Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Ah, I see how it works. It is one continuous loop, it is looped over the threaded nut then winds it way over the saddle rails to finally loop over the threaded nut a second time so no breaks/cuts required. Not sure if I like it but hey just shows the sort of things that can be achieved with Damia’s lateral thinking. Impressive

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

DeiviX

by DeiviX

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Pretty wild

themidge

by themidge

Even the tutorial video makes it look fiddly.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

This is great! I'll trust it with my life. seeing I have trusted other woven pieces of dyneema with my life in the past and the fact that you can make pretty wild falls in it while rock climbing, I can only advice you guys to trust it as well.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Mep

by Mep

Dyneema is certainly a strong fiber by itself, but wouldn't it cut through the carbon seat rails given its narrow contact area? Or at least require constant readjustment so it doesn't slice into the rails.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I could see a few new applications for this material, like on the stem and lever clamps :D

MichaelK

by MichaelK

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:30 pm
I could see a few new applications for this material, like on the stem and lever clamps :D
Seatpost clamps too!

C36

by C36

Mep wrote:Dyneema is certainly a strong fiber by itself, but wouldn't it cut through the carbon seat rails given its narrow contact area? Or at least require constant readjustment so it doesn't slice into the rails.
Cut like a “saw” no, here you won’t have movement.
Punch due to local excess contact pressure, I am not sure at all we have less contact than some existing aluminium clamps, first the rope perfectly adjust to the rail shape, then the contact surface covers 180 degrees, finally the rope is wrapped twice around the rails (more contact area).
Finally the bigger stress the rails sees, is not on the rope contact side (on top) but on the rocker (lower side).

The unknown is the stretch over time... never worked with this fiber before.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by C36 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

The loops look less fidley than most systems. The runber bands look tricky. I think i will just get my wife to hold the saddle.

I have my name in for this setup. It will be a few months before i can test it. Still, the centre cradle supports the weight, the rails just hold it in place. If anything, this should be easier on rails as there are no sharp edges, and it wraps around.

I have aslo inquired about new stems which appear to be in development...

DeiviX

by DeiviX

I've been testing it since September and without problems. Not a single movement of saddle.

Mep

by Mep

C36 wrote:
Mep wrote:Dyneema is certainly a strong fiber by itself, but wouldn't it cut through the carbon seat rails given its narrow contact area? Or at least require constant readjustment so it doesn't slice into the rails.
Cut like a “saw” no, you won’t have movement.
Punch due to local excess contact pressure, I am not sure at all we have less contact than some existing hard clamp, first the rope perfectly adjust to the rail shape, then the contact surface covers 180 degrees, finally the rope is wrapped twice around the rails (more contact area).
Finally the bigger stress the rails sees, is not on the rope contact (on top) but on the rocker.

The unknown is the stretch over time... never worked with this fiver before.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Only time will tell... I look forward to seeing the reviews after some folks graciously test out this system over an extended period.

Mep

by Mep

DeiviX wrote:I've been testing it since September and without problems. Not a single movement of saddle.
That's great to hear. Have you removed the loop to see if it's scored your rails at all?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

If you have a look the contact area of any round yoke( parts of passion, ax lightness, 3t doric, s works from sl4 era, darimo setback) the contact area is much smaller that this dyneema loop. I can't see that cutting into the rails will be an issue.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;