S-Works Venge 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, no way that’s a “flippable” stem.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I hadn't even thought about that fact that everything's built in and how that would effect the flipping. Looking at pics though, I'd guess -6... a positive 6 stem really looks upward.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Why didn’t they think of one piece handlebar to complete the integration? In this case, what’s the point of having a stem, if you can’t flip it?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

one peice handlebar/stem means that you can't switch widths of bar as easily, you're also forced to use the Specialized bars. The design and integration of the cables is actually pretty good, while still allowing lots of fit options and keeping it easy to work on, both of which were negatives on the ViAS.

davidodem

by davidodem

Great news for me!! I was able to secure a 54 Sagan Venge complete build.

Question, Do I really need the 64mm wheels? The bike shop is willing to trade them out for 50mm (currently what I'm riding with). Now I do live in Miami so all flats here but we do have lots of crosswinds and even with my 50's, I can feel it.

Any thoughts?
Teal Sagan Venge

TonyM

by TonyM

50 front, 64 rear?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

CrankAddictsRich wrote:one peice handlebar/stem means that you can't switch widths of bar as easily, you're also forced to use the Specialized bars. The design and integration of the cables is actually pretty good, while still allowing lots of fit options and keeping it easy to work on, both of which were negatives on the ViAS.
Handlebar width is something you measure once and forget it for next 10 years. Over the years, one could become more flexible and certainly play with stem angle, reach and stack but handlebar width remain static. I speak from direct experience.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:27 am
CrankAddictsRich wrote:one peice handlebar/stem means that you can't switch widths of bar as easily, you're also forced to use the Specialized bars. The design and integration of the cables is actually pretty good, while still allowing lots of fit options and keeping it easy to work on, both of which were negatives on the ViAS.
Handlebar width is something you measure once and forget it for next 10 years. Over the years, one could become more flexible and certainly play with stem angle, reach and stack but handlebar width remain static. I speak from direct experience.
That's your own personal experience.. and while its certainly true that some people may stick with one width, it's also true that others may not... Some people have swapped to bars that are more narrow to get more aero. I speak form direct experience.

In any case, whether or not people do or do not swap bar widths, they do indeed play with stem angle, reach, and stack, which only further answers your question above, as to why they didn't design them as a 1 piece unit.

Jugi

by Jugi

mpulsiv wrote:
But what if one has peculiar needs?

If I was on the market for an aero bike, an integrated bar+stem combo would probably be a deal killer for me. I understand the proprietary stem approach, if it is meant to work with the head tube. However I ride a handlebar one size narrower than usually suggested and a standard length stem, that usually means a change in bar width in a bike standing at a showroom. Further still, a bar with a 6° flare on the drops and compact dimensions feel like it is custom made for me. Everything else feels much less than ideal. Like was mentioned some posts ago in this thread, Specialized has decided not to manufacture a flared version of the Aerofly. On top of all this, I like to reserve some angle adjustment on my bars to have the angle just how I like it.

If a bike is sold with a proprietary integrated bar+stem combination with limited options for dimensions, all changes to that configuration sound like a lot of extra cash to spend. For a premium bike, I demand premium ergonomics or at least the possibility for fine adjustment.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
That's your own personal experience.. and while its certainly true that some people may stick with one width, it's also true that others may not... Some people have swapped to bars that are more narrow to get more aero. I speak form direct experience.

In any case, whether or not people do or do not swap bar widths, they do indeed play with stem angle, reach, and stack, which only further answers your question above, as to why they didn't design them as a 1 piece unit.
I don’t disagree but how frequently can someone swap bars? For example, going from 40mm -> 42mm is something significant and vise versa. It either works for someone or it doesn’t. You set and forget! There’s no grey zone, where you can micro adjust your seatpost, remove 5mm spacer from headtube or move saddle back by ~5mm.

At the end of the day having a stem that is not flipable is kind of a dealbreaker, isn’t it? Are longer (e.g. 120mm) stems available for popular 54cm and 56cm frames? It doesn’t look like it
www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/equipmen ... ms/c/stems
How exactly this combo is versatile next to one-piece? Am I missing something?

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:31 am
At the end of the day having a stem that is not flipable is kind of a dealbreaker, isn’t it? Are longer (e.g. 120mm) stems available for popular 54cm and 56cm frames? It doesn’t look like it
www.specialized.com/us/en/shop/equipmen ... ms/c/stems
How exactly this combo is versatile next to one-piece? Am I missing something?
dealbreaker? No, not for me it isn't. You're talking about two completely different things... flipping a stem, isn't a small change, its actually a pretty big change in terms of where it puts the bars. Much more so then simply moving it down a 5mm spacer. Then, on the other hand, you're talking about swapping for length, which results in needing to buya new stem anyway, so its not saving any money. IMO, you're looking for an argument that isn't there and trying to make a bigger deal out of something than it should be. Is there some loss of adjustability not being able to flip the stem? Sure, it is a sacrifice, but allows the designers/engineers to design a stem that cleanly integrates the cables and hydro hoses keeping the cockpit clean... and allows the bike to be more easily worked on than previous models. Its a compromise and there are always compromises.

TiCass

by TiCass

IMHO, if you need to flip a stem, thats because you're not on the right frame size and / or geometry.
But hey, gotta ride what pros are ridding!

spartan

by spartan

do we have any real world weights for a frame/fork on the interwebs?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Sock3t

by Sock3t

endershan wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:11 pm
shn750 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:06 am
Can anyone confirm if the 6 degree stem that comes with the bike is a -6 or a +6 stem?
mine came with a -6 degree stem.

Warning: Sagan paintjob is super heavy!
Mine weighs 7.75kg
, some information:
1. Frame size 56;
2. 100mm -6 degree stem, with Garmin and Gopro mount
3. Dura-Ace R9170 components with 11-28t cassette, CeramicSpeed pulley cage, S-Works carbon crankarm, S-Works powermeter, Shimano 7900 53/39t chainrings, F160/R140 rotors
4. Shimano PRO Vibe Carbon 440mm
5. Specialized S-Warp HD bar tape
6. Roval CLX 50 Disc wheelset with Schwable Pro One tubeless 25mm, no inner tubes, 30ml sealant each wheel
7. S-works Romin Evo 155mm saddle
8. weighed with bottle cage, without SWAT tools
That bike is gorgeous.

Jugi

by Jugi

TiCass wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:18 pm
IMHO, if you need to flip a stem, thats because you're not on the right frame size and / or geometry.
But hey, gotta ride what pros are ridding!
+ it would be a crime against humanity to ride a bike like the Venge with a positive angle stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com