Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NiFTY

by NiFTY

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:32 pm
Agreed that small carbon shops can do a better job at shaving grams. BUT except we are not talking about a few grams but a 35% weight savings (assuming a 70g. savings off of a 200g. bar). So this begs the question- what are you giving up to lose that much weight? We all know that there's no free lunch.

NiFTY- are you keeping your Ulna or are you tempted to get the Darimo? As for me personally I'd like to wait a bit and see how these bars fare in the wild. From my experience I've see uber-light carbon parts experience weight creep after the initial introduction. This tells me that the initial product was too light for whatever reason. Let's see what happens here on the Darimo in a few months....
Keeping my ulnas. I think the stiffness is untested. For all my faith i don't like being a beta tester. Plus i like flare and ulna has less drop which suits my small trumpian hands. I do have a t2 and was one of the first and am impressed with the weight and quality. A 20gram reduction is not enough for me to sell my brand new ulnas which are to be honest fantastic bars
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

mag wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:38 am
They weigh ~25g (~20%) less than Schmolke TLOs which have also more reach and drop. Not impossible, though definitely impressive. And we don't know anything about how much they really flex or what will be their rate of failures in the real world conditions.
Yeah, all theoretical right now, but the bars are raited to 110kg. Impressive claims. But is the iso standard based on cracking or deflection? You could in theory have a bar that withstands 200kg, but deflects 12 inches in doing so if it is purely based on failure. Hahaha.

I speculate that part of the gains in lightness (presumably without loss of stiffness) darimo found over schmolke was found in the shorter reach and drop. Less material. And i suspect meterials/process has marginally advanced since the tlo was first designed.

Weight losses could also be as simple as a thinner finish coat! Who knows.

The shorter reach and shorter drop is probably also how darimo can maintain appropriate stiffness despite the weight loss. Shorter tubes of carbon flex less.
Last edited by RocketRacing on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

NiFTY wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:22 am
A 20gram reduction is not enough for me to sell my brand new ulnas which are to be honest fantastic bars
I think you would be crazy to swap... or very very committed (no pun intended) to weight loss.

I am swapping out a 3t ergonova team so i expect 70-80g of benefit. I am also getting a custom 12k top to match my bike frame (did the same with my t1 post, and berk saddle), so my choices are also bred in customization and cosmetics. I’ll take the lightness too!

Funny, my wife still thinks a new set of bars is crazy to lose 60g. But her bike is 50lbs, and I never claimed to be sane. Hahaha

Either way, my 400mm darimo bars and 4.5g seatpost clamp are paid and ordered. I will report back when they arrive. Hopefully before the snow falls... hopefully with a full mouth of teeth.

After two darimo posts (1 for road, one for xc) and one set of darimo mountain bike bars... everything has been flawless and exceeded expectations. I am past the “oh crap will this break on me, how could it be so light” point.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I recently went from an Ergonova Team to an Ulna, dropping 41g. in the process (189g. to 148g.). Then the Darimo came out. Losing another 20g. is tempting however I really like Ulna’s stiffness over the Ergonova, and I don’t really want to lose the extra stiffness of the Ulna. Although I don’t sprint, the Ulna feels fantastic when climbing out of the saddle. The weight loss and stiffness gain of the Ulna over the Ergonova partly came from an increase in cross section on the horizontal part of the bar. It would be interesting to see the real weight of the delivered Darimo and its stiffness in comparison of the Ergonova.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:51 am
Either way, my 400mm darimo bars and 4.5g seatpost clamp are paid and ordered.
You are like my twin, funny how a bunch of people end up with same components and make similar choices. I also run T1/Alien on XC bike, T1/Berk on road and am swapping Ergonova to Ellipse with a custom clamp on top. Says a lot about product quality and attractiveness, I guess.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:24 am
I recently went from an Ergonova Team to an Ulna, dropping 41g. in the process (189g. to 148g.). Then the Darimo came out. Losing another 20g. is tempting however I really like Ulna’s stiffness over the Ergonova, and I don’t really want to lose the extra stiffness of the Ulna. Although I don’t sprint, the Ulna feels fantastic when climbing out of the saddle. The weight loss and stiffness gain of the Ulna over the Ergonova partly came from an increase in cross section on the horizontal part of the bar. It would be interesting to see the real weight of the delivered Darimo and its stiffness in comparison of the Ergonova.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup. I have the ergonova team also. It is almost a semi aero profile over the tops, and i keep them unwrapped. Great all round bar really. Light, good cable routing, comfortable. The flex it was was never noticalbe to me in a ride, but the drops were always comfy. I hope the darimo has similar stiffness.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:12 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:51 am
Either way, my 400mm darimo bars and 4.5g seatpost clamp are paid and ordered.
You are like my twin, funny how a bunch of people end up with same components and make similar choices. I also run T1/Alien on XC bike, T1/Berk on road and am swapping Ergonova to Ellipse with a custom clamp on top. Says a lot about product quality and attractiveness, I guess.
Haha. Yup. I am pondering a berk lupina for my xc bike as the alien is a bit stiff. Berk sent me a 3k instead of a ud by mistake for my cyclocross bike... and the 3k matches the darimo stuff on my xc bike. Plus the lupina’s long rails is perfect for the t1 post which has a large clamping area. The long rails allow you to keep a negative offset and preserve my bike position.

i just figure the 150mm wide lupina might be a better fit for more upright xc... or the new berk dila in 140mm (assuming it is not too stiff). Decisions. I am in discussion with berk for his opinion.

Right now my plan is for berk saddles on all my bikes (7x9 rails... skip the round rails), and darimo seatposts and bars. If the darimo road bar is a good match for my tastes... my cyclocross bike will get a matching one too!

Vuong05

by Vuong05

I don't crank on my bars like the bigger/stronger dudes, but I'm curious to see real life testing when a few of our forum members get these new Darimo bars in hand. I'm coming from a 3T Ergosum team stealth bar, so the weight reduction will be significant for me. More options is always a good thing in my eyes.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

refthimos

by refthimos

My Darimo T2 SB seatpost is gorgeous and an engineering marvel, but I find that my saddle (Stealth Pro Carbon) slides back in the clamp over time. Paste, correct torque, but it still moves back. I wonder if the design and spec'd torque create enough of a grab to keep the saddle in place. I could torque it more but not sure that would help and don't want to break the thing.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

RZack89

by RZack89

Sorry, has this handlebar the space enough for the hydraulic tubes?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

RZack89 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:20 am
Sorry, has this handlebar the space enough for the hydraulic tubes?
Don't have any experience with discs but I don't think there are too many of these bars in the wild yet. I have them ordered but not aware that they are even built with DI2 ports yet...........may need to be a little more patient.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

C36

by C36

RZack89 wrote:Sorry, has this handlebar the space enough for the hydraulic tubes?
Ask Damià... he will answer in few days.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I just asked and will report back. Darimo obviously had me at 122g. 😁

Here is my custom 280mm T1 seatpost in 12k to hold me over. The bars in 12k will look sick...

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Great to see that bunch of matching components in 12k weave, looks awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Here's the answer regarding handlebar drilling:
Darimo wrote:We make custom handlebar one by one, then we can adapt and make specifically reinforcements and specifically drillings where the client needs. The drillings will be only for DI2 routing. The cables must go outside. If you only need one cable will be perfect as it will inside the grooves. Two cables can even go, but not as perfect fit. The groove can fit an hydraulic cable too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com