Darimo Carbon components, when Spain beats Germany

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lillee

by Lillee

tommasini wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:53 am
For those that have bought unidirectional carbon components from Darimo - I see a lot of pictures in a flat/non glossy finish and they look almost grayish. I am leaning toward a gloss finish - for those that have chosen the gloss - does that appear more blackish (which I'd prefer)........by comparison the Darimo parts in flat finish is a greyish-black while the gloss 3K seems to be a "normal" blackish tint.

Another data point - I currently have 3T carbon stem/bars/seatpost in the version where you can see the carbon fabric through the clear coat (so not painted like some versions of these parts) and these too are "blackish" - I'd like to get similar with the Darimo parts.
Do not be concerned it is not greyish. Only in bright direct light like camera flash or direct sunlight in the right angle it appears grey (sort of like reflective clothing or paint) I assure you it is very much black, I have two seat posts in UD and they are black except in above mentioned circumstances
Attachments
75FAE781-6C88-47AE-8FC2-03B4E4D84775.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

I think tommasini mostly wants to know what the UD components in matte finish look like in real life, as they indeed look grey in every photo.
The photo you included clearly is a UD seatpost in gloss finish, but in every picture it is already sufficiently clear that the gloss finish products look black (because gloss finish makes every color look deeper).
I only have one 3K matte finish seatpost, which looks grey, but that only helps a little because UD looks different.
A video is often better to get a good idea of colors in stead of a photo, maybe search YouTube...

tommasini

by tommasini

Actually I am most interested in how the gloss unidirectional looks. Hoping it's blackish. I was asking because it seems like most people are buying Darimo in matt finish and thats why there's plenty of pictures of that but few of gloss in unidirectional.

I was hoping it was a camera flash/lighting issue for the most part. I do welcome seeing the carbon fabic under bright lights as it gives credit to it being well finished carbon.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I have had many Darimo posts, and currently a half dozen.
Forget the photos or videos trying to show black. YES all the UD posts have a greyish tint to them in real life.
The glossy much less so than the matte finishes, but none are actually solid black.

Your best bet for a solid black finish is to order matte, then paint it.
These are so light that a few grams of paint won't matter.

Lillee

by Lillee

I see, yes it's not deep black like a painted finish for sure. The colour changes with the light angle. Here are two pics on same day illustrating my point, note one pic looks like it's grey if the angle is right but it is black in most angles. IMO it's sufficiently stealthy. I worry they the matte finish isn't as durable as gloss but I could be wrong?

Schmolke TLO's unfinished carbon is much more grey than Darimo gloss finish.

Overall I don't think it detracts from the look of the bike, if I could start again I'd have gone 3K gloss weave for both seatpost and handlebar for extra bling to match the Dallara SLR and Schmolke's woven finish, oh well

PS. The Nexum has finally completed my build to be under 6kg (with all accessories as pictured including Assioma Duo pedals, Canyon bar end bell, wahoo speed sensor, Garmin RTL515, ELEMNT Roam. I'm very happy and can stop throwing money into this thing! :lol:
Attachments
47731FDF-3A95-477E-82C4-924CD3810557.jpeg
15E97FA6-F351-46E6-8A0C-3AD188140006.jpeg
8FBDDE2F-DB77-4294-A79D-36BDBC8E0671.jpeg
C3BA1A63-BA7B-40E7-8936-C3620DABC845.jpeg
96074A62-F2F9-4EA3-9F15-080A1F193437.jpeg
Last edited by Lillee on Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lillee

by Lillee

Here is a pic of my R5 with same seatpost (UD Gloss Black). Yes you could tell that the seatpost is not the same as a highly polished painted black finish but it's not totally out of place either, sort of goes with other glossy black parts like Extralite Hyperstem for example. The seatpost isn't too dissimilar to the Enve SES 3.4 finish actually. The Chris King R45 hubs in gloss black in bright sunlight give off a deep blue tint anyway so it's not entirely all uniform over the whole bike anyway
Attachments
5362971B-B873-4D6D-A922-1FD4EEDB44B8.jpeg

tommasini

by tommasini

Thanks for the posts / pictures. Glad to hear the color is dependent on lighting.

Its also nice to see a side shot of the Nexum bar/stem combo......I've been curious as to how much angle they have on bar (using the drops as a reference) - looks like an appropriate angle (at least to me).

New question for you - looks like your bars have openings for internal cables (brakes).....whats your stem/bar size and how much did the final item weigh? I'm curious because the internal routing is supposed to add a bit of weight in addition to a little added weight for the unidirectional carbon

Lillee

by Lillee

Woops I totally forgot to weigh it! Was too excited to install it (and also it's difficult to weigh an integrated handlebar on my small scales). I may dismantle it in future to refinish some of the holes because they were a bit sharp and may weigh it again then.

I ordered it custom drilled direct from Darimo (their diagram below, I got A K LB)

The finish on my unit wasn't the greatest but nothing too terrible, I think they were quite busy I've the Christmas period?

The drops are a good curve but I feel they could do with more horizontal length at the bar ends, it ends about 1-2cm too short for my liking. It's not a deal breaker but would have been nicer. I'll take a pic for you when I get back to the bike in the next couple of days
Attachments
30F8AC53-AB71-4C8D-B485-4F0331DBCFBC.png

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Curious if anyone had feedback on the new Nexum.. are they stiff?

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Has anyone seen a 350mm t1 loop UD Matt 27.2 in stock anywhere in there world that could ship to CA?

Thank you!

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

ccie6872 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:46 am
Has anyone seen a 350mm t1 loop UD Matt 27.2 in stock anywhere in there world that could ship to CA?

Thank you!
Unstated what your specs are, but some of these models are in stock:
https://r2-bike.com/Seatposts-rigid::en ... __272-mm_3

Starbike is all backordered.

C36

by C36

ccie6872 wrote:Has anyone seen a 350mm t1 loop UD Matt 27.2 in stock anywhere in there world that could ship to CA?

Thank you!
Dulight has stock of 27,2x350 but you will need to check if it’s with the ud finish with then.
https://www.dulight.fr/en/mtb/1273-darimo-t1-loop.html

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Super nice, can't wait to get it on my Aethos.. 120/42
Attachments
C5C7A10F-B75F-4F46-9C46-2A56B074C8AB.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Maddie

by Maddie