Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I got an email earlier this week that my seatpost went into production and will come with the new clamping system. Curious to see for myself!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mep

by Mep

NiFTY wrote:If you have a look the contact area of any round yoke( parts of passion, ax lightness, 3t doric, s works from sl4 era, darimo setback) the contact area is much smaller that this dyneema loop. I can't see that cutting into the rails will be an issue.
Not sure I follow. Here's a photo of the AX yoke, it's at least 4-5mm wide. I have the Schmolke TLO style yokes, also attached and those are also at least 4-5mm wide. The width of the dyneema loop isn't wider than 4-5mm, is it?

In any case I'm really looking forward to hearing how this holds up in the longer term. Real interesting innovation tends to beget questions.
20180814_114734_001-e1534855220629.jpeg
1a543cda36.jpeg

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The width of the yoke is 4mm. But the shape is a cylinder. Rest a cyclinder on the ground. What proportion of the width is actually touching. Very little. Same with a cars tyre. A 19 inch tyre is making contact over an inch.(and it is softer and more deformable than an alloy yoke)
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I’m with you on this nifty. What you say makes sense to me the yoke May be rind so there is no edges to cut in but the pressure is concentrated to a small arc
BB

Coffee & carbon

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not sure i understand the thing about a "joke".
But for sure such as Syntace P6, MCFK (basically 100% copy of Syntace) and Bike Ahead offer much less restricted fore/after movement due to the top part design.
Also a broader contact than Darimo, Ax aso.
This means a longer range of usage of saddle rails (better)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

flying

by flying

I have a feeling this attachment method will be looked back on the same as drillium :roll:

uraqt

by uraqt

That is so funny this morning before I rode to thought the oposite... all the post makes will go this way as it's cheaper in the long run... I also agree with bigger contact area side ......if it's done right it's a significant desgin improvement .. but I'm just guessing! Somebody here will do the math and then we will know...

C

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

When it comes to contact points, we need to remember that it depends on the two pieces of carbon in contact. Darimo for example made carbon yokes with a curvature that would be designed to be ideal for the average rail, but no two rails are the same. There is no standard, and every piece of carbon can have variances in curvature, and this contact surface area. No two carbon saddles will have the same contact area.

By using a “rope” you now have a contact point that conforms to the saddle shape. Calculating the surface area of such a contact is probably useless as force will not be equal on different parts of the rail. The question will simply be if it works or not. Like all things weight weenie, i just would not be on the heaview end of the scale. That being said, i could see it being easy to double up on threads, or using a thicker gauge of thread.

mattr

by mattr

NiFTY wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:03 am
Same with a cars tyre. A 19 inch tyre is making contact over an inch.(and it is softer and more deformable than an alloy yoke)
Possibly the worst example ever. A typical 19" tyre probably has a contact patch about 7" wide and 5" long.

RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:03 pm
By using a “rope” you now have a contact point that conforms to the saddle shape. Calculating the surface area of such a contact is probably useless as force will not be equal on different parts of the rail. The question will simply be if it works or not. Like all things weight weenie, i just would not be on the heaview end of the scale. That being said, i could see it being easy to double up on threads, or using a thicker gauge of thread.
The other thing to bear in mind is that not only will the cord conform round the upper diameter of the saddle rail, the lower surface of the thread will flatten out. Effectively giving a D shape, lying on it's back.
So a 2mm cord wrapped over a 7mm dia rail might give a total contact surface of 25-30sqmm, a 4mm wide machined yoke, if it matches the curve of the rail perfectly, might get 16-20sqmm. If the radius is more than about 0,2 of a mm out you either have to crush the rail, bend the yoke or half the contact area.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

flying wrote:I have a feeling this attachment method will be looked back on the same as drillium :roll:
I’m with @flying on this one. Even in their demo video they can’t make this look like a easy simple operation. I find getting the exact saddle setup to be a lot of trial and error... setting, testing, adjust, repeat, repeat, repeat until it’s perfect. Loosening off the ropes each time to make a minor adjustment, with the possibility of those ropes “jumping” their guides in the process and having to use your temporary elastic bands to hold everything in place again to attach and retighten the ropes with only two hands and 10 fingers. In the meantime, the saddle has now had a chance to move way away from the position you wanted to just make a micro change from and now it’s a crap shoot as to where you wanted to get it to when you began the micro adjust. And I’d like to see that video redone with a saddle that doesn’t have so much “daylight” around it. Even with that saddle in the video, with about as much access to everything as you could possibly get in a saddle, it still looks like a real faffabout. Let’s try that again with a more substantial saddle, with sides almost down to the the rails etc. And at the end of the day, I’d still prefer more surface area at the clamp points distributing the forces more evenly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Got the price for a single clamp kit, it's 40.5€ without VAT.

marcelflash

by marcelflash

I have it on order, should be here in 2 days. I do not see a problem in the installation (maybe i use tape to stabilize the saddle and craddle)
Had some sliding of the carbon triangles until I used a little bit of Locktide and one Nm tighter. Hope the Dyneema loop is more stable when I ride on the front of the nose and the screw was unwinding because of less tension.

Darmen

by Darmen

Klaster_1 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:21 am
whats included for 40.5€ kit?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Darmen wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 am
Klaster_1 wrote:
The kit is up on the R2 Bike site now, 2 loops, 2 flanged barrel nuts & 1 carbon rocker.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Darmen

by Darmen

beanbiken wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:56 am
Darmen wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:19 am
Klaster_1 wrote:
The kit is up on the R2 Bike site now, 2 loops, 2 flanged barrel nuts & 1 carbon rocker.

BB
I can find it on google but when i click its gone :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com