S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:41 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:31 am
At the end of the day having a stem that is not flipable is kind of a dealbreaker, isn’t it? Are longer (e.g. 120mm) stems available for popular 54cm and 56cm frames? It doesn’t look like it
www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/equipmen ... ms/c/stems
How exactly this combo is versatile next to one-piece? Am I missing something?
dealbreaker? No, not for me it isn't. You're talking about two completely different things... flipping a stem, isn't a small change, its actually a pretty big change in terms of where it puts the bars. Much more so then simply moving it down a 5mm spacer. Then, on the other hand, you're talking about swapping for length, which results in needing to buya new stem anyway, so its not saving any money. IMO, you're looking for an argument that isn't there and trying to make a bigger deal out of something than it should be. Is there some loss of adjustability not being able to flip the stem? Sure, it is a sacrifice, but allows the designers/engineers to design a stem that cleanly integrates the cables and hydro hoses keeping the cockpit clean... and allows the bike to be more easily worked on than previous models. Its a compromise and there are always compromises.
I'm not looking for an argument but simply bringing up the facts. So, we have a stem, which can't be flipped, right? We are stuck with 100mm stem for most popular frame size (e.g. 54cm and 56cm). Longer is stem is not available, right? www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/equipmen ... ms/c/stems
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Pretty sure you can (or will be able to, in the near future) buy the stems/handlebars through the Specialized dealer.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I think you're getting caught up on the fact that its not listed on the site right now... the bike just came out. It is perfectly understandable that every single spare part might not be listed on the website immediately. I have no doubt in my mind that stems of all sizes will be listed soon.

Stueys

by Stueys

Anyone seen any decent reviews or have any ride feedback yet? I was eyeing up an SL6 disc but I’m struggling to see any compromises with getting a Venge now.

taodemon

by taodemon

Stueys wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:30 pm
Anyone seen any decent reviews or have any ride feedback yet? I was eyeing up an SL6 disc but I’m struggling to see any compromises with getting a Venge now.
If you are interested in disc and the higher weight and cost isn't an issue I would lean venge but then I just went with a rim sl6 frame for those same exact factors. Supposedly the new venge feels more like a tarmac which is a good thing. Your typical riding terrain could be a factor too.

https://pelotonmagazine.com/gear/re-ven ... rks-venge/

dvq

by dvq

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:52 am
I think you're getting caught up on the fact that its not listed on the site right now... the bike just came out. It is perfectly understandable that every single spare part might not be listed on the website immediately. I have no doubt in my mind that stems of all sizes will be listed soon.
Special integration parts are typically not listed on the website, they aren't even in the dealer catalog. Your dealer contacts warranty and support at Specialized and requests the parts. This would be exactly like the vias stem and bars, you couldn't order them online but they came in a variety of sizes -- all of which are listed in the installation manual. Likely if it's anything like the Venge Vias they'll have stems from 70mm to 140mm.

Stueys

by Stueys

taodemon wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:32 pm
Stueys wrote:
If you are interested in disc and the higher weight and cost isn't an issue I would lean venge but then I just went with a rim sl6 frame for those same exact factors. Supposedly the new venge feels more like a tarmac which is a good thing. Your typical riding terrain could be a factor too.

Thanks, a good read. Cost is a good point, disc I’m not seeing a reason not to now other than the wheel investment. But I’ve got to bite the bullet at some point.

taodemon

by taodemon

Stueys wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:52 pm
taodemon wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:32 pm
Stueys wrote:

Thanks, a good read. Cost is a good point, disc I’m not seeing a reason not to now other than the wheel investment. But I’ve got to bite the bullet at some point.
Yeah, I'm sure I'll be on disc eventually but wasn't ready to do wheels plus new shifters on top of a new frame just now.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

mpulsiv wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
At the end of the day having a stem that is not flipable is kind of a dealbreaker, isn’t it? Are longer (e.g. 120mm) stems available for popular 54cm and 56cm frames? It doesn’t look like it
dealbreaker? No, not for me it isn't. You're talking about two completely different things... flipping a stem, isn't a small change, its actually a pretty big change in terms of where it puts the bars. Much more so then simply moving it down a 5mm spacer. Then, on the other hand, you're talking about swapping for length, which results in needing to buya new stem anyway, so its not saving any money. IMO, you're looking for an argument that isn't there and trying to make a bigger deal out of something than it should be. Is there some loss of adjustability not being able to flip the stem? Sure, it is a sacrifice, but allows the designers/engineers to design a stem that cleanly integrates the cables and hydro hoses keeping the cockpit clean... and allows the bike to be more easily worked on than previous models. Its a compromise and there are always compromises.
I'm not looking for an argument but simply bringing up the facts. So, we have a stem, which can't be flipped, right? We are stuck with 100mm stem for most popular frame size (e.g. 54cm and 56cm). Longer is stem is not available, right? www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/equipmen ... ms/c/stems
You really have nothing better to do with your day do you, your "I do it this way so you must too" attitude is getting boring. Did you not see the list of bar/stem part numbers above? They aren't online the same as many other specific items aren't. You want them, you contact a dealer and get them. If you need a +6 stem you need a different bike or just giraffe stack them like many vias owners did. Bar width doesnt change? I have different width bars on my bikes and spares at home to swap to if the mood takes me which i do more often than many, I have experimented quite a bit over the last 12-18 months and it rules out something like a Madone as they dont do a 38/120-130 combo and the bar shape doesnt work for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:45 pm
Why didn’t they think of one piece handlebar to complete the integration? In this case, what’s the point of having a stem, if you can’t flip it?
Seriously? Far, far, far more people want/need different length stems than need positive angle stems, more people want the 'odd' length/width combinations that most integrated cockpit manufacturers can't justify producing than want a flipped up stem, and more people want to be able to fine tune bar angle than want to flip the stem angle.

Like, the ability to run a positive stem on a freakin' sprinter's aero bike is literally the least important factor there is in deciding whether to go integrated or seperate. And if you really do need to ride it positive you can just get a normal stem. OK, a small length of cable will be exposed, but that's a tiny drag penalty compared to what you're giving up by sitting upright :P

themidge

by themidge

The problem with integrated bar and stem combos is that the bars often get wider as the stems get longer, which not everyone wants. Also, you can't do what you might normally do with a new bike which is get 2 or 3 stems to try out different lengths, instead you have to swap out the entire combo, which is much more hassle what with bar tape and shifter placement etc.

morganb

by morganb

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:03 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
You really have nothing better to do with your day do you, your "I do it this way so you must too" attitude is getting boring. Did you not see the list of bar/stem part numbers above? They aren't online the same as many other specific items aren't. You want them, you contact a dealer and get them. If you need a +6 stem you need a different bike or just giraffe stack them like many vias owners did. Bar width doesnt change? I have different width bars on my bikes and spares at home to swap to if the mood takes me which i do more often than many, I have experimented quite a bit over the last 12-18 months and it rules out something like a Madone as they dont do a 38/120-130 combo and the bar shape doesnt work for me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
I'm in the same boat, been riding 'traditional' frames instead of aero frames because I run 120/38cm on most bikes and that hasn't been an option. The new Madone and Venge do have that available though.

shn750

by shn750

endershan wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:11 pm
shn750 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:06 am
Can anyone confirm if the 6 degree stem that comes with the bike is a -6 or a +6 stem?
mine came with a -6 degree stem.

Warning: Sagan paintjob is super heavy!
Mine weighs 7.75kg
, some information:
1. Frame size 56;
2. 100mm -6 degree stem, with Garmin and Gopro mount
3. Dura-Ace R9170 components with 11-28t cassette, CeramicSpeed pulley cage, S-Works carbon crankarm, S-Works powermeter, Shimano 7900 53/39t chainrings, F160/R140 rotors
4. Shimano PRO Vibe Carbon 440mm
5. Specialized S-Warp HD bar tape
6. Roval CLX 50 Disc wheelset with Schwable Pro One tubeless 25mm, no inner tubes, 30ml sealant each wheel
7. S-works Romin Evo 155mm saddle
8. weighed with bottle cage, without SWAT tools
Congrats on your awesome Venge. Would it be possible for you to measure your spacers used on your frame? What is the distance from the top of your headtube to the bottom of the stem.

Thanks
Steve

AJS914

by AJS914

The green Venge Sagan was riding today looked prety aweseome - better than the special edition they are currently selling IMO.

L3X

by L3X

Agree, the green one was awesome!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com