about saving 142 grams?

You’re not going to notice it. At all.

If you can drop body weight. You could take 2kg off there easily and it won’t cost you a penny.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com