Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Yes agree with what you are saying in regards to 2 or 3 holes. Unsure whether I will actually use the 3rd, I’ll set them up and make the call on which seems neatest. No couldn’t see any internal structure or ribbing. Bar ends arevey thin but where the DI2 holes are it is quite think. I have another set of the 3T LTD bars currently not being used and did the “try to crush them test” and the Darimo’s did feel marginally stiffer. But stuff all in it.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My THM Ulna’s bar ends are also very thin. In fact it’s so thin light can actually pass through them. This is where some weight is saved.

I have an impression that these lightweight bars (Darimo, THM) use very high modulus carbon. High modulus carbon is very stiff but also very brittle compared to the lower modulus counterpart. So my guess is that these bars are not very survivable in a crash. This is not something I worry about but rather just to highlight the fact that there’s no free lunch when it comes to lightweight parts-compromises must be made.

When you install the shift levers make sure to not over tighten the clamps. I was very careful when installing mine. These bars are likely very brittle and too much compression can crack it. The same goes for stem clamps and computer mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Yes agree on all accounts. Carbon paste and a gentle hand on the torque wrench is definitely needed here. Just discovered that if I want to have 2 cables pass through the 1 hole (as I will need to to use the 3rd hole) I’m going to need to ovalise the hole slightly. I did mention this to Damia but seems to have been forgotten, no biggie.....

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

danbjpa

by danbjpa

DeiviX wrote: Damià plans to manufacture the 38mm (...)
Thanks Deivi! I did a comment in his IG and he say it too.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

So my 40cm bar is mounted and the difference between it and the Schmolke I was riding is huge! Mainly due the shape of the Darimo fits me better, drop reach etc. I've only done one 12km commute this morning on it but the difference was instant, but as I said, that's mainly down to the shape more than anything. It looks great with the MCFK stem. I haven't got pics yet but will get some this week. I did one traffic light sprint on the drops and felt no flex, but I'm not a watt monster so it's perfect for me. The tops were comfy and the bar diameter is great for my small hands.

I'm running Lizard Skins 1.8 black tape and that felt great with the crappy road surfaces we have around here. I'll get out at lunch and do some more on them to see how they feel descending.

My LBS that fitted it couldn't get the BTP carbon clamps to fit though, they were too loose. In trying to get them clamp they sheared the bolt on one of them and broke the damn thing!! Gutted.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I opted to swap my order for the 380mm bars, which should go into production in the new year.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

dereksmalls wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:52 pm
So my 40cm bar is mounted and the difference between it and the Schmolke I was riding is huge! Mainly due the shape of the Darimo fits me better, drop reach etc. I've only done one 12km commute this morning on it but the difference was instant, but as I said, that's mainly down to the shape more than anything. It looks great with the MCFK stem. I haven't got pics yet but will get some this week. I did one traffic light sprint on the drops and felt no flex, but I'm not a watt monster so it's perfect for me. The tops were comfy and the bar diameter is great for my small hands.

I'm running Lizard Skins 1.8 black tape and that felt great with the crappy road surfaces we have around here. I'll get out at lunch and do some more on them to see how they feel descending.

My LBS that fitted it couldn't get the BTP carbon clamps to fit though, they were too loose. In trying to get them clamp they sheared the bolt on one of them and broke the damn thing!! Gutted.
Weather permitting I hope to get out this weekend and I'll post some impressions......

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

ImageImageImage

So the flat top isn’t as flat as my Zipp Contour but that’s ok. Descending felt awesome. So glad I waited to get this bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeiviX

by DeiviX

News!!
ImageImageImageImage
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsxVCriHks ... gab5x5o36n
in the Velofollies you can see live

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

DeiviX wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:45 am
News!!
Is that something like Dyneema or Berd spokes? Weight info, price? More fore/aft adjustment is a welcome change to wide T1 clamps.

Update: 8g less than the old T1 clamp assembly. Now I have to order some :D

themidge

by themidge

Hang on, how do you get the saddle on? Is the carbon thread a continuous loop and if so, how does it get round the saddle rails unbroken? Maybe I'm missing something you can't see in the picture.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Interesting. I had the same question.

poynt

by poynt

they want like 300euros now for the post and loop. So an extra 11euros to save another 8g for complete post assembly? and 49eur for the new parts and it is retrofitable on old T1 posts I believe. Is it just a spliced loop or one end bonded into the little barrels!
Darimo-T1-Loop-seatpost_ultralight-lightweight-dyneema-fiber-rope-saddle-clamp-carbon-seatpost_clamp-10g-actual-weight.jpg

DeiviX

by DeiviX

it is a Dyneema continuous loop

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

It is cool. I think i will try it out. Might also allow for increased forward tilt of the saddle.

I must say, i am impressed with Darimo’s innovation. He keeps pushing the limits! Love it!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com