Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@DeiviX how do you like the bar? Did you reach sub-5? Gotta love having a friend who innovates lightweight parts.

DeiviX

by DeiviX

Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:34 pm
@DeiviX how do you like the bar? Did you reach sub-5? Gotta love having a friend who innovates lightweight parts.
When you meet Damià, it's hard not to be his friend.
The handlebar is very comfortable, especially at the bottom.
I finally got to Sub5!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Waiting to hear of an (custom) integrated stem option, that should be of a very good weight indeed!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

themidge

by themidge

Is there/will there be a classic bend option?

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Primo!! Looks just what I am after

ccache

by ccache

122g road bar (40cm) rated for up to 110kg :shock:

im shook Damià!

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Just waiting on an invoice and I'll have bars with DI2 drilling on their way........

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

OK, so I ordered a dropbar and a seatpost collar, expect photos in 4-5 weeks.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

beanbiken wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:12 am
Just waiting on an invoice and I'll have bars with DI2 drilling on their way........

BB
Ordered.........
BB

Coffee & carbon

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Klaster_1 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:24 am
Do they provide an electronic invoice to pay by credit card? Or is it paypal?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

dereksmalls wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:08 pm
Klaster_1 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:24 am
Do they provide an electronic invoice to pay by credit card? Or is it paypal?
Damia emailed me a link to make CC payment, I didn't see any PP option.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

So I saw the video link showing the bar has been torture tested on a test rig. And this got me thinking. The high-end carbon business is highly competitive. It's likely that all the companies have access to the same high modulus carbon. If that's true then the ligher Darimo bar uses less material than their heavier German counterparts. And as a result of less materials used the bar will be more flexible than the German bars. Now flex may or may not be a bad thing. Some flex could help dampen vibrations and makes the riding experience less fatiguing. But if a flexy bar is better why aren't the German companies doing the same thing? I think if the bar is too flexy it may not inspire confidence, whether or not you need to sprint on the bar. So where do you draw the line? It would be interesting to get some honest feedback on just how flexible these bars are. By looking at the Instagram video I see a lot of flex. I understand there's a lot of forces put on the bar. But even if I tried really hard I can't even bend my bar 2mm. So I'm really curious and would wait for an honest feedback before I buy it.

C36

by C36

pdlpsher1 wrote:So I saw the video link showing the bar has been torture tested on a test rig. And this got me thinking. The high-end carbon business is highly competitive. It's likely that all the companies have access to the same high modulus carbon. If that's true then the ligher Darimo bar uses less material than their heavier German counterparts. And as a result of less materials used the bar will be more flexible than the German bars. Now flex may or may not be a bad thing. Some flex could help dampen vibrations and makes the riding experience less fatiguing. But if a flexy bar is better why aren't the German companies doing the same thing? I think if the bar is too flexy it may not inspire confidence, whether or not you need to sprint on the bar. So where do you draw the line? It would be interesting to get some honest feedback on just how flexible these bars are. By looking at the Instagram video I see a lot of flex. I understand there's a lot of forces put on the bar. But even if I tried really hard I can't even bend my bar 2mm. So I'm really curious and would wait for an honest feedback before I buy it.
Valid question but you can’t consider the video to make any conclusion, that’s a very normal flex in a torture lab.

From Fairwheel test, bars were flexing 3 to 5.5mm under 50 lbf and the iso norm is 220lbf which is the minimum you want the bar to be compliant with.

Regarding the weight, composite allow so many options that you have the Schmolke full over being the second lightest and the second stiffest, way stiffer than the mcfk that his heavier (just to use a other very high end bar)
Image.

Now, I am also curious to see real stiffness results. People feedback on Dropbars is probably the less reliable I have seen, very difficult to isolate the bar from the rest of the bike.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Yeah fair enough.

I will be an early adopter for the darimo road bars. I figure my 130lbs will allow me to get away with most, especially since i am going 400mm. Shorter is usually stiffer. I will report back. Mine will be a tad heavier as i am getting a custom 12k weave to match my felt.

Carbon tech imoroves, and with good design you reinforce where you need it, save in other locations. Also remember that hand made allow for extra customization and fine tuning of layups. Mass priduction sometimes gets heavier to simplify layup schedules, and increase profit/weight.

All my darimo stuff has been scary light, but rock solid with obvious quality carbon work/design. I
Am not a salesman, but i am now slowly equipping my bikes with his gear. It is the best imho.

He does do paypal btw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks for the feedback. I understand that the cross section of the bar also makes a big difference in the stiffness. For example, the THM Ulna bar has very large cross sections on the horizontal part to maximize stiffness. But you can only make them so big without the carbon layer beng too thin. I'm curioius to see what compromises there are in very lightweight bars. I welcome a weight reduction however I've also seen broken Chinese handlebars that have snapped like twigs. As they say there's no free lunch. Please keep us informed when the bars do arrive. Thanks.