S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Stitchking wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:44 pm
bikeboy1tr wrote:Actually it was relatively easy as the caliper has elongated mounting holes already so I just took a couple grade 8 sockethead capscrews that were a little longer and cut them to length. The longer bolts have a portion of its length under the head that is not threaded which gives a little clearance when the bolt is threaded into the caliper which allows the caliper to move ever so slightly and surprisingly makes very little noise. A little locktite for the threads to ensure they dont back out and we are good to go.
So they kinda rub a little bit all the time? But can move with any deformation? I would argue that a correctly set up fixed caliper would be more efficient that this. You can get them to sit with zero rub with a little bit of skill. The only rub i get on my bike is after a long descent for maybe 5 seconds max while the heat in the system dissapates.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I was only getting some rub on the front when cornering hard or when standing sprints but it was nothing severe just kind of ringing out momentarily. When I set up the caliper I did what was mentioned here previously, which was to loosen the mount bolts and squeeze the brakes and then tighten the mount bolts. While doing this I am looking at the slotted mounts on the calipers and thinking hmmm. So then I thought screw it I will set it up to float and not bother with set up any longer. The CX bike is a Norco Carbon Threshold 2014 which I think was the last year of QR. The QR is another reason I modified the set up. I can understand why they went to Thru Axle with disc brakes.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:11 am
Stitchking wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:44 pm
bikeboy1tr wrote:Actually it was relatively easy as the caliper has elongated mounting holes already so I just took a couple grade 8 sockethead capscrews that were a little longer and cut them to length. The longer bolts have a portion of its length under the head that is not threaded which gives a little clearance when the bolt is threaded into the caliper which allows the caliper to move ever so slightly and surprisingly makes very little noise. A little locktite for the threads to ensure they dont back out and we are good to go.
So they kinda rub a little bit all the time? But can move with any deformation? I would argue that a correctly set up fixed caliper would be more efficient that this. You can get them to sit with zero rub with a little bit of skill. The only rub i get on my bike is after a long descent for maybe 5 seconds max while the heat in the system dissapates.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I was only getting some rub on the front when cornering hard or when standing sprints but it was nothing severe just kind of ringing out momentarily. When I set up the caliper I did what was mentioned here previously, which was to loosen the mount bolts and squeeze the brakes and then tighten the mount bolts. While doing this I am looking at the slotted mounts on the calipers and thinking hmmm. So then I thought screw it I will set it up to float and not bother with set up any longer. The CX bike is a Norco Carbon Threshold 2014 which I think was the last year of QR. The QR is another reason I modified the set up. I can understand why they went to Thru Axle with disc brakes.
So in the end its just out of laziness that I did this.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

How do you not get masses of brake shudder with that setup....
Using Tapatalk

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 am
How do you not get masses of brake shudder with that setup....
Thats a good question I cant answer because its smooth enough that I never think about it when braking. My guess is that once there is some clamping force going through the pads the caliper stays in its place. I still have good modulation and the only time I notice the float is when I am at a standstill with the brakes squeezed and rocking the bike back and forth you can feel the additional clearance.

hyvent

by hyvent

dns76 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 pm
hyvent wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:32 pm
dns76 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:30 pm
7.17kg ....:twinkle: ..size 52, 130mm stem, excluding swat multitool.
7.17kg with pedals?
i was told it would be around 7.3 to 7.4kg for a size 52 in black with clx64's
yes.
the wheels are tubeless without an inner tube.
i thought the weight of tubeless is more than clinchers?
can someone else verify with a size 52?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

hyvent wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:22 pm
dns76 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 pm
hyvent wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:32 pm
dns76 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:30 pm
7.17kg ....:twinkle: ..size 52, 130mm stem, excluding swat multitool.
7.17kg with pedals?
i was told it would be around 7.3 to 7.4kg for a size 52 in black with clx64's
yes.
the wheels are tubeless without an inner tube.
i thought the weight of tubeless is more than clinchers?
can someone else verify with a size 52?
lots of variable... tires, tubes,amount of sealent, tape..etc etc.

I'd still like to see a size 52 with CLX64's tubeless or not hanging from a scale @ 7.17kg. I'm slighting skep with the other numbers being thrown around on the net.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

pfgp

by pfgp

Waynen wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:14 am
Hi all

So my build started yesterday, it is basically a size 54 with Dura Ace with a few changes to the standard bike, i have opted for the THM crankset and the Berk saddle over the S-works options. I have also decided to go for the Clx 50 over the 64 wheelsets but they are not currently available so i am building the bike with a set of DT Swiss ERC1400 wheels which I have. I will run the wheels tubeless with the Schwalbe Pro One Evolution 25mm front and 28mm rear.

Did you buy frame only or complete bike? where did you get the computer mount?
thanks

pfgp

by pfgp

sergiobnuel wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 pm
7,34Image

Enviado desde mi Aquaris U mediante Tapatalk
did the computer mount came with the frame?

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

My Venge Pro came in this week and got its first ride this afternoon (been raining all week).

For reference, I am coming over from a Felt AR.

He bike is quick, responsive, and stiff. At 7.33 kg, weight from my previous bike was immediately noticeable. When changing lanes or avoiding pot holes, a tiny shift in weight was enough for the bike to respond just the way I wanted. Out of the saddle on hard accelerations or up an incline, the power transfer from legs to wheels feels great. My one complaint at this point is he plastic cap that covers the headset portion of the stem. The fit is a little flimsy and when flicking the bike around, I knocked it off with my knee (was able to recover it). I told my LBS they may as well just order me 5 of those. Details of build below.

Venge Pro
54 cm frame
S-works power arc saddle
Turbo cotton tires (26s)
Dura Ace pedals
Supacaz 18g bottle cages

sergiobnuel

by sergiobnuel

Yes
pfgp wrote:
sergiobnuel wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 pm
7,34Image

did the computer mount came with the frame?

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Does anybody know what maximum width wheels the new VENGE takes. I know that the CLX60 are 29.5mm external width. And I have a set of Enve 4.5SES that 31mm front and 30.5mm back external width, and wanted to transfer them over. Any ideas?
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

parajba

by parajba

LBoogie28 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:28 pm
My Venge Pro came in this week and got its first ride this afternoon (been raining all week).

He bike is quick, responsive, and stiff. At 7.33 kg, weight from my previous bike was immediately noticeable. When changing lanes or avoiding pot holes, a tiny shift in weight was enough for the bike to respond just the way I wanted. Out of the saddle on hard accelerations or up an incline, the power transfer from legs to wheels feels great. My one complaint at this point is he plastic cap that covers the headset portion of the stem. The fit is a little flimsy and when flicking the bike around, I knocked it off with my knee (was able to recover it). I told my LBS they may as well just order me 5 of those. Details of build below.

Venge Pro
54 cm frame
S-works power arc saddle
Turbo cotton tires (26s)
Dura Ace pedals
Supacaz 18g bottle cages
A stock Venge Pro with DA pedals and bottle cages is only 7.33kg? Really? Is this normal? I thought the S Works with full DA Di2 was 7.3kg + pedals...

andreas

by andreas

parajba wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:17 pm
LBoogie28 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Venge Pro
54 cm frame
S-works power arc saddle
Turbo cotton tires (26s)
Dura Ace pedals
Supacaz 18g bottle cages
A stock Venge Pro with DA pedals and bottle cages is only 7.33kg? Really? Is this normal? I thought the S Works with full DA Di2 was 7.3kg + pedals...
An S-works Venge is supposed to be 7.1 kg w/o pedals in 56. The S-Works has a 90g lighter saddle but a 100g heavier wheelset (CL50 vs CLX64) compared to the pro. The Ultegra Di2 Disc groupset is around 250g heavier than DA Di2 Disc. The guy swapped the saddle for a 100g lighter one on his Venge Pro, so his weight should be something around 7100g - 100g (wheelset) + 250g(Ultegra penalty) + 228g (pedals) + 36g (bottle cages) = 7564g, lets subtract 100g for the smaller frame and maybe from cutting seatpost and steerer tube and you end up at around 7.46kg. The scales people use to weigh the bike probably have a pretty large margin of error as well, I recently read a comparative test of consumer luggage weights where some of them were off by 0.5kg on 20kg, and individual units of the same model varied heavily in accuracy.

Btw, I wonder how these cages would look with the rest of the blingy logos and equipment on the Pro holographic :) Image
https://supacaz.com/product/fly-cage-ano-oil-slick/

parajba

by parajba

Thanks Andreas, very clear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

andreas wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:30 pm
An S-works Venge is supposed to be 7.1 kg w/o pedals in 56. The S-Works has a 90g lighter saddle but a 100g heavier wheelset (CL50 vs CLX64) compared to the pro. The Ultegra Di2 Disc groupset is around 250g heavier than DA Di2 Disc. The guy swapped the saddle for a 100g lighter one on his Venge Pro, so his weight should be something around 7100g - 100g (wheelset) + 250g(Ultegra penalty) + 228g (pedals) + 36g (bottle cages) = 7564g, lets subtract 100g for the smaller frame and maybe from cutting seatpost and steerer tube and you end up at around 7.46kg. The scales people use to weigh the bike probably have a pretty large margin of error as well, I recently read a comparative test of consumer luggage weights where some of them were off by 0.5kg on 20kg, and individual units of the same model varied heavily in accuracy.

Btw, I wonder how these cages would look with the rest of the blingy logos and equipment on the Pro holographic :) Image
https://supacaz.com/product/fly-cage-ano-oil-slick/
That all sounds logical, and I too was a little surprised when we threw the bike on the scale. We had weighed a tarmac pro (with flats) to be 17 lbs on the nose. They eventually put those supacaz “oil slick” bottle cages and head tube cap on that bike. Looks pretty good. I went standard black cages and the power arc I have is also black. Will do my best to post picture shortly.