S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cerro

by cerro

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:19 pm
Here’s to hoping that there is a Venge Expert for even less cause that wasn’t what I was expecting for Pro price.
In Sweden the Venge Vias Expert 2018 is continuing to 2019 so looks like just S-Works and Pro for the new model.

bjarkisb

by bjarkisb

Any news on the weight of the Venge Pro?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blehargh

by blehargh

bjarkisb wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:05 am
From BikeRadar: "All in, a fully built-up 56cm Venge Pro weighs 7.45kg (+/- 100g), approximately 350g more than the S-Works."

Bordcla

by Bordcla

blehargh wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:45 pm
bjarkisb wrote:
From BikeRadar: "All in, a fully built-up 56cm Venge Pro weighs 7.45kg (+/- 100g), approximately 350g more than the S-Works."
Given the similar "frameset" componentry, that would all be on account of:

- CL wheels instead of CLX;
- Ultegra Di2 instead of DA; and
- bits and bobs like a different grade (non-S-Works) saddle,

is this correct?

If so, that is not bad at all!

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

Bordcla wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:34 pm
blehargh wrote:
bjarkisb wrote:

is this correct?

A large part of the 350 g is going to be Ultegra vs. DA. The wheels might be a wash (weight-wise) because the s-works build is sporting the deeper dish (64 vs. 50), but better spokes and hubs. Haven’t looked at th me weight difference in saddle.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 pm
Bordcla wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:34 pm
blehargh wrote:
bjarkisb wrote:

is this correct?

A large part of the 350 g is going to be Ultegra vs. DA. The wheels might be a wash (weight-wise) because the s-works build is sporting the deeper dish (64 vs. 50), but better spokes and hubs. Haven’t looked at th me weight difference in saddle.
The saddle alone is 74g. S-works = 159g, expert = 233g according to Specialized's site.

cerro

by cerro

The S-Works got CLX64, Pro got CL50. 14mm difference in height too so not so much if any weightdifference there.

Got a Venge Pro ordered for me today, if it's correct I will get it next week :D

ttccnn49

by ttccnn49

Just placed my order last night at my LBS in New York City. ordered a black 56, system show there are 32 56cm and 32 54cm in stock, but no 58cm. purple shows late August... so excited to get my new bike.

dznuzz

by dznuzz

My Venge Pro weighed in at ~17.5 lbs (in 54cm, charcoal / rainbow paint scheme) after these modifications:

Swapped BB to a BB30 cartridge
Replaced R8000 Crank with a Quarq DFour with 9000 series 52/36 rings
Installed Stainless Speedplay zeros
2 S-works Carbon cages installed
Garmin mount installed.

Everything else (Bars, stem, saddle, cassette, wheels, tires) are stock.

ScottinFL

by ScottinFL

So how is the bike to ride?

ichobi

by ichobi

Anyone able to order the Venge stem to use with non-venge bike yet? I see lots of you have ordered the bar. Would love to use both stem and bar for the SL6

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

dznuzz wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:17 pm
My Venge Pro weighed in at ~17.5 lbs (in 54cm, charcoal / rainbow paint scheme) after these modifications:

Swapped BB to a BB30 cartridge
Replaced R8000 Crank with a Quarq DFour with 9000 series 52/36 rings
Installed Stainless Speedplay zeros
2 S-works Carbon cages installed
Garmin mount installed.

Everything else (Bars, stem, saddle, cassette, wheels, tires) are stock.
Any chance you got a weight before alterations? It has been reported the 56 cm (as purchased) comes in at 7.45 kg (16.42 lbs). Pedals are about 200 g...the other components total 250 g? What type of mount are you using? Please post some thoughts on the bike after you put some miles on it.

dznuzz

by dznuzz

I believe when I weighed the bike pre-customization it came to about 16.4 lbs but I neglected to write everything down.

I should note that I also replaced the rear derailleur (Ultegra 8050 GS with a Dura Ace 9150 SS, so there were some savings there).

As for the ride characteristics: Definitely a nice ride, especially for an aero bike, but it isn't the equivalent of the new Tarmac (I decided to blow my entire bank account on my swap to dsics so I also got an S-works Tarmac Disc). The Tarmac Disc (With pedals, same cages and a K-Edge Garmin mount) comes in at 15.4 lbs with the CLX 50 wheels and DA cassette (All other things are stock). The bike tends to have a lot more audible chatter than the tarmac and it is not as smooth riding over bad pavement, not necessarily bad (Better when compared to a Felt AR) but it doesn't soak things up like the Tarmac. The handling is still really sharp and I don't get any 'un-easyness' in corners when leaning the bike. Tire clearance is massive, possibly greater than the Tarmac but I haven't done real measurements to confirm

The Garmin mount attached to the Venge is the mount that comes with the bike. The mount is one of the more impressive things about the whole system, it is well integrated, aero, and comes with the pieces necessary to attach any computer (Garmin, Cat-eye, SRM) supports large or small computers, has a GoPro bottom mount and has an attachment to let you strap non-GoPro lights to the bottom.

As for people wondering about the stem: It could easily be installed on any bike, you might need to not use the cable management system on it's underside since it is really designed to tuck the cabling into the headset, but otherwise you could add it to any bike, the only caveat is that it would look strange sitting on top of a non-Venge headset cap since it has a truncated teardrop shape that expends backwards a good bit past the steerer tube.

ScottinFL

by ScottinFL

^^^ Nice real-world comparison with the SL6. This is exactly what I'm interested in learning about as both bikes are on the short list for me. Of course, in Florida, we don't have much for hills, so the Venge makes more sense for the aero aspect of it, but the comfort, weight, etc. of the new Tarmac seems almost legendary from everything you read. I just hate the exposed cables. Other bikes on the short list are Madone SLR, BMC Teammachine SLR01, and the new Timemachine Road (all are disc/di2 with integrated cockpits).

ichobi

by ichobi

Dznuzz

Are you sure the bike comes with srm mount? That's my real concern. When I was at the press camp specialized mentioned they aren't making srm mount for the stem which kinda put me off a bit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com