Broken Wilier Cento10AIR Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jackc

by jackc

So a group of my friend went to Taiwan for bike touring and the most unfortunate thing happend on day one: one of them fell and broke the frame. But most astoundingly, I was told that before my friend hit the ground they were only traveling at 10km/h and this happened! It is quite disappointed to see such an expensive bike frame broke so easily.....

DarthKrutall

by DarthKrutall

Needs to be a bit more context to this, it’s like the frame has been bent in half. Just not sure how a 10km stack could cause this type of damage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My Vision Metron 5D integrated bar cracked on my 5-month old Bianchi Oltre XR4. Shit happens. What matters now is how the company handles the warranty issue. A buddy of mine cracked the integrated saetpost on his two-year-old Cipolinni bike and got the finger from Marco and his crappy company. Bianchi, so far, seems to be handling the issue well. Good luck with the replacement frame!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

silvalis

by silvalis

Yep. 3 clear marks in a straight line across the frame. I'd guess that the 10kph stack was onto a kerb.
Chasse patate

sychen

by sychen

Nothing like 2nd/3rd hand information posted onto a forum to convict a bike company of poor design/production.

60-80kg falling across a carbon frame at the wrong angle onto somthing .. you could be coming to a stop and still cause major damage like this.

Terrible for your friend.. but not much Wilier going to do unless you have a manufacturing flaw... which doesn't looks to be the case.
Wear and tear.. and hopefully they have some crash replacement policy or your friend having insurance.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Noctiluxx wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:27 am
My Vision Metron 5D integrated bar cracked on my 5-month old Bianchi Oltre XR4. Shit happens. What matters now is how the company handles the warranty issue. A buddy of mine cracked the integrated saetpost on his two-year-old Cipolinni bike and got the finger from Marco and his crappy company. Bianchi, so far, seems to be handling the issue well. Good luck with the replacement frame!
yours is a warranty issue... the wilier is a crash replacement at best
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

So a group of my friend went to Taiwan for bike touring... one of them fell and broke the frame.
1) Perhaps the packed bike was badly handled by the airport staff? Maybe it wasn't packed sufficiently well?
2) Did the rider fall then the frame broke, or the frame cracked first resulting in the fall?

BikeKingV1r

by BikeKingV1r

Yup crash replacement for sure. I would get with the shop you purchased it from too and see if they have any pull to help things along. GL

Oznerol

by Oznerol

sychen wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:27 am
Nothing like 2nd/3rd hand information posted onto a forum to convict a bike company of poor design/production.

60-80kg falling across a carbon frame at the wrong angle onto somthing .. you could be coming to a stop and still cause major damage like this.

Terrible for your friend.. but not much Wilier going to do unless you have a manufacturing flaw... which doesn't looks to be the case.
Wear and tear.. and hopefully they have some crash replacement policy or your friend having insurance.
It's like saying I dropped my Rolex onto concrete from only 3 feet. Doesn't matter how far, or how fast you're going -- you're going to be exerting forces to the frame in ways that it was not designed to withstand.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Just speculation based on one photo, but that doesn’t look like damage from one 10km/hr crash. Looks like a significant impact to the fork/head tube (it delaminated in at least two places). The 10km/hr crash might have just been the final break.

I wouldn’t put it past an airline to smash something into the bike bag.

Too bad, though. Riding in Taiwan looks amazing.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not to be rude, but i really don't believe he "just fell" at 10km/h.
What did he crash into is more interesting.
Nope, not a chance you get a new frame on warranty..
As mentioned above, crash replacement perhaps
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kode54

by kode54

well, he could've fallen on top of the frame while on its side. that kinda impact would surely put the breaks like in the picture (given that the handlebar was on its end). but like others have said...could be initially cracked while in the bike bag from the plane ride. they just throw those bags over each other.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Yeah, this will likely end up in a crash replacement.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

petepeterson

by petepeterson

JRA!!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com